METHODS, TOOLS, AND SOFTWARE
Estimating Environmental Behavior Without Performing a Life Cycle Assessment
Article first published online: 8 OCT 2012
© 2012 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Volume 17, Issue 1, pages 31–42, February 2013
How to Cite
Collado-Ruiz, D. and Ostad-Ahmad-Ghorabi, H. (2013), Estimating Environmental Behavior Without Performing a Life Cycle Assessment. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 17: 31–42. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00510.x
- Issue published online: 21 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 8 OCT 2012
- 2007. Improving an existing product family based on commonality/diversity, modularity, and cost. Design Studies 28(4): 387–409. , , and .
- 2008. Life cycle assessment of commercial furniture: A case study of Formway LIFE chair. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 13(5): 401–411. , , , and .
- 1997. Ecodesign: A promising approach to sustainable production and consumption. Nairobi, Kenya: United Nations Environment Programme. and .
- 2010. Diversity of eco-innovations: Reflections from selected case studies. Journal of Cleaner Production 18(10–11): 1073–1083. , , and .
- 2010a. Comparing LCA results of competing products. Developing reference ranges from a product family approach. Journal of Cleaner Production 18(4): 355–364. and .
- 2010b. Fuon theory: Standardizing functional units for product design. Resources, Conservation & Recycling 54(10): 683–691. and .
- 2010c. Influence of environmental information on creativity. Design Studies 31(5): 479–498. and .
- 1995. A lexicon of green engineering terms. Presented at the International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED 95), Praha, Czech Republic, 22–24 August 1995. , , and ,
- 2001. Modular product architecture. Design Studies 22(5): 409–424. , , and ,
- 2005. Confidence intervals for the mean, pp. 341–360. In: A modern introduction to probability and statistics. Understanding why and how. London: Springer. , , , and ,
- 2009. Life cycle assessment study of a Chinese desktop personal computer. Science of the Total Environment 407(5): 1755–1764. , , , , and .
- 2001. Implementation of DfE in the daily design work-an approach derived from surveys. In: Proceedings of 2001 ASME Design Engineering Technical Conference (DETC 2001). New York: ASME. , , and .
- 2002. From environmental assessment to design for environment product changes: An evaluation of quantitative and qualitative methods. Journal of Engineering Design 13(3): 233–242. and .
- 2007. Overview and methodology. Data v2.0. Ecoinvent report no. 1. Swiss Centre for Life Cycle Inventories, Dübendorf, Switzerland. and (eds.).
- 2004. SimaPro database manual. Methods library. Amersfoort, the Netherlands: PRé Consultants. , , and ,
- 2009. Life cycle assessment: Principles, practices and prospects. Collingwood, Victoria, Australia: CSIRO Publishing. , , and ,
- 2006. ISO 14044. Environmental management – Life cycle assessment – Requirements and guidelines. Geneva, Switzerland: ISO.
- 2005. Ecodesign and future environmental impacts. Materials and Design 26(7): 629–634. and ,
- 1999. A methodology of developing product family architecture for mass customization. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing 10(1): 3–20. and .
- 2000. LCA software survey. IVL report B 1390, Industriforskningsinstituten i Sverige-IVF, Swedish Environmental Research Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. , , , , and .
- 2006. Ökologische Bewertung von Elektronik-Komponenten und bestückten Leiterplatten [Ecological assessment of electronic components and printed circuit boards]. Master's thesis, Departement Umweltwissenschaften, ETH Zürich [Department of Environmental Systems Sciences, Zürich, Switzerland].
- 2009. Environmental evaluation of new technology: Printed electronics case study. Journal of Cleaner Production 17(9): 791–799. , , , and .
- 2010. Inspiring design idea generation: Insights from a memory-search perspective. Journal of Engineering Design 21(5): 545–560. and .
- 2005. Engineering designers’ requirements on design for environment methods and tools. Ph.D. thesis, Kungliga Tekniska Högskolan (KTH), Stockholm, Sweden.
- 2010. Life cycle assessment of DRAM in Taiwan's semiconductor industry. Journal of Cleaner Production 18(5): 419–425. , , and .
- 2006. Ecodesign and the ten golden rules: Generic advice for merging environmental aspects into product development. Journal of Cleaner Production 14(15–16): 1396–1408. and .
- 2003. Demands for sustainable development. In: Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED 03), pp. 19–21. Linköping University, Sweden.
- 2007. Does the potential of the use of LCA match the design team needs? Journal of Cleaner Production 15(4): 335–346. , , , , and ,
- 2003. Managing the environmental performance of production facilities in the electronics industry: More than application of the concept of cleaner production. Journal of Cleaner Production 11(1): 11–26.
- 2008. Identifying common features among household consumption patterns optimized to minimize specific environmental burdens. Journal of Cleaner Production 16(4): 538–548. , , , and .
- 2002. Integration of environmental aspects in product development: A stepwise procedure based on quantitative life cycle assessment. Journal of Cleaner Production 10(3): 247–257. and .
- 2008. Parametric ecodesign—An integrative approach for implementing ecodesign into decisive early design stages. In: Proceedings of the DESIGN 2008, 10th International Design Conference, Dubrovnik, Croatia, pp. 1327–1334. Zagreb, Croatia: Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture, University of Zagreb. , , and .
- 2006. Ecodesign decision boxes—A systematic tool for integrating environmental considerations into product development. In: Proceedings of the 9th International Design Conference – DESIGN 2006, Dubrovnik, Croatia, pp. 1399–1404. Zagreb, Croatia: Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture, University of Zagreb. , , and .
- 1996. Design and other types of fixation. Design Studies 17(4): 363–383. and .
- 2008. Approximate life-cycle assessment of product concepts using learning systems. Journal of Industrial Ecology 4(4): 61–81. , , and .
- 2006. Product classification to support approximate life-cycle assessment of design concepts. Technological Forecasting & Social Change 73(3): 228–249. and .
- 2005. Disassembly analysis, material composition analysis and environmental impact assessment of computer disk drives. Master's thesis, Graduate Faculty of Texas Tech University, Industrial Engineering, Lubbock, TX, USA.
- 2007. Guidelines to minimize variation when estimating product line commonality through product family dissection. Design Studies 28(2): 175–194. and .
- 2007. Re-considering product design: A practical “road-map” for integration of sustainability issues. Journal of Cleaner Production 15(7): 638–649.
- 1997. Environmental assessment of products, Vol. 1: Methodology, tools and case studies in product development. London, UK: Chapman & Hall. , , and .