Life Cycle Greenhouse Gas Emissions of Utility-Scale Wind Power
Systematic Review and Harmonization
Article first published online: 30 MAR 2012
© 2012 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Special Issue: Meta-Analysis of Life Cycle Assessments
Volume 16, Issue Supplement s1, pages S136–S154, April 2012
How to Cite
Dolan, S. L. and Heath, G. A. (2012), Life Cycle Greenhouse Gas Emissions of Utility-Scale Wind Power. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 16: S136–S154. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00464.x
- Issue published online: 3 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 30 MAR 2012
- 2008. Energy performances and life cycle assessment of an Italian wind farm. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 12(1): 200–217. , , , and .
- 1998. Power generation and the environment—A UK perspective . Oxfordshire , UK : AEA Technology. , , , , and .
- Life cycle greenhouse gas emissions of trough and tower concentrating solar power electricity generation: Systematic review and harmonization. Journal of Industrial Ecology . DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00474.x. Forthcoming. , , and . 2012.
- 2003. Wind turbine (WT) systems . Final report. Environmental and Ecological Life Cycle Inventories for Present and Future Power Systems in Europe (ECLIPSE). Brussels, Belgium: European Commission. and .
- 2009. Life cycle energy and greenhouse emissions analysis of wind turbines and the effect of size on energy yield. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 13(9): 2653–2660.
- 2007. Life cycle assessment and energy synthesis of a theoretical offshore wind farm for Jacksonville, Florida. Master's thesis, University of Florida , Gainesville , FL , USA .
- 2005. Externalities of energy: Extension of accounting framework and policy applications . Villigen , Switzerland : ExternE-Pol. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Life cycle inventories of energy systems: Results for current systems in Switzerland and other UCTE countries . Ecoinvent Database v2.0. Dübendorf , Switzerland : Ecoinvent Centre. , , , , , , , and .
- DONG Energy. 2008. Life cycle approaches to assess emerging energy technologies: Final report on offshore wind technology . New Energy Externalities Developments for Sustainability (NEEDS). Sixth Framework Programme. Project no. 502687. Fredericia , Denmark : DONG Energy.
- EIA (Energy Information Administration). 2009. Emissions of greenhouse gases report . Washington , DC : EIA .
- Enel SpA. 2004. Certified environmental product declaration of electricity from Enel's wind plant in Sclafani Bagni (Palermo, Italy) . Rome , Italy : Enel SpA.
- European Commission. 1995. ExternE: Externalities of energy . Volume 6: Wind & Hydro. EUR 16525 EN. Luxembourg : DGXII Science, Research and Development.
- 2006. Ethanol can contribute to energy and environmental goals. Science 311(5760): 506–508. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Changes in atmospheric constituents and in radiative forcing. In Climate change 2007: The physical science basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, edited by S. Solomon, D. Qin, M. Manning, Z. Chen, M. Marquis, K. B. Averyt, M. Tignor, and H. L. Miller. Cambridge , UK : Cambridge University Press. , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1998. Life cycle inventory analysis for decision-making: Scope-dependent inventory system models and context-specific joint product allocation. Zurich , Switzerland : Swiss Federal Institute of Technology .
- 2006. The costs and impacts of intermittency: An assessment of the evidence on the costs and impacts of intermittent generation on the British electricity network . London , UK : Imperial College London. , , , , , and .
- 1997. FENCH-Analysis of electricity generation greenhouse gas emissions from solar and wind power in Germany . Assessment of greenhouse gas emissions from the full energy chain of solar and wind power and other energy sources. Vienna , Austria : International Atomic Energy Administration.
- 2005. Life cycle GHG emission analysis of power generation systems: Japanese case. Energy 30(11–12): 2042–2056.
- Life cycle greenhouse gas emissions of crystalline silicon photovoltaic electricity generation: Systematic review and harmonization. Journal of Industrial Ecology . DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2011.00439.x. Forthcoming. , , , , , , , and . 2012.
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change). 2007. Climate change 2007: Synthesis report . Geneva , Switzerland : IPCC.
- ISO (International Organization for Standardization). 2006a. Environmental management – Life cycle assessment – Principles and framework. ISO 14040 . Geneva , Switzerland : ISO.
- ISO (International Organization for Standardization). 2006b. Environmental management – Life cycle assessment – Principles and framework. ISO 14044 . Geneva , Switzerland : ISO.
- 2009. Review of solutions to global warming, air pollution, and energy security. Energy & Environmental Science 2: 148–173.
- 2005. Life cycle assessment for emerging technologies: Case studies for photovoltaic and wind power. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 10(1): 24–34. , , , and .
- 2005. Life cycle analysis of wind-fuel cell integrated system. Renewable Energy 30(2): 157–177. , , and .
- Life cycle greenhouse gas emissions of thin-film photovoltaic electricity generation: Systematic review and harmonization. Journal of Industrial Ecology . DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2011.00423.x. , , , and . 2012.
- 1997. ExternE national implementation in Germany . Stuttgart , Germany : University of Stuttgart. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Meta-analysis of net energy return for wind power systems. Renewable Energy 35(1): 218–225. , , and .
- 1997. Life-cycle analysis of the total Danish energy system . Roskilde , Denmark : IMFUFA, Roskilde Universitetscenter. and .
- 2008. Development and life-cycle inventory analysis of wind energy in Taiwan. Journal of Energy Engineering 134(2): 53–57. and .
- 2002. Energy and CO2 life-cycle analyses of wind turbines—review and applications. Renewable Energy 26(3): 339–362. and .
- 2004. Wind turbines in Brazil and Germany: An example of geographical variability in life-cycle assessment. Applied Energy 77(2): 119–130. and .
- 2003. A life cycle assessment and economic analysis of wind turbines using Monte Carlo simulation . Wright-Patterson Air Force Base , OH , USA : Department of Systems and Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering and Management, Air Force Institute of Technology. and .
- 2009. Life-cycle assessment of a 2-MW rated power wind turbine: CML method. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 14(1): 52–63. , , , , and .
- 2000. Life-cycle value assessment of a wind turbine . Dayton Valley , Alberta , Canada : Pembina Institute. , , and .
- 1995. Life cycle direct and indirect pollution associated with PV and wind energy systems . ISES World Solar Congress. Harare , Zimbabwe : Fundacion Bariloche.
- 2003. Global warming effect applied to electricity generation technologies. Ph.D. thesis, University of California , Berkeley , CA, USA .
- 2002. Greenhouse gas emissions from building and operating electric power plants in the Upper Colorado River Basin. Environmental Science & Technology 36(14): 3194–3200. and .
- 2006. Dynamic life cycle assessment (LCA) of renewable energy technologies. Renewable Energy 31(1): 55–71.
- 2008. Consequential environmental system analysis of expected offshore wind electricity production in Germany. Energy 33(5): 747–759. , , and .
- 1996. The lifetime pollution implications of various types of electricity generation. An input-output analysis. Energy Policy 24(3): 229–237. , , , and .
- 2009. Comparison of life cycle carbon dioxide emissions and embodied energy in four renewable electricity generation technologies in New Zealand. Environmental Science & Technology 43(16): 6406–6413. , , and .
- 2004. Replacement of old wind turbines assessed from energy, environmental and economic perspectives . Kalmar , Sweden : Department of Technology, University of Kalmar. , , and .
- 2000. Life cycle assessment of a wind farm and related externalities. Renewable Energy 20(3): 279–288.
- SECDA (Saskatchewan Energy Conservation and Development Authority). 1994. Levelized cost and full fuel-cycle environmental impacts of Saskatchewan's electric supply options. Saskatoon , Saskatchewan , Canada : SECDA.
- 2004. Life cycle environmental and economic assessment of willow biomass electricity: A comparison with other renewable and non-renewable sources . Ann Arbor , MI , USA : Center for Sustainable Systems, University of Michigan . and .
- 2004. System boundary selection in life-cycle inventories using hybrid approaches. Environmental Science & Technology 38(3): 657–664. , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Life cycle analysis of 4.5 MW and 250 W wind turbines. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 13(8): 2104–2110. and .
- 1996. Life cycle analysis of photovoltaic cell and wind power plants . IAEA advisory group meeting on the assessment of greenhouse gas emissions from the full energy chain of solar and wind power. Vienna , Austria : International Atomic Energy Agency 111–122.
- 1996. Comparison of the greenhouse gas emissions from the full energy chains of solar and wind power generation . IAEA advisory group meeting on the assessment of greenhouse gas emissions from the full energy chain of solar and wind power. Vienna , Austria : International Atomic Energy Agency; 38–50.
- 2009. LCA of renewable energy for electricity generation systems—A review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 13(5): 1067–1073. , , and .
- 2003. Certified environmental product declaration of electricity from Vattenfall AB's Swedish windpower plants. Stockholm , Sweden : Vattenfall. .
- 2010. Vattenfall wind power certified environmental product declaration EPD® of electricity from Vattenfall's wind farms . Stockholm , Sweden : Vattenfall. .
- Vestas Wind Systems. 2006a. Life cycle assessment of electricity produced from onshore sited wind power plants based on Vestas V82–1.65 MW turbines. Product declaration. Randers , Denmark : Vestas Wind Systems.
- Vestas Wind Systems. 2006b. Life cycle assessment of offshore and onshore sited wind power plants based on Vestas V90–3.0 MW turbines. Product declaration. Randers , Denmark : Vestas Wind Systems.
- 2000. Energy content and indirect greenhouse gas emissions embedded in ‘emission-free’ power plants: Results for the low countries. Applied Energy 67(3): 307–330. , , .
- Life cycle greenhouse gas emissions from nuclear electricity generation: Systematic review and harmonization. Journal of Industrial Ecology . DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00472.x. Forthcoming. . and . 2012.
- 1997. Life-cycle assessment of wind energy: A case study based on Baix Ebre Windfarm, Spain. Wind energy conversion 1997: Proceedings of the Nineteenth BWEA Wind Energy Conference, 16–18 July 1997. Edinburgh , UK : Mechanical Engineering Publications Limited; 231–238. , , , , and . et al .
- WEC (World Energy Council). 2004. Comparison of energy systems using life cycle assessment . London , UK : World Energy Council.
- 2009. Life cycle assessment of a floating offshore wind turbine. Renewable Energy 34(3): 742–747. , , , and .
- Life cycle greenhouse gas emissions of coal-fired electricity generation: Systematic review and harmonization. Journal of Industrial Ecology . DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00465.x. Forthcoming. , , , and . 2012.
- 1998. Net energy payback and CO2 emissions from wind-generated electricity in the Midwest . Madison , WI , USA : Fusion Technology Institute, University of Wisconsin-Madison. and .
- 2000. Birth to death analysis of the energy payback ratio and CO2 gas emission rates from coal, fission, wind, and DT-fusion electrical power plants. Fusion Engineering and Design 48(3–4): 473–481. and .
- 2006. Net energy payback and CO2 emissions from three Midwestern wind farms: An update. Natural Resources Research 15(4): 271–281.
- 2001. Coal in a sustainable society . Brisbane , Queensland , Australia : Australian Coal Association Research Program (ACARP).
- 2010. 2009 wind technologies market report . Berkeley , CA , USA : Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. and .