Life Cycle Assessment in the Print Industry
A Critical Review
Version of Record online: 30 MAR 2012
© 2012 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Special Issue: Meta-Analysis of Life Cycle Assessments
Volume 16, Issue Supplement s1, pages S195–S205, April 2012
How to Cite
Bousquin, J., Gambeta, E., Esterman, M. and Rothenberg, S. (2012), Life Cycle Assessment in the Print Industry. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 16: S195–S205. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00471.x
- Issue online: 3 MAY 2012
- Version of Record online: 30 MAR 2012
- 2003. Life-cycle inventory of toner produced for xerographic processes. Journal of Cleaner Production 11: 573–582. , , , and .
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM). 2011. ASTM F2555-06. Standard practice for determining page yield of ink jet printer cartridges—Continuous printing method. http://www.astm.org/Standards/F2555.htm. Accessed January 2011.
- 2010. Life cycle assessments of consumer electronics—Are they consistent? International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 15(8): 827–836. and .
- 2002. Life cycle assessment of toner cartridge HP C4127X. In Environmental impact from a toner cartridge according to different recycling alternatives . Kalmar , Sweden : University of Kalmar. and .
- 2010. Life cycle carbon footprint of the National Geographic magazine. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 15(7): 635–643.
- 2007. Reducing climate change gas emissions by cutting out stages in the life cycle of office paper. Resources, Conservation and Recycling 49(4): 340–352. and .
- 2007. Life cycle assessment of printing and writing paper produced in Portugal. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 12(7): 521–528. , , and .
- 2009. Development of a green scorecard to identify research projects for eco-efficient print engines. In IEEE international symposium on sustainable systems and technology . Tempe , AZ , USA : IEEE Xplore. , , , , and .
- EIA (Energy Information Administration). 2006. Energy consumption estimates from manufacturing energy consumption survey (MECS). Washington, DC, USA: Department of Energy, Energy Information Administration.
- FAO (United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization). 2010. Impact of the global forest industry on atmospheric greenhouse gases . Rome , Italy : FAO.
- 1998. Life-cycle assessment as a decision-support tool—The case of recycling versus incineration of paper. Resources, Conservation and Recycling 24(3–4): 235–256. , and .
- Four Elements Consulting. 2008. LaserJet cartridge life cycle environmental impact comparison refresh study: HP LaserJet 10A print cartridge vs. remanufactured brands in North America . Seattle , WA , USA : Four Elements Consulting.
- 2010. Exploring existing measures of environmental impact of print: A survey of existing practices. Research monograph of the Printing Industry Center, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY, USA. , , and .
- Hewlett-Packard. 2009. HP carbon footprint calculator key assumptions. Palo Alto, CA, USA: Hewlett-Packard Development Company.
- 2003. Multifunctional electronic media-traditional media. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 8(4): 201–208. and .
- IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers). 2010. IEEE 1680.2 standard for environmental assessment of electronic product. Modified Final PAR. New York , NY , USA .
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change). 2006. Guidelines for national greenhouse gas inventories . Hayama , Kanagawa , Japan : IPCC.
- ISO (International Organization for Standardization). 2006a. Environmental management – Life cycle assessment – Principles and framework . Geneva , Switzerland : ISO.
- ISO (International Organization for Standardization). 2006b. Environmental management – Life cycle assessment – Requirements and guidelines . Geneva , Switzerland : ISO.
- ISO/IEC (International Organization for Standardization/International Electrotechnical Commission). 2004. 19752: Information technology—Method for the determination of toner cartridge yield for monochromatic electrophotographic printers and multi-function devices that may constrain printer components. Geneva , Switzerland : ISO.
- 2001. Eco-efficiency gains from remanufacturing a case study of photocopier remanufacturing at Fuji Xerox Australia. Journal of Cleaner Production 9: 75–81. and .
- 2010. Life cycle assessment of a solid ink multifunction printer compared with a color laser multifunction printer. Total lifetime energy investment and global warming impact. Webster, NY, USA: Xerox. , , and .
- 2005. Extended producer responsibility for waste electronics: An example of printer recycling in the United Kingdom. Journal of Industrial Ecology 9(3): 169–189. , , and .
- OECD/IEA (Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, International Energy Agency). 2007. Tracking industrial energy efficiency and CO2 emissions. In support of the G8 plan of action. ISBN 978-92-64-03016-9. Paris , France : Stedi Media.
- 2009. Product environmental metrics for printers . GreenMetrics : ACM. , , , and .
- PRé Consultants. 2006. SimaPro 7.0 LCA software. Amersfoort, Netherlands .
- 2008a. A survey of unresolved problems in life cycle assessment. Part 1: Goal and scope and inventory analysis. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 13(4): 290–300. , , , and .
- 2008b. A survey of unresolved problems in life cycle assessment. Part 2: Impact assessment and interpretation. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 13(5):374–388. , , , and .
- 2008. Life cycle assessment of polysaccharide materials: A review. Journal of Polymers and the Environment 16(2): 154–167. and .
- 2006. A new comprehensive methodology for the evaluation of product sustainability at the design and development stage of consumer electronic products. Paper presented at the International Conference on Life Cycle Engineering, May 31-June 2, Leuven, Belgium. , , , and .
- 2007. EuP preparatory studies “Imaging Equipment” (Lot 4). In Task 1 through 8 Final Reports, Berlin , Germany : Fraunhofer Institute.
- U.S. EPA (Environmental Protection Agency). 1993. Life cycle assessment: Inventory guidelines and principles. EPA/600/R-92/245. Cincinnati , OH , USA : Office of Research and Development.
- U.S. EPA (Environmental Protection Agency). 2005. Revision of the Energy Star specifications for imaging equipment. Update and clarifications to the draft typical electricity consumption and operational mode test procedures. http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/prod_development/revisions/downloads/img_equip/ImagingTPClarifications.pdf. Accessed January 2011.
- U.S. EPA (Environmental Protection Agency). 2007. Energy Star qualified imaging equipment typical electricity consumption. TEC test procedure.
- 2007. Paper waste—Recycling, incineration or landfilling? A review of existing life cycle assessments. Waste Management 27(8): S29–S46. and .
- WEEE-Directive (Waste electrical and electronic equipment). 2003. Directive 2002/96/EC of the European Parliament and of the council of 27 January 2003 on Waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE). Brussels, Belgium: European Commission.
- 1998. Application dependency of LCA methodology: Key variables and their mode of influencing the method. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 3(5): 281–288.
- 2002. The 1.7 kilogram microchip: Energy and material use in the production of semiconductor devices. Environmental Science and Technology 36(24): 5504–5510. , , and .
- Xerox. 2008. Xerox sustainability calculator fact sheet. Webster , NY , USA .