The Physical Economy of the United States of America
Extraction, Trade, and Consumption of Materials from 1870 to 2005
Version of Record online: 1 DEC 2011
© 2011 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Volume 16, Issue 3, pages 365–377, June 2012
How to Cite
Gierlinger, S. and Krausmann, F. (2012), The Physical Economy of the United States of America. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 16: 365–377. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2011.00404.x
- Issue online: 1 JUN 2012
- Version of Record online: 1 DEC 2011
- 1945. Asphalts and allied substances. Their occurrence, modes of production, use in the arts and methods of testing . Raw materials and manufactured products, Vol. 1. New York : D. van Nostrand.
- 2008. Die USA im 20. Jahrhundert [The United States in the 20th Century] . München , Germany : Oldenbourg Verlag.
- 1997. Resource flows: The material basis of industrial economies . Washington , DC : World Resources Institute. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Turning point: The end of exponential growth? Technological Forecasting and Social Change 73(9): 1188–1203.
- 2004. Is the U.S. economy dematerializing? Main indicators and drivers. In Economics of industrial ecology. Materials, structural change, and spatial scales , edited by J. C. J. M. van den Bergh and A. M. Janssen, 57–93. Cambridge , MA : MIT Press. , , and .
- 2003. Exergy, power and work in the US economy, 1900–1998. Energy 28(3): 219–273. , , and .
- 2004. Rising foreign outsourcing and employment losses in U.S. manufacturing, 1987–2002 . Amherst : University of Massachusetts. , , and .
- 2003. A consumers’ republic: The politics of mass consumption in postwar America . New York : Knopf.
- 1992. Natures metropolis. Chicago and the great west . New York : W.W. Norton.
- 2005. On the great plains: Agriculture and environment . College Station , TX : Texas A&M University Press.
- 2009. Sustaining soil fertility. Agricultural practice in the old and new worlds. Global Environment 4: 9–43. and .
- Eurostat. 2007. Economy wide material flow accounts and resource productivity. EU15 1970–2004 . Luxembourg : European Statistical Office.
- Eurostat. 2009. Economy wide material flow accounts. Compilation guidelines for reporting to the 2009 Eurostat questionnaire (version 01 – June 2009) . Luxembourg : European Statistical Office.
- FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization). 2005. FAOSTAT 2005, FAO statistical databases: Agriculture, fisheries, forestry, nutrition . Rome : FAO.
- FAO. 2006. FISHSTAT plus. Universal software for fishery statistical time series, version 2.3 . Rome : Fisheries Department, Fishery Information, Data and Statistics Unit.
- FAO. 2009. FAOSTAT 2009. http://faostat.fao.org/site/573/default.aspx#ancor. Rome : FAO.
- 2011. Methodology and indicators of economy-wide material flow accounting. State of the art and reliability across sources. Journal of Industrial Ecology . DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2011.00366.x. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Metal stocks and sustainability. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 103(5): 1209–1214. , , and .
- 1998. Technology and global change . Cambridge , MA : Cambridge University Press.
- 2011. A socio-metabolic transition towards sustainability? Challenges for another great transformation. Sustainable Development 19(1): 1–14. , , , , and .
- 2007. US timber production, trade, consumption and price statistics, 1965 to 2005 . Research paper FPL-RP-637. Washington , DC : U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service.
- IEA (International Energy Agency). 2007. Energy statistics of OECD countries, 2007 edition (CD-ROM). Paris : IEA, Organisation of Economic Co-Operation and Development (OECD).
- 1900. Das Getreide im Welthandel: I Statistische Tabellen über Production, Handel, Consum, Preise, Frachtsätze und Kündigungen. [World trade of cereals: Statistical tables of production, trade, consumption, prices, freight rates and terminations.] . Wien , Austria : K. Frick. .
- 2008. Historical statistics for mineral and material commodities in the United States, version 3.0 . Washington , DC : USGS. and .
- 2008a. Global patterns of socioeconomic biomass flows in the year 2000: A comprehensive assessment of supply, consumption and constraints. Ecological Economics 65(3): 471–487. , , , , and .
- 2008b. The global socio-metabolic transition: Past and present metabolic profiles and their future trajectories. Journal of Industrial Ecology 12(5/6): 637–656. , , , and .
- 2009. Growth in global materials use, GDP and population during the 20th century. Ecological Economics 68(10): 2696–2705. , , , , , and .
- 2011. The metabolic transition in Japan: A material flow account for the period 1878 to 2005. Journal of Industrial Ecology . DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2011.00376.x. , , and .
- 2008c. Socio-ecological regime transitions in Austria and the United Kingdom. Ecological Economics 65(1): 187–201. , , and .
- 2008. Historical Statistics for the World Economy: 1-2006 AD . http://www.ggdc.net/maddison/. Accessed October 2009.
- 1978. Natural resource commodities – A century of statistics. Prices, output, consumption, foreign trade and employment in the United States, 1870–1973 . Baltimore , MD : John Hopkins University Press.
- 2007. Global, regional, and national CO2 emissions. In Trends: A compendium of data on global change . Oak Ridge , TN : Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center (CDIAC), Oak Ridge National Laboratory, U.S. Department of Energy. , , and .
- 2009. Use of minerals and materials in the United States from 1900 through 2006. U.S. Geological Survey fact sheet 2009–3008 . Reston , VA : USGS.
- 1998. Consumption of materials in the United States, 1900–1995. Annual Review of Energy and the Environment 23: 107–122. and .
- 2003. International historical statistics. New York : Palgrave Macmillan.
- 2009. The sustainability of mining in Australia – Key production trends and their environmental implications for the future (updated version ). Research Report No. RR5, Department of Civil Engineering, Monash University and the Mineral Policy Institute.
- 2006. Exploring the engine of anthropogenic iron cycles. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 103(44): 16111–16116. , , , and .
- 2009. The raw material equivalents of international trade. Journal of Industrial Ecology 13(6): 881–898. , , and .
- 2011. Growth in emission transfers via international trade from 1990 to 2008. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 108(21): 8903–8908. , , , and .
- 1962. Trends in natural resource commodities. Statistics of prices, output, consumption, foreign trade, and employment in the United States 1870–1957 . Baltimore , MD : John Hopkins University Press. and .
- 2008. Urban structure and energy: A review. Urban Policy and Research 26(1): 57–81. , , and .
- RITA (Research and Innovative Technology Administration). 2010. National transportation statistics . Washington , DC : Research and Innovative Technology Administration, U.S. Department of Transportation.
- 2008. Material flows in the United States: A physical accounting of the U.S. industrial economy . Washington , DC : World Resources Institute. , , , and .
- 2002. Material flow accounts: The USA and the world. In A handbook of industrial ecology , edited by R. U. Ayres and L. W. Ayres, 260–277. Cheltenham , Northampton , UK : Edward Elgar. and .
- 2002. Changes in the United Kingdom's natural relations in terms of society's metabolism and land use from 1850 to the present day. Ecological Economics 41(2): 203–221. and .
- 2009. The dematerialization potential of the Australian economy. Journal of Industrial Ecology 13(6): 863–880. and .
- 2010. Resource use and resource efficiency in the Asia-Pacific region. Global Environmental Change 20(4): 636–647. and .
- 2004. International comparisons of energy end use: Benefits and risks. In Encyclopedia of energy , edited by C. J. Cleveland, 529–555. Amsterdam : Elsevier.
- 1960. Energy in the American economy 1850–1975. An economic study of its history and prospects . Baltimore , MD : John Hopkins University Press. and .
- 2006. Materials in use in U.S. interstate highways. U.S. Geological Survey fact sheet 2006-3127. Washington , DC : USGS.
- 2000. 20th century U.S. mineral prices decline in constant dollars. Open File Report 00-389. Washington , DC : USGS. , , and .
- UNEP (United Nations Environment Programme). 2011. Decoupling natural resource use and environmental impacts from economic growth. A Report of the Working Group on Decoupling to the International Resource Panel. , , , , , , , , , , , and http://www.unep.org/resourcepanel/decoupling/files/pdf/Decoupling_Report_English.pdf.
- United Nations Statistical Division. 2008. UN commodity trade statistics database (UN Comtrade). http://comtrade.un.org/. Accessed 16 June 2011.
- U.S. Bureau of the Census. 1975. Historical statistics of the United States. Bicentennial Edition . Washington , DC : U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census.
- U.S. Bureau of Mines. 1987. An appraisal of minerals availability for 34 commodities. Bulletin 692. Washington , DC : U.S. Government Printing Office.
- USGS (U.S. Geological Survey). 2006. Steel stocks in use in automobiles in the United States . U.S. Geological Survey fact sheet 2005-3144. Washington , DC : USGS.
- 2010. Energy use and economic development: A comparative analysis of useful work supply in Austria, Japan, the United Kingdom and the USA during 100 years of economic growth. Ecological Economics 69(10): 1904–1917. , , , , and .
- 2011. Decreasing metal ore grades. Are they really being driven by the depletion of high-grade deposits? Journal of Industrial Ecology 15(2): 165–168.
- 2000. Human use of land and organic materials. Modeling the turnover of biomass in the global food system . Göteborg , Sweden : Chalmers University .
- World Bank Group. 2010. World dataBank. World Development Indicators (WDI) & Global Development Finance (GDF). http://databank.worldbank.org. Accessed October 2011.