Meta-Analysis of Life Cycle Assessment Studies on Electricity Generation with Carbon Capture and Storage
Article first published online: 27 MAR 2012
© 2012 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Special Issue: Meta-Analysis of Life Cycle Assessments
Volume 16, Issue Supplement s1, pages S155–S168, April 2012
How to Cite
Schreiber, A., Zapp, P. and Marx, J. (2012), Meta-Analysis of Life Cycle Assessment Studies on Electricity Generation with Carbon Capture and Storage. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 16: S155–S168. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2011.00435.x
- Issue published online: 3 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 27 MAR 2012
- 2009. Personal communication concerning impact figures based on NEEDS results with C. Bauer, researcher, Paul Scherrer Institut (PSI), Villingen, Switzerland.
- 2008. Life cycle assessment and external costs of future fossil power technologies including carbon capture and storage (CCS). Paper presented at Smart Energy Strategies 2008, 8–10 September 2008, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland. eBook available at http://www.vdf.ethz.ch/vdf.asp?isbnNr=3218, pp. 25–26. , , , , and .
- 2003. Environmental analysis of different options of CO2 capture in power generation from natural gas. In Greenhouse gas control technologies , edited by J. Gale and Y. Kaya, 63–68. Oxford , UK : Elsevier Science Ltd. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Life-cycle analysis of a shell gasification-based multi-product system with CO2 recovery. Proceedings of the First National Conference on Carbon Sequestration , 14–17 May 2001, Washington, DC, USA. , , , , , , and .
- Doosan Babcock Energy, Oxyfuel Combustion R&D Activities. 2009. Paper presented at the 9th APGTF Workshop on Carbon Abatement Technologies—Development and Implementation of Future UK Strategy, 11–12 February, London, UK, available at http://www.apgtf-uk.com.
- Ecoinvent Centre. 2007. Ecoinvent data v2.0, 2007, Swiss Centre for Life Cycle Inventories. http://www.ecoinvent.ch. Accessed March 2012.
- 2002. Handbook on life cycle assessment: Operational guide to the ISO standards. Dordrecht : Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- 1998. Perspectives in life cycle impact assessment: A structural approach to combine models of the technosphere, ecosphere and valuesphere. Dissertation 12806, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, Switzerland.
- IEA (International Energy Agency) Greenhouse Gas R&D Programme. 2006. Environmental impact of solvent scrubbing of CO2 . 2006/14. Paris : IEA.
- ISO (International Organization for Standardization). 2006. 14040/14044. Environmental management–Life cycle assessment–Principles and framework–Requirements and guidelines . http://www.iso.org. Accessed March 2012.
- 2006. Life cycle investigation of CO2 recovery and sequestration. Environmental Science and Technology 40(12): 4016–4024.
- 2008. Life cycle assessment of a pulverized coal power plant with post combustion capture, transport and storage of CO2. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 2(4): 448–467. , , , and .
- 2009. Life cycle modeling of fossil fuel power generation with post combustion. Energy Procedia 1: 3771–3778. , , and
- 2003. Life cycle assessment comparison of technical solutions for CO2 emission reduction in power generation. Energy Conversion and Management 44(1): 93–108.
- 2010. Environmental evaluation of CCS using life cycle assessment (LCA). Technical Report 2010/TR2, IEA Greenhouse Gas R&D Programme, Cheltenham, UK. , , , , , and .
- 2009. LCA as an ecodesign tool for production of electricity, including carbon capture and storage—A study of a gas power plant case with post-combustion CO2 capture at Tjeldbergodden. Proceedings of the Conference: Joint Actions on Climate Change , 8–10 June 2009, Aalborg, Denmark. Full conference paper available at http://gin.confex.com/gin/2009/webprogram/Paper2122.html. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Life cycle assessment for CO2 capture technology from exhaust gas of coal power plant. In Greenhouse gas control technologies , edited by J. Gale and Y. Kaya, 57–62. Oxford , UK : Elsevier Science Ltd. and .
- NEEDS (New Energy Externalities Developments for Sustainability). 2008. Final report on technical data, costs, and life cycle inventories of advanced fossil power generation systems . Stuttgart , Germany : Paul Scherrer Institut (PSI) und Institut für Energiewirtschaft und Rationelle Energieanwendung, Universität Stuttgart (IER).
- 2008. Life cycle GHG assessment of fossil fuel power plants with carbon capture and storage. Energy Policy 36(1): 367–380. and .
- OECD (Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development)/IEA (International Energy Agency). 2007. World energy outlook. Paris : OECD. http://www.iea.org/weo/2007.asp.
- 2008. Life cycle assessment of carbon dioxide capture and storage from lignite power plants. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 3(1): 49–66. and .
- 2008. The role of atmospheric dispersion models and ecosystem sensitivity in the determination of characterisation factors for acidifying and eutrophying emissions in LCIA. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 13: 477–486. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Environmental assessment of German electricity production from coal-fired power plants with amine-based carbon capture. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 14: 547–559. , , and .
- 2006. Country-dependent characterisation factors for acidification and terrestrial eutrophication based on accumulated exceedance as an impact category indicator. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 11: 403–446. , , , and .
- 2004. Biomass power and conventional fossil systems with and without CO2 sequestration comparing the energy balance, greenhouse gas emissions and economics . BB04.4010. Golden , CO , USA : National Renewable Energy Laboratory. and .
- 2007. RECCS Strukturell-ökonomisch-ökologischer Vergleich regenerativer Energietechnologien (RE) mit Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) [RECCS—Ecological, economic and structural comparison of renewable energy technologies (RE) with carbon capture and storage (CCS)]. Berlin: Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU). , , , et al.
- 2007. Life cycle assessment of selected technologies for CO2 transport and sequestration. Diploma Thesis 2007MSO5. Zurich : Swiss Federal Institute of Technology.