Systematic Review Checklist
A Standardized Technique for Assessing and Reporting Reviews of Life Cycle Assessment Data
Article first published online: 4 APR 2012
© 2012 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Special Issue: Meta-Analysis of Life Cycle Assessments
Volume 16, Issue Supplement s1, pages S12–S21, April 2012
How to Cite
Zumsteg, J. M., Cooper, J. S. and Noon, M. S. (2012), Systematic Review Checklist. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 16: S12–S21. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00476.x
- Issue published online: 3 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 4 APR 2012
- 2008. Public participation in life cycle assessment and risk assessment: A shared need. Risk Analysis 22(5): 861–877. and .
- 2011. Technical summary. In IPCC special report on renewable energy sources and climate change mitigation , edited by O. Edenhofen, R. Pichs-Madruga, Y. Sokona, K. Seyboth, P. Matschoss, S. Kadner, T. Zwickel, P. Eickemeier, G. Hansen, S. Schlömer, and C. von Stechow. Cambridge , UK : Cambridge University Press. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. A hands-on approach for teaching systematic review. Computer Science 5089: 415–426. , , , and .
- 2010. Seventy-five trials and eleven systematic reviews a day: How will we ever keep up? PLoS Medicine 7(9): e1000326. , , and .
- 2008. LCA of renewable energy for electricity generation systems—A review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 13(5): 1067–1073. and .
- 2003. Developing the research question. In Etext on health technology assessment (HTA) information resources , edited by L. Topfer and I. Auston. Bethesda , MD , USA : National Information Center on Health Services and Health Care Technology. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/nichsr/ehta. Accessed November 2011. and .
- 2011. An international registry of systematic-review protocols. Lancet 377(9760): 108–109. , , , , , and .
- Carnegie Mellon University, Green Design Institute. 2008. Economic input-output life cycle assessment (EIOLCA), US 1997 industry benchmark model . Pittsburgh , PA , USA : Green Design Institute. http://www.iolca.net. Accessed November 2011.
- Centre for Reviews and Dissemination. 2009. Systematic reviews: CRD's guidance for undertaking reviews in health care . York , UK : Centre for Reviews and Dissemination.
- 2009. Energy- and greenhouse gas-based LCA of biofuel and bioenergy systems: Key issues, ranges and recommendations. Resources, Conservation and Recycling 53(8): 434–447. , , , , and .
- 2009. Estimate of the carbon footprint of the US health care sector. JAMA 302(18): 1970–1972. and .
- 1997. Formulating questions and locating primary studies for inclusion in systematic reviews. Annals of Internal Medicine 127: 380–387.
- 2010. Comparing environmental impacts for livestock products: A review of life cycle assessments. Livestock Science 128(1–3): 1–11. and .
- 1990. Identification of meta-analyses. The need for standard terminology. Controlled Clinical Trials 11(1): 52–66. , , and .
- 2011. Consequential life cycle assessment: A review. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 16: 445–453. and .
- Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007. Public Law 110-140. Washington , DC , USA : U.S. Government Printing Office.
- 2006. Ethanol can contribute to energy and environmental goals. Science 311(5760): 506–508. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Recent developments in life cycle assessment. Journal of Environmental Management 91(1): 1–21. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. On the impossibility of being expert. BMJ 341: c6815. and .
- 2002. Review of methodology of quantitative reviews using meta-analysis in ecology. Journal of Animal Ecology 71: 547–557.
- 2011. Antecedents to IT personnel's intentions to leave: A systematic literature review. Journal of Systems and Software 84(2): 238–249. and .
- 1986. Issues in meta-analysis. In Review of research in education . Washington , DC , USA : American Educational Research Association.
- Higgins, J. and S. Green, eds. 2011. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions , version 22.214.171.1241. Cochrane Collaboration. http://www.cochrane-handbook.org. Accessed November 2011.
- 2004. Teaching and evaluating first and second year medical students’ practice of evidence-based medicine. Medical Education 38(8): 868–878. , , , and .
- 2005. The future of life cycle assessment. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 10(5): 305–308. and .
- 2008. Interpretation of tests of heterogeneity and bias in meta-analysis. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice 14(5): 951–957.
- ISO (International Organization for Standardization). 2006a. ISO 14040. Environmental management – Life cycle assessment – Principles and framework . Geneva , Switzerland : ISO.
- ISO (International Organization for Standardization). 2006b. ISO 14044. Environmental management – Life cycle assessment – Requirements and guidelines . Geneva , Switzerland : ISO.
- 2007. Publication bias against negative results from clinical trials: Three of the seven deadly sins. Nature Clinical Practice Neurology 3(11): 590–591. and .
- 2011. Lessons learned from invasive plant control experiments: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Applied Ecology 48(4): 970–979. and .
- 2011. The transient and progressive flooding stages of damaged ro-ro vessels: A systematic review of entailed factors. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering 133(3); 031105. , , and .
- 2010. Meta-analysis of net energy return for wind power systems. Renewable Energy 35(1): 218–225. , , and .
- 2006. A review of life-cycle analysis studies on liquid biofuel systems for the transport sector. Energy for Sustainable Development 10(2): 109–126.
- 2007. Abstract: The heart of your paper. In Scientific writing: A reader and writer's guide . Singapore : World Scientific Publishing.
- 2010. Life cycle assessment of soil and groundwater remediation technologies: Literature review. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 15: 115–127. , , and .
- 2002. Energy and CO2 life-cycle analyses of wind turbines—Review and applications. Renewable Energy 26(3): 339–362. and .
- 2009. The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate healthcare interventions: Explanation and elaboration. BMJ 339: b2700. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Quantifying the total environmental impacts of an industrial symbiosis—A comparison of process-, hybrid and input-output life cycle assessment. Environmental Science & Technology 44(11): 4309–4314. , , and .
- Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 11th ed. Online version. http://www.merriam-webster.com. Accessed January 2012.
- 2000. Applying meta-analytical procedures to software engineering experiments. Journal of Systems and Software 54(1): 29–39.
- 2009. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: The PRISMA statement. BMJ 339: b2535. , , , and .
- 2009. A meta-analysis of the differences in environmental impacts between organic and conventional farming. British Food Journal 111(10): 1098–1119. , , and .
- 2005. Optimal search strategies for retrieving systematic reviews from Medline: Analytical survey. BMJ 330(7482): 68–73. , , , and .
- 2011. Annex II: Methodology. In IPCC special report on renewable energy sources and climate change mitigation , edited by O. Edenhofer, R. Pichs-Madruga, Y. Sokona, K. Seyboth, P. Matschoss, S. Kadner, T. Zwickel, P. Eickemeier, G. Hansen, S. Schlömer, and C. von Stechow. Cambridge , UK : Cambridge University Press. , , , , , and ,
- 2009. A practical guide to understanding systematic reviews and meta-analyses. Otolarygology—Head and Neck Surgery 142(1): 6–14. , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Sustainability in the construction industry: A review of recent developments based on LCA. Construction and Building Materials 23(1): 28–39. , , and .
- 2005. Realist review—A new method of systematic review designed for complex policy interventions. Journal of Health Services Research & Policy 10(Suppl 1): 21–34. , , , and .
- 2008. Software process improvement in small and medium software enterprises: A systematic review. Software Quality Journal 16: 237–261. , , and .
- 2006. Guidelines for systematic review in conservation and environmental management. Conservation Biology 20(6): 1647–1656. and .
- 2008. A survey of unresolved problems in life cycle assessment. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 13: 374–388. , , , and .
- 2008. Life cycle assessment in the bioenergy sector: Developing a systematic review . London , UK : UK Energy Research Centre. http://www.nora.nerc.ac.uk/5099/. Accessed November 2011. , , , , and .
- 1996. Evidence based medicine: What it is and what it isn’t. BMJ 312: 71–72. , , , , and .
- 2011. Empirical studies of pair programming for CS/SE teaching in higher education: A systematic literature review. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering 37(4): 509–525. , , and .
- 2011. Life-cycle assessment of pavements. Part I: Critical review. Resources, Conservation and Recycling 55(9–10): 801–809. , , and .
- 2007. Energy use in the life cycle of conventional and low-energy buildings: A review article. Energy and Buildings 39(3): 249–257. and .
- SLS Consulting, Inc. 2008. The environmental impact of the mail: Initial life cycle inventory model and analysis. Available at http://www.postcom.org/eco/USPS_report.pdf. Accessed March 2011.
- 2008. Valuing the greenhouse gas emissions from nuclear power: A critical survey. Energy Policy 36(8): 2950–2963.
- 2007. Experiences using systematic review guidelines. Journal of Systems and Software 80(9): 1425–1437. and .
- 2011. Environmental impacts and costs of woody biomass-to-liquid (BTL) production and use—A review. Forest Policy and Economics 13(8): 591–602. , , and .
- 1998. The (political) science of salt. Science 281(5379): 898–907.
- 2003. The stages of a systematic review. In Systematic reviews . London , UK : Continuum International Publishing Group.
- 2003. Towards a methodology for developing evidence-informed management knowledge by means of systematic review. British Journal of Management 14: 207–222. , , and .
- 2003. Updated method guidelines for systematic reviews in the Cochrane collaboration back review group. Spine 28(12): 1290–1299. ., , , and .
- 2007. Paper waste—Recycling, incineration or landfilling? A review of existing life cycle assessments. Waste Management 27(8): S29–S46. and .
- 2007. A review of assessments conducted on bio-ethanol as a transportation fuel from a net energy, greenhouse gas, and environmental life cycle perspective. Journal of Cleaner Production 15(7): 607–619. and .
- 2010. LCA studies comparing beverage cartons and alternative packaging: Can overall conclusions be drawn? International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 15(9): 938–945. , , and .
- 2007. Wooden building products in comparative LCA: A literature review. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 12(7): 470–479. and .
- 2010. Sources of variability in greenhouse gas and energy balances for biofuel production: A systematic review. GCB Bioenergy 2(3): 99–112. , , , , and .
- 2010. Accounting for ecosystem services in life cycle assessment, Part I: A critical review. Environmental Science & Technology 44(7): 2232–2242. , , and .