METHODS, TOOLS, AND SOFTWARE
Implementing Trans-Boundary Infrastructure-Based Greenhouse Gas Accounting for Delhi, India
Data Availability and Methods
Article first published online: 21 NOV 2012
© 2012 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Special Issue: Sustainable Urban Systems
Volume 16, Issue 6, pages 814–828, December 2012
How to Cite
Chavez, A., Ramaswami, A., Nath, D., Guru, R. and Kumar, E. (2012), Implementing Trans-Boundary Infrastructure-Based Greenhouse Gas Accounting for Delhi, India. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 16: 814–828. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00546.x
- Issue published online: 12 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 21 NOV 2012
- U.S. National Science Foundation's Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship. Grant Number: DGE-0654378
- ARAI. 2007. Emission factor development for Indian vehicles. Air Quality Monitoring Project–Indian Cities Air Programme. Pune, India: Automotive Research Association of India.
- 2011. Projections of highway vehicle population, energy demand, and CO2 emissions in India to 2040. Natural Resources Forum 35(1): 49–62. , , and .
- BEA (Bureau of Economic Analysis). 2009. GDP by industry accounts. www.bea.gov/industry. Accessed October 2010.
- 2011. Nitrous oxide emission from denitrification in stream and river networks. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 108(1): 214–219. , , , , , , et al.
- cCCR (carbonn Cities Climate Registry). 2010. carbonn Cities Climate Registry. www.citiesclimateregistry.org/. Accessed February 2011.
- CEA (Central Electricity Authority). 2009. CO2 baseline database for the Indian Power Sector. User guide, version 5.0. Delhi, India: Government of India, Ministry of Power.
- 2011. Progress toward low-carbon: Approaches for trans-boundary greenhouse gas emissions footprinting for cities. Carbon Management 2(4): 471–482. and
- CMA (Cement Manufacturers Association). 2010. Highlights of the Indian cement industry. www.oldsite.cmaindia.org/industry.html. Accessed February 2011.
- CRRI (Central Road Research Institute). 2009. Impact of vehicular emission norms on vehicular pollution loads in Delhi. Presentation by Kota Sitaramanjaneyulu, Delhi, India.
- CSO (Central Statistical Organisation). 2009. Per capita income of state, union territories and all India. www.mospi.nic.in/Mospi_New/site/home.aspx. Accessed March 2011.
- DAH (Directorate of Animal Husbandry). 2010. Cattle in Delhi according to livestock census. www.dahd.nic.in/dahd/default.aspx. Accessed March 2011.
- DCO (Directorate of Census Operations). 2009. Area and population. www.censusindia.net/. Accessed March 2011.
- DDE (Delhi Department of Environment). 2009. Cabinet decision no. 1552: Energy conservation and building code (ECBC). www.environment.delhigovt.nic.in/eerem/Doc/ECBC_CABINETDECISION.pdf. Accessed January 2012.
- DERC (Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission). 2009. Energy and electricity. www.derc.gov.in/. Accessed March 2011.
- DES (Directorate of Economics and Statistics). 2009. Directorate of Economics and Statistics. www.delhi.gov.in/wps/wcm/connect/DOIT_DES/des/home/. Accessed March 2011.
- DIAL (Delhi International Airport Private Limited). 2010. IGI airport fuel and passenger data. IGI Airport, Economic Planning and Research Department, February 2011.
- DJB (Delhi Jal Board). 2011. Electricity use in water and wastewater – Delhi. DJB, February 2011.
- DPCC (Delhi Pollution Control Committee). 2010. Municipal solid waste management in Delhi. www.delhi.gov.in/wps/wcm/connect/DOIT_Pollution/pollution/home. Accessed February 2011.
- DRCOG (Denver Regional Council of Governments). 2007. Workforce commuting patterns. www.drcog.org. Accessed January 2012.
- EIA (Energy Information Administration). 2010. International energy statistics. www.eia.gov/. Accessed January 2011.
- EPA (US Environmental Protection Agency). 2011. Inventory of US GHG emissions and sinks: 1990–2009. Washington, DC: US EPA.
- 2009. Inventorization of green house gases—Sources and sinks in Delhi. Delhi, India: University of Delhi, Centre for Environmental Management of Degraded Ecosystem.
- 2011. A critical and comparative evaluation of approaches and policies to measure, benchmark, reduce and manage CO2 emissions from energy use in the existing building stock of developed and rapidly-developing countries—Case studies of the UK, USA, and India. http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTURBANDEVELOPMENT/Resources/336387-1256566800920/6505269-1268260567624/Gupta.pdf. Accessed March 2011. and .
- 2004. Emissions reduction of greenhouse gases from the cement industry. Paper presented at the Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies Conference, 23 August, Switzerland. , , , , and .
- 2010. Greenhouse gas emission footprints and energy use benchmarks for eight U.S. cities. Environmental Science & Technology 44(6): 1902–1910. and .
- ICLEI. 2009. Cities for climate protection participants. www. iclei.org/index.php?id=11454. Accessed March 2011.
- ICLEI. 2012. U.S. Community Protocol for Accounting and Reporting of Greenhouse Gas Emissions. http://www.icleiusa.org/tools/ghg-protocol/community-protocol/us-community-protocol-for-accounting-and-reporting-of-greenhouse-gas-emissions. Accessed October 2012.
- IEA (International Energy Agency). 2008. Statistics for India. Paris, France: IEA. www.iea.org/country/n_country.asp? COUNTRY_CODE=IN. Accessed January 2011.
- IEA (International Energy Agency). 2010. CO2 emissions from fuel combustion. Paris, France: IEA.
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change). 2006a. IPCC guidelines for national greenhouse gas inventories. Volume 3: Industrial processes and product use. Geneva, Switzerland: IPCC.
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change). 2006b. IPCC guidelines for national greenhouse gas inventories. Volume 2: Energy. Geneva, Switzerland: IPCC.
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change). 2006c. IPCC guidelines for national greenhouse gas inventories. Volume 5: Waste. Geneva, Switzerland: IPCC.
- IRFCA (Indian Railways Fan Club). 2006. Energy consumption by Indian railways. www.irfca.org/docs/stats/stats-energy-ir.html. Accessed March 2011.
- 2011. Quantifying carbon footprint reduction opportunities for U.S. households and communities. Environmental Science & Technology 45(9): 4088–4095. and .
- 2009. Methodology for inventorying greenhouse gas emissions from global cities. Energy Policy 38(9): 4828–4837. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Total commercial floor space estimates for India. Washington, DC, USA: International Resources Group. , , , , and .
- 2004. Qualitative assessment of methane emission inventory from municipal solid waste disposal sites: a case study. Atmospheric Environment 38(29): 4921–4929. , , , , and .
- 2010. How city dwellers affect their resource hinterland. Journal of Industrial Ecology 14(1): 73–90. and .
- 1997. Fuel and energy production emission factors. MEET project: Methodologies for estimating air pollutant emissions from transport. European Commission under the RTD programme of the 4th framework programme.
- MEF (Ministry of Environment and Forests). 2010. India: Greenhouse gas emissions 2007. Delhi, India: Government of India.
- 2001. History, politics and technology of CNG-diesel switch in Delhi. Land use, transportation and the environment. Transportation Asia Project.
- 2011. Sustainability assessment of wastewater treatment plants with water reuse for urban agriculture: A case study in Hyderabad, India. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Colorado Denver, Denver, Colorado, USA.
- 2012. Cross-country review of food life cycle assessment: From production to post-consumption waste. Manuscript in preparation. , and .
- MPNG (Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas). 2009. Petroleum and natural gas. New Delhi, India: Government of India. www.petroleum.nic.in. Accessed March 2011.
- MUD (Ministry of Urban Development). 2010. Improving service outcomes 2008–09. Service level benchmarking databook. New Delhi, India: Government of India. www.urbanindia. nic.in/programme/uwss/slb/slb.htm. Accessed March 2011.
- 2004. An analysis of cross-sectional variations in total household energy requirements in India using micro survey data. Energy Policy 32(15): 1723–1735.
- 2008. The household energy transition in India and China. Energy Policy 36(11): 4022–4035. and .
- 2008. A demand-centered, hybrid life-cycle methodology for city-scale greenhouse gas inventories. Environmental Science & Technology 42(17): 6455–6461. , , , , and .
- 2011. Two approaches to greenhouse gas emissions foot-printing at the city-scale. Environmental Science & Technology 45(10): 4205–4206. , , , and .
- 2010. Multi modal transport in a low carbon future. In India infrastructure report 2010, edited by S. S. P. Prabhu. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. and .
- 2008. Municipal solid waste management in Indian cities—A review. Waste Management 28(2): 459–467. , , , and .
- 2002a. Future scenarios of inventories of GHGs and urban pollutants from Delhi and Calcutta. Kitakyushu, Japan: IGES/APN Mega-City Project. , , and .
- 2002b. Inventory of GHGs and other urban pollutants from agriculture and waste sectors in Delhi and Calcutta. Kitakyushu, Japan: IGES/APN Mega-City Project. , , and .
- 2002c. Inventory of GHGs and other urban pollutants from energy sector in Delhi and Calcutta. Kitakyushu, Japan: IGES/APN Mega-City Project. , , and .
- 2002d. Inventory of GHGs and other urban pollutants from transport sector in Delhi and Calcutta. Kitakyushu, Japan: IGES/APN Mega-City Project. , , and .
- 2011. Greenhouse gas impacts of Oregon's consumption: Technical report. Somerville, MA, USA: Stockholm Environmental Institute. , , , , , and .
- 2008. 33% of Indians live in less space than US prisoners. Times of India [Delhi]. 25 November.
- World Bank. 2010. World development indicators. http://www.data. worldbank.org/country. Accessed February 2011.
- UN (United Nations). 2010. Population density and urbanization. www.unstats.un.org./unsd/demographic/sconcerns/densurb/default.htm. Accessed January 2011.
- UNFCCC (United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change). 2006. Updated UNFCCC reporting guidelines on annual inventories. www.unfccc.int/national_reports/annex_ i_ghg_inventories/reporting_requirements/items/2759.php. Accessed February 2012.
- 2007. Life cycle assessment of transit systems in the U.S. and India: Implications for a carbon-constrained future. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO, USA.
- WMSC (World Mayors Summit on Climate). 2010. World mayors summit on climate. www.wmsc2010.org/the-mexico-city-pact/. Accessed March 2011.