Sources of Variation in Life Cycle Assessments of Desktop Computers
Version of Record online: 20 MAR 2012
© 2012 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Special Issue: Meta-Analysis of Life Cycle Assessments
Volume 16, Issue Supplement s1, pages S182–S194, April 2012
How to Cite
Teehan, P. and Kandlikar, M. (2012), Sources of Variation in Life Cycle Assessments of Desktop Computers. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 16: S182–S194. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2011.00431.x
- Issue online: 3 MAY 2012
- Version of Record online: 20 MAR 2012
- 2010. Life cycle assessments of consumer electronics: Are they consistent? International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 15(8): 827–836. and .
- Apple. 2010a. Mac mini environmental report. http://images.apple.com/environment/reports/docs/Macmini-Product_Environment-al_Report_2010615.pdf. Accessed 13 June 2011.
- Apple. 2010b. Mac pro environmental report. http://images.apple.com/environment/reports/docs/MacPro_Product_Environment-al_Report.pdf. Accessed 13 June 2011.
- Atlantic Consulting. 1998. LCA study of the product group personal computers in the EU Ecolabel scheme . Brussels , Belgium : European Commission.
- 2009. Evolution of product lifespan and implications for environmental assessment and management: A case study of personal computers in higher education. Environmental Science & Technology 43(13): 5106–5112. , , , and .
- 2009. Life-cycle energy demand and global warming potential of computational logic. Environmental Science & Technology 43(19): 7303–7309. , , and .
- 2006. Development of environmental performance indicators for ICT products on the example of personal computer . Brussels , Belgium : European Commission. and .
- 2006. Life cycle assessment of a personal computer and its effective recycling rate. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 11(2): 122–128. , , , and .
- Climate Group, Global e-Sustainability Initiative, and McKinsey & Company. 2008. Smart2020: Enabling the low carbon economy in the information age . London : Climate Group. http://www.smart2020.org. Accessed 9 August 2011.
- 2007. Life cycle inventories of energy systems: Results for current systems in Switzerland and other UCTE countries . Duebendorf , Switzerland : Swiss Centre for Life Cycle Inventories. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Life cycle assessment study of a Chinese desktop personal computer. Science of the Total Environment 407(5): 1755–1764. , , , , and .
- ESRI (Economic and Social Research Institute). 2007. Monthly consumer confidence survey covering all of Japan (summary). Tokyo , Japan : Economic and Social Research Institute. http://www.esri.cao.go.jp/en/stat/shouhi/shouhi-e.html.
- 2007. Key environmental impacts of the Chinese EEE industry – A life cycle assessment study. St. Gallen , Switzerland and Beijing , China : Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Testing and Research (EMPA) and Tsinghua University China. , , and .
- 1996. Design for environment: creating eco-efficient products and processes . New York : McGraw-Hill.
- 2005. Life cycle assessment of a personal computer . Research thesis, University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba , Australia .
- 2007. Life cycle inventories of electric and electronic equipment: Production, use and disposal . Ecoinvent report 18. Duebendorf , Switzerland : Swiss Centre for Life Cycle Inventories. , , , and .
- ITRS (International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors). 2009. International technology roadmap for semiconductors, 2009 edition, executive summary . http://www.itrs.net. Accessed 9 March 2012.
- IVF (Industrial Research and Development Corporation). 2007. Preparatory studies for eco-design requirements of EuPs, lot 3, personal computers (desktops and laptops) and computer monitors . IVF report 07004. Mölndal , Sweden : IVF.
- 2009. Energy and environmental impacts of personal computing: A best practice review prepared for the Joint Information Services Committee (JISC) . SustainIT , UK Centre for Economic and Environmental Development. http://www.susteit.org.uk/uploads/DOCS/55-personal_computers_final_27_5_09_v2.doc. Accessed 9 March 2012. and .
- JEITA (Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association). 2006. Research report on collection, disposal, recycling situation of IT products [in Japanese]. Tokyo : JEITA.
- 2001. Electricity used by office equipment and network equipment in the U.S.: Detailed report and appendices . Technical report LBNL-45917. Berkeley , CA , USA : Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Methodology study of energy-using products . Delft , Netherlands and Brussels , Belgium : VHK and European Commission. , , , and .
- 2008. A hybrid life cycle inventory of nano-scale semiconductor manufacturing. Environmental Science & Technology 42(8): 3069–3075. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Greenhouse gas emissions and operational electricity use in the ICT and entertainment & media sectors. Journal of Industrial Ecology 14(5): 770–790. , , , , and .
- 2005. Optimization of product life cycles to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in California . CEC-500-2005-110-F. Sacramento , CA , USA : California Energy Commission, PIER Energy-Related Environmental Research. , , , , and .
- MCC (Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corporation). 1993. Environmental consciousness: A strategic competitiveness issue for the electronics and computer industry, summary report: International analysis, conclusions and recommendations . Austin , TX , USA : MCC.
- 2008. Office plug load field monitoring report . CEC-500-2011-010. Sacramento , CA , USA : California Energy Commission, PIER Energy-Related Environmental Research Program. , and .
- MTP (Market Transformation Program). 2006. Monitoring home computers . London : Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs.
- 2004. Energy consumption of home information technology . LBNL-5350. Berkeley , CA , USA : Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. and .
- 2006. Estimation of lifetime distributions and waste numbers of 23 types of electrical and electronic equipment [in Japanese]. Journal of Japan Waste Management Association 17(1): 50–60. , , and .
- 2006. Energy use of plug load devices in California homes: Field research report . Durango, CO , USA : Ecos Consulting. , , and .
- 2002. Energy consumption by office and telecommunications equipment in commercial buildings. Volume I: Energy consumption baseline . Arthur D. Little reference 72895-00. Cambridge , MA , USA : Arthur D. Little, Inc. , , and .
- 2007. Energy consumption by consumer electronics in U.S. residences . TIAX D5525. Cambridge , MA , USA : TIAX. and .
- 2005. Technical and legal application possibilities of the compulsory labelling of the standby consumption of electrical household and office appliances . Karlsruhe , Germany : Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research ISI. , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. A review of the environmental fate and effects of hazardous substances released from electrical and electronic equipments during recycling: Examples from China and India. Environmental Impact Assessment Review 30(1): 28–41. , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Watching Rome burn: PC empires threatened by extending life cycles . Stamford , CT , USA : Gartner Inc.
- 1997. Life cycle assessment: An approach to environmentally friendly PCs. Proceedings of the 1997 IEEE International Symposium on Electronics and the Environment , San Francisco , CA , USA , 5–7 May 1997, pp. 125–130. , , and .
- U.S. EPA (Environmental Protection Agency). 2005. ENERGY STAR computer specification energy savings assumptions . Washington , DC : U.S. EPA.
- U.S. EPA (Environmental Protection Agency). 2010. Savings calculator for ENERGY STAR qualified office equipment . Washington , DC : U.S. EPA.
- 2004. Energy intensity of computer manufacturing: Hybrid assessment combining process and economic input-output methods. Environmental Science & Technology 38(22): 6166–6174.
- 2005. Residential computer usage patterns in Japan and associated life cycle energy use. In Proceedings of the International Symposium on Electronics and the Environment , New Orleans , LA , USA , 16–19 May 2005, pp. 177–182. and .
- 2002. The 1.7 kilogram microchip: Energy and material use in the production of semiconductor devices. Environmental Science & Technology 36(24): 5504–5510. , , and .
- 2010. Comparative assessment of life cycle assessment methods used for personal computers. Environmental Science & Technology 44(19): 7335–7346. , , , , and .
- 2007. Material flow of used PCs in Japan. Proceedings of the 2007 IEEE International Symposium on Electronics and the Environment , Orlando , FL , USA , 7–10 May 2007, pp. 46–51. , , and .
- 2009. Material flow analysis of used personal computers in Japan. Waste Management 29(5): 1602–1614. , , and .