From Energy to Environmental Analysis
Improving the Resolution of the Environmental Impact of Dutch Private Consumption with Hybrid Analysis
Article first published online: 17 JAN 2012
© 2012 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Volume 16, Issue 2, pages 163–175, April 2012
How to Cite
Benders, R. M.J., Moll, H. C. and Nijdam, D. S. (2012), From Energy to Environmental Analysis. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 16: 163–175. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2011.00408.x
- Issue published online: 5 APR 2012
- Article first published online: 17 JAN 2012
- 2004. ‘Green’ consumption—no solution for climate change. Energy 29(4): 513–524.
- 2001. Description and application of the EAP computer program for calculating life-cycle energy use and greenhouse gas emissions of household consumption items. International Journal of Environment and Pollution 15(2): 171–182. , , , and .
- 1999. Energy requirements of household consumption: A case study of The Netherlands. Ecological Economics 28(3): 367–383. and .
- 2008. Milieueffecten van Nederlandse consumptie van eiwitrijke producten. BMA/VROM, Gouda/Den Haag. , , and .
- 1978. Net energy analysis: Handbook for combining process and input-output analysis. Resources and Energy 1(3): 267–313. , , and .
- 1976. Reducing uncertainty in energy analysis. CAC Document 205, Center for Advanced Computation. Urbana , IL , USA : University of Illinois. and .
- 2003. Food and life cycle energy inputs: Consequences of diet and ways to increase efficiency. Ecological Economics 44(2): 293–307. , , and .
- 2005. Indirect and direct energy requirements of city households in Sweden: Options for reduction, lessons from modeling. Journal of Industrial Ecology 9(1-2): 221–235. , , , and .
- CBS. 2002. Household expenditure survey 2000. Computer file. Voorburg/Heerlen , Netherlands: Statistics Netherlands .
- 2005. Energy requirements of households in Brazil. Energy Policy 33(4): 555–562. , , and .
- 2007. Variations in land requirements for meat production. Journal of Cleaner Production 15(18): 1778–1786. and .
- 1994. Calculating the energy requirements of household purchases. A practical step by step method. Energy Policy 22(8): 648–656. , , , and .
- EurElectric. 2000. Statistics and prospects for the European electricity sector (1980–1998, 2000–2020). Brussels , Belgium : EurElectric.
- European Commission. 2007. ELCD, European Life Cycle Data. EC-EJR-IES. Brussels , Belgium : European Commission .
- 2004. Uncertainty assessment of NOx, SO2 and NH3 emissions in the Netherlands. TNO Report R 2004/100. Delft , the Netherlands : Netherlands Organization for Applied Scientific Research . , , , and .
- 2002. Handbook on life cycle assessment: Operational guide to the ISO standards. Dordecht , the Netherlands : Kluwer Academic Publishers/Springer. , ed.
- 1998. Economic input-output models for environmental life-cycle assessment. Environmental Science & Technology Policy Analysis 32(7): 184A–191A. , , , and .
- 2002. Sensitivity analysis of total CO2 emission intensities estimated using an input-output table. Applied Energy 72(3-4): 689–704. , , and .
- 2006. Is cumulative fossil energy demand a useful indicator for the environmental performance of products? Environmental Science & Technology 40(3): 641–648. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. A model for the study of policy issues in relation to the economy, technology and the environment. In Economics of industrial ecology: Materials structural change and spatial scales, edited by J. C. J. M. Van den Bergh and M. A. Janssen, 223–252. Cambridge , MA , USA : MIT Press. and .
- 2006. Measuring the environmental load of household consumption using some methods based on input-output energy analysis: a comparison of methods and a discussion of results. Energy Policy 34(17): 2744–2761. , , and .
- 2001. Energy-intensities of household expenditures in the Netherlands in 1996 [in Dutch]. IVEM Research Report 105. Groningen , the Netherlands : University of Groningen . , , and .
- 1998. Energy and greenhouse gas cost of living for Australia during 1993/1994. Energy 23(6): 497–516.
- 2005. Pursuing more sustainable consumption by analyzing household metabolism in European countries and cities. Journal of Industrial Ecology 9(1-2): 259–275. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Development of a consumer environmental index and results for Washington state consumers. Journal of Industrial Ecology 14(3): 399–421. and .
- 2000. Impact of household consumption on CO2 emissions. Energy Economics 22(4): 423–430. , , and .
- 2005. Using input-output analysis to measure the environmental pressure of consumption at different spatial levels. Journal of Industrial Ecology 9(1–2): 169–185. , , , and .
- 2005. Environmental load from Dutch private consumption. Journal of Industrial Ecology 9(1–2): 147–168. , , , and .
- OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development). 2002. Towards sustainable household consumption? Trends and Policies in OECD Countries, OECD Policy Brief. Paris : OECD .
- 2009. Uncertainty in the Netherlands’ greenhouse gas emission inventory: Estimation of the level and trend uncertainty using the IPCC Tier 1 approach. PBL Publication 500080013. The Hague : Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency . , , and .
- 2002. Direct and indirect energy requirements of households in India. Energy Policy 30(6): 511–523. and .
- 2007. MFA model to assess economic and environmental consequences of food production and consumption. Ecological Economics 60: 700–711. and .
- 2005. Industrial ecology and input-output economics: an introduction. Economic Systems Research 17(4): 349–364. and .
- 2004. System boundary selection in life-cycle inventories using hybrid approaches. Environmental Science & Technology 38(3): 657–664. , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. The impacts of household consumption and options for change. Journal of Industrial Ecology 14(1): 13–30. , , , and .
- 2006. Environmental impacts of products, policy relevant information and data challenges. Journal of Industrial Ecology 10(3): 183–198. , , and .
- 2005. Environmental impacts of products (EIPRO)—Analysis of the life cycle environmental impacts related to the total final consumption of the EU25. Full draft report, 29 April 2005. Brussels , Belgium : European Commission. , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Environmental impacts of products. A detailed review of studies. Journal of Industrial Ecology 10(3): 159–181. and .
- UN (United Nations). 1992. Earth summit, Agenda 21: The United Nations programme of actions from Rio. http://www.un.org/esa/dsd/agenda21/index.shtml. Accessed 10 November 2011.
- UN. 2002. Report of the World Summit on Sustainable Development (2002), Johannesburg, South Africa, 26 August–4 September 2002. http://www.johannesburgsummit.org/html/documents/documents.html. Accessed 20 May 2011.
- UN. 2010. United Nations Statistics Division. COICOP, Detailed structure and explanatory notes. http://unstats.un.org/unsd/cr/registry/regcst.asp?Cl=5. Accessed 20 May 2011.
- 2010. A hybrid multi-region method (HMR) for assessing the environmental impact of private consumption. Ecological Economics 69(12): 2510–2516. , , , , , , and ,
- 1995. The direct and indirect energy requirement of households in the Netherlands. Energy Policy 23(10): 893–910. and .
- 2008a. Food-miles and the relative climate impacts of food choices in the United States. Environmental Science & Technology 42(10): 3508–3513. and .
- 2008b. Quantifying the global and distributional aspects of American household carbon footprint. Ecological Economics 66(2–3): 379–391. and .
- 1996. An energy perspective on economic activities. Ph.D. thesis, University of Groningen , Gronigen , the Netherlands .
- 1999. EAP – Energy Analysis Program. IVEM Research Report 98. Groningen , the Netherlands : University of Groningen. , , , , and .