RESEARCH AND ANALYSIS
The Carbon Footprint of Norwegian Seafood Products on the Global Seafood Market
Article first published online: 23 JUL 2012
© 2012 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Volume 17, Issue 1, pages 103–116, February 2013
How to Cite
Ziegler, F., Winther, U., Hognes, E. S., Emanuelsson, A., Sund, V. and Ellingsen, H. (2013), The Carbon Footprint of Norwegian Seafood Products on the Global Seafood Market. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 17: 103–116. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00485.x
- Issue published online: 21 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 23 JUL 2012
- Fisheries and Aquaculture Industry Research Fund
- 2007. Co-product allocation in life cycle assessments of seafood production systems: Review of problems and strategies. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 12(7): 480–487. , , , , and .
- 2011. Including carbon emissions from deforestation in the carbon footprint of Brazilian beef. Environmental Science and Technology 45(5):1773–1779. , , , , and .
- 2010. Fuel use and greenhouse gas emissions implications of fisheries management: The case of the new England Atlantic herring fishery. Marine Policy 34(3): 353–359. and .
- Ecoinvent v. 2.0. 2009. LCA background database. Access can be purchased at www.ecoinvent.ch.
- 2009. Environmental analysis of the Norwegian fishery and aquaculture industry – A preliminary study focusing on farmed salmon. Marine Policy 33(3): 479–488. , , and .
- FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations). 2009. The State of World Fisheries and Aquaculture (SOFIA) 2008. Rome, Italy: FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Department.
- FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations). 2011. The State of World Fisheries and Aquaculture (SOFIA) 2010. Rome, Italy: FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Department.
- 2008. LCA-databas för konventionella Fodermedel [LCA database for conventional feeds]. Version 1 SIK report no. 772. , , and .
- 2010. Fish and fuel: Life cycle greenhouse gas emissions associated with Icelandic cod, Alaskan pollock and Alaskan pink salmon fillets delivered to the United Kingdom. M.Sc. thesis, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- 2006. Life cycle assessment of Finnish cultivated rainbow trout. Boreal Environmental Research 11: 410–414. , , , and .
- 2009. Life cycle assessment on two Icelandic cod products based on two different fishing methods. Masters thesis, Matís/Háskóli Íslands, Reykjavik, Iceland.
- 2011. Blue frontiers. Managing the environmental costs of aquaculture. Penang, Malaysia: WorldFish Center. , , , , and .
- 1999. The effects of fishing on marine ecosystems and communities. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Science.
- 2001. Fiskerinaeringens muligheter til å bidra til oppfyllelse av Kyoto-avtalen [The fishing sectors potential to contribute to fulfillment of the Kyoto agreement] [in Norwegian]. SINTEF Fisheries and Aquaculture Report No. 830011.00. Trondheim, Norway: SINTEF FIsheries and Aquaculture. , , and .
- 2005. Closing the commons. Norwegian fisheries from open access to private property. Delft, The Netherlands: Ebouron Academic Publishers.
- 2012. Evaluating fisheries management from a life cycle perspective with new approaches to by-catch impacts. Licentiate thesis. Göteborg University, Dept. of Biological and Environmental Sciences and SIK, The Swedish Institute for Food and Biotechnology, Göteborg Sweden.
- 2012. Integrated environmental assessment of fisheries management: Swedish Nephrops trawl fisheries evaluated using a life cycle approach. Marine Policy 36(6): 1193–1201. , , , and .
- 2005. Life cycle environmental impacts of Spanish tuna fisheries. Fisheries Research 76(2): 174–186. and .
- 2010a. Carbon footprint of canned mussels from a business-to-consumer approach. A starting point for mussel processors and policy makers. Environmental Science & Policy 13(6): 509–521. , , , and .
- 2010b. Estimation of the carbon footprint of the Galician fishing activity (NW Spain). Science of the Total Environment 408(22): 5284–5294. , , , , and .
- 2011. Updating the carbon footprint of the Galician fishing activity (NW Spain). Science of the Total Environment 409(8): 1609–1611. , , , , and .
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change). 2007. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, 2007, edited by S. Solomon, D. Qin, M. Manning, Z. Chen, M. Marquis, K.B. Averyt, M. Tignor and H.L. Miller. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- ISO (International Organization for Standardization). 1999. ISO 14024:1999. Environmental labels and declarations - Type I environmental labelling - Principles and procedures. Geneva, Switzerland: ISO.
- ISO (International Organization for Standardization). 2006a. ISO 14040:2006(E). Environmental management – Life cycle assessment – Principles and framework. Geneva, Switzerland: ISO.
- ISO (International Organization for Standardization). 2006b. ISO 14044:2006(E). Environmental management – Life cycle assessment – Requirements and guidelines. Geneva, Switzerland: ISO.
- ISO (International Organization for Standardization). 2006c. ISO 14025:2006. Environmental labels and declarations Type III environmental declarations–Principles and procedures. Geneva, Switzerland: ISO.
- 2009. Conserving wild fish in a sea of market-based efforts. Oryx 44(1): 45–56. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Feed—The key to sustainable fish farming. In Fisheries, sustainability and development, edited by P. Wramner, H. Ackefors, and M. Cullberg, 303–322. Halmstad Tryckeri, Sweden: Royal Swedish Academy of Agriculture and Forestry (KSLA).
- 2010. A framework for environmental analyses of fish food production systems based on systems engineering principles. Systems Engineering 13(2): 109–118. , , and .
- NMR (Nordic Council of Ministers). 2000. Alternatives to HCFC as refrigerant in shipping vessels. TemaNord 2000: 573. Copenhagen, Denmark: Nordic Council of Ministers.
- NSEC (Norwegian Seafood Export Council). 2008. Årsstatistikk 2008 (Annual statistics 2008) [in Norwegian]. www.seafood.no.
- 2011. Towards a harmonised framework methodology for the environmental assessment of food and drink products. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 16(3): 189–197. , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Feeding farmed salmon: Is organic better? Aquaculture 272(1–4): 399–416. and .
- 2010. Life cycle assessment of frozen tilapia fillets from Indonesian lake-based and pond-based intensive aquaculture systems. Journal of Industrial Ecology 14(3): 467–481. and .
- 2011. An ecological economic critique of the use of market information in life cycle assessment research. Journal of Industrial Ecology 15(3): 342–354. and .
- 2009. Not all salmon are created equal: Life cycle assessment (LCA) of global salmon farming systems. Environmental Science and Technology 43(23): 8730–8736. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Not honouring the code. Nature 457: 658–659. , , , and .
- 2011. Environmental assessment of the Atlantic mackerel (Scomber scombrus) season in the Basque Country. Increasing the timeline delimitation in fishery LCA studies. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 16: 599–610. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Skippers, spotters and seiners: Analysis of the “skipper effect” in US menhaden (Brevoortia spp.) purse-seine fisheries. Fisheries Research 83(1): 73–80. and .
- 2011. Nordiske indsatser for R-22 i köleanlg på skibe [Nordic efforts for R-22 in refrigeration systems on ships]. TemaNord report 2011: 503 37. Copenhagen: Nordic Council of Ministers. www.norden.org/sv/publikationer/publikationer/2011-503. Accessed July 2012.
- 2009. Energy consumption in Norwegian fisheries. Journal of Cleaner Production 17(3): 325–334. , , , and .
- 2005. Nuts and bolts in fisheries management–a technological approach to sustainable fisheries? Marine Policy 29(3): 255–263.
- 2009. Environmental assessment of northeast Arctic cod caught by long-lines and Alaskan Pollock caught by pelagic trawls. Bachelor of Science thesis, Göteborg University, Göteborg, Sweden, and SIK, The Swedish Institute for Food and Biotechnology, Göteborg, Sweden. SIK report 799.
- 2011a. Effect of different allocation methods on LCA results of products from wild-caught fish and on the use of such results. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 16(6): 512–521. , , and .
- 2011b. Environmental assessment of cod (Gadus morhua) from autoline fisheries. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 16(7): 611–624. , , and .
- 2004. Energy consumption in the Danish fishery. Identification of key factors. Journal of Industrial Ecology 8(1–2): 223–239.
- 2006. LCA of Danish fish products. New methods and insights. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 11(1): 66–74.
- 2009. Eco-labelling of wild-caught seafood products. Journal of Cleaner Production 17:416–423. , , and .
- 2001. Energy consumed by north Atlantic fisheries. In Fisheries impacts on North Atlantic ecosystems: Catch, effort and national/regional data sets, edited by D. Zeller, R. Watson, and D. Pauley. Fisheries Centre Research Reports, vol. 9, no. 3, 12–34. Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada: Fisheries Center, University of British Columbia.
- 2004. Fisheries and energy use. In Encyclopedia of energy, vol. 2, edited by C. Cleveland, 683–693. Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- 2012. Fuel use and greenhouse gas emissions from global tuna fisheries: A preliminary assessment. ISSF Technical Report 2012-03. International Seafood Sustainability Foundation. McLean, VI, USA. and .
- 2007. Biophysical sustainability and approaches to marine aquaculture development policy in the United States. Tacoma Park, MD, USA: Marine Aquaculture Task Force. , , and .
- 2005. Fueling global fishing fleets. Ambio 34(8): 619–622. , , and .
- 2010. Life cycle assessment of horse mackerel fisheries in Galicia (NW Spain): Comparative analysis of two major fishing methods. Fisheries Research 106(3): 517–527. , , and .
- 2012. Environmental assessment of frozen common octopus (Octopus vulgaris) captured by Spanish fishing vessels in the Mauritanian EEZ. Marine Policy 36(1): 180–188. , , and .
- 2009. Carbon footprint and energy use of Norwegian seafood products. SINTEF Fisheries and Aquaculture report: SFH80 A096068. Trondheim, Norway: SINTEF Fisheries and Aquaculture. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Life cycle assessment of frozen cod fillets including fishery-specific environmental impacts. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 8(1): 39–47. , , , and .
- 2008. Environmental life cycle assessment of Norway lobster (Nephrops norvegicus) caught along the Swedish west coast by creels and conventional trawls. LCA methodology with case study. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 13(6): 487–497. and .
- 2006. Environmental life cycle assessment of seafood products from capture fisheries. Ph.D. thesis, Göteborg University, Department of Marine Ecology and SIK, The Swedish Institute for Food and Biotechnology, Göteborg, Sweden. SIK report 754 (ISBN 91-89677-27-7).
- 2010. Challenges in assessing the environmental impacts of aquaculture and fisheries. In Environmental assessment and management in the food industry: Life cycle assessment and related approaches, edited by U. Sonesson, J. Berlin and F. Ziegler, chap. 8. Cambridge, UK: Woodhead Publishing.
- 2010. There is more to greenhouse gas emissions of fisheries than carbon dioxide from fuel combustion. Proceedings from Energy Use in Fisheries, Seattle, WA, USA, 14–17 November 2010. , , , , , and .