Impacts of a Silver-Coated Future
Particle Flow Analysis of Silver Nanoparticles
Version of Record online: 24 OCT 2011
© 2011 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Volume 15, Issue 6, pages 844–854, December 2011
How to Cite
Arvidsson, R., Molander, S. and Sandén, B. A. (2011), Impacts of a Silver-Coated Future. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 15: 844–854. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2011.00400.x
- Issue online: 5 DEC 2011
- Version of Record online: 24 OCT 2011
- 2006. World production and consumption of polyester fibres and thread. Fibre Chemistry 38(3): 264–271.
- 2011. Challenges in exposure modeling of nanoparticles in aquatic environments. Human and Ecological Risk Assessment 17(1): 245–262. , , , and .
- 2008. Ecotoxicity of engineered nanoparticles to aquatic invertebrates: A brief review and recommendations for future toxicity testing. Ecotoxicology 17(5): 387–395. , , , and .
- 2008. Nanoparticle silver released into water from commercially available sock fabrics. Environmental Science & Technology 42(18): 7025–7026. and .
- 2008. Estimation of cumulative aquatic exposure and risk due to silver: Contribution of nano-functionalized plastics and textiles. Science of the Total Environment 390(2–3): 396–409. , , , and .
- 2006. Scenario types and techniques: Towards a user's guide. Futures 38(7): 723–739. , , , , and .
- 2007. Current and future predicted environmental exposure to engineered nanoparticles. York , UK : Central Science Laboratory. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. A discussion of silver as an antimicrobial agent: Alleviating the confusion. Ostomy Wound Management 52(1): 34–41.
- 2009. Mineral commodity summary: Silver. Reston, VA, USA : U.S. Geological Survey.
- 2008. Analysis of mechanical performance of silver inkjet-printed structures. Paper presented at the Second IEEE International Nanoelectronics Conference (INEC 2008), 24–27 March, Pudong , Shanghai , China . , , and .
- 2000. The IPAT equation and its variants. Journal of Industrial Ecology 4(4): 13–29.
- 2003. The potential environmental impact of engineered nanomaterials. Nature Biotechnology 21(10): 1166–1170.
- 1996. Silver hazards to fish, wildlife and invertebrates: A synoptic review. Washington DC , USA : U.S. Department of the Interior.
- 2009. The behavior of silver nanotextiles during washing. Environmental Science & Technology 43(21): 8113–8118. , , and .
- 2005. SilvaGard technology summary. Beaverton , OR , USA : AcryMed, Inc.
- 2005. The role of antimicrobial silver nanotechnology. Medical Device & Diagnostic Industry Magazine, August. http://www.mddionline.com/article/role-antimicrobial-silver-nanotechnology. Accessed August 2011. and .
- 2009. Modeled environmental concentrations of engineered nanomaterials (TiO2, ZnO, Ag, CNT, fullerenes) for different regions. Environmental Science & Technology 43(24): 9216–9222. , , , and .
- 1998. Technology and global change. Cambridge , UK : Cambridge University Press.
- 2008. The ecotoxicology and chemistry of manufactured nanoparticles. Ecotoxicology 17(4): 287–314. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Categorization framework to aid hazard identification of nanomaterials. Nanotoxicology 1(3): 243–250. , , , and .
- 1988. Consider a spherical cow: A course in environmental problem solving. Sausalito , CA , USA : University Science Books.
- 2007. Our silver-coated future. OnEarth Magazine September 1. http://www.onearth.org/article/our-silver-coated-future. Accessed August 2011.
- 2010. Personal communication with G. Jablonski, President, PChem Associates, Inc. Bensalem, PA, USA, 26 March.
- 2009. Characterization of size, surface charge, and agglomeration state of nanoparticle dispersions for toxicological studies. Journal of Nanoparticle Research 11(1): 77–89. , , and .
- 2008. Manufactured nanoparticles: An overview of their chemistry, interactions and potential environmental implications. Science of the Total Environment 400(1–3): 396–414. and .
- 2008. Nanomaterials in the environment: Behaviour, fate, bioavailability, and effects. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 27(9): 1825–1851. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Environmental evaluation of new technology: Printed electronics case study. Journal of Cleaner Production 17(9): 791–799. , , , and .
- 2006. The contemporary European silver cycle. Resources, Conservation and Recycling 46(1): 27–43. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Silver nanotechnologies and the environment: Old problems or new challenges? Washington, DC : Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, Project on Emerging Nanotechnologies, and the PEW Charitable Trusts.
- 2008. Nanotechnology: A realistic market assessment. Wellesley , MA , USA : BCC Research.
- 2008. Cotton and wool situation and outlook yearbook. Washington, DC : U.S. Department of Agriculture. , , and .
- 2008. Material security: Ensuring resource availability for the UK. Chester , UK : UK Environment Agency and Department for Business Enterprise & Regulatory Reform. and .
- 2008. Exposure modeling of engineered nanoparticles in the environment. Environmental Science & Technology 42(12): 4447–4453. and .
- 2005. Nanotoxicology: An emerging discipline evolving from studies of ultrafine particles. Environmental Health Perspectives 113(7): 823–839. , , and .
- 2007. Does the antibacterial activity of silver nanoparticles depend on the shape of the nanoparticle? A study of the gram-negative bacterium Escherichia coli. Applied Environmental Microbiology 73(6): 1712–1720. , , and .
- 2005. Roadmap report on nanoparticles. Barcelona , Spain : NanoRoadMap Project. , , and .
- Project on Emerging Nanotechnologies. 2009. Online inventory of nanotechnology-based consumer products. http://www.nanotechproject.org/inventories/consumer/analysis_draft/. Accessed August 2011.
- 1999. Bioaccumulation and toxicity of silver compounds: A review. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 18(1): 89–108.
- 2009. E-waste: An assessment of global production and environmental impacts. Science of the Total Environment 408(2): 183–191.
- 2006. Silver as biocides in burn and wound dressings and bacterial resistance to silver compounds. Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology 33(7): 627–634. , , and .
- Silver Institute. 2008. The current state of nanosilver markets. Silver News, Second Quarter.
- 2005. Creating the twentieth century: Technical innovations of 1867–1914 and their lasting impact. Cary , NC , USA : Oxford University Press.
- 1993. Ecological risk assessment. Cambridge , UK : Cambridge University Press. , , , , and .
- United Nations. 2008. World population prospects: The 2008 revision. Executive summary. New York : United Nations.
- 2002. Substance flow analysis methodology. In A handbook of industrial ecology, edited by R. U. Ayres and L. W. Ayres. Cheltenham , UK : Edward Elgar. .
- 2008. Ecotoxicity of silica nanoparticles to the green alga Pseudokirchneriella subcapitata: Importance of surface area. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 27(9): 1948–1957. , , , , and .
- 2007. Risk assessment of chemicals. New York : Springer. and .
- 2009. Topical silver for treating infected wounds. London: The Cochrane Collaboration. , , , and