Sustainable Urban Systems
An Integrated Approach
Article first published online: 21 NOV 2012
© 2012 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Special Issue: Sustainable Urban Systems
Volume 16, Issue 6, pages 775–779, December 2012
How to Cite
Kennedy, C., Baker, L., Dhakal, S. and Ramaswami, A. (2012), Sustainable Urban Systems. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 16: 775–779. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00564.x
- Issue published online: 12 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 21 NOV 2012
- 2012. The urban harvest approach as an aid for sustainable urban resource planning. Journal of Industrial Ecology, DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00561.x , , , and .
- 2012. Reconstructing the energy history of a city: Melbourne's population, urban development, energy supply, and use from 1973 to 2005. Journal of Industrial Ecology, DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00567.x and .
- 2011. Comparison of household consumption and regional production approaches to assessing urban energy use and implications for policy. Energy Policy 39(11): 7298–7309. , , , and .
- 2011. Can urban P conservation prevent the brown devolution? Chemosphere 84: 779–784
- Forthcoming. Urban drought resilience. In: Situating sustainability in an unequal world, edited by A. Rademacher. New York, NY, USA: New York University Press.
- 2010. Delivering sustainable infrastructure that supports the urban built environment. Environmental Science and Technology 44(13): 4836–4840. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Substance flow analysis as a decision support tool for phosphorus management. Journal of Industrial Ecology 14(6): 870–873.
- 2012. Interdisciplinary perspectives on urban metabolism. Journal of Industrial Ecology, DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00556.x , , and .
- 2012. Implementing trans-boundary infrastructure-based greenhouse gas accounting for Delhi, India: Data availability and methods. Journal of Industrial Ecology, DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00546.x , , , , and .
- 2009. The story of phosphorus: Global food security and food for thought. Global Environmental Change 19(2): 292–305. , , and .
- 2010. GHG emissions from urbanization and opportunities for urban carbon mitigation. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability 2(4): 277–283.
- 2008. Global change and the ecology of cities. Science 319: 756–760. , , , , , , and .
- 2012. Urban energy systems. In Global energy assessment: Toward a sustainable future, edited by L. Gomez-Echeverri, T. B. Johansson, N. Nakicenovic, and A. Patwardhan. Laxenburg, Austria: International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis. , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Cities and green growth: A conceptual framework. OECD Regional Development Working Papers 2011/08. Paris, France: OECD Publishing. , , , and .
- 2012. Reshaping urban infrastructure: Material flow analysis and transitions analysis in an urban context. Journal of Industrial Ecology, DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00559.x , , , and .
- 2012. Pathways and management of phosphorus in urban areas. Journal of Industrial Ecology, DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00541.x , , , and .
- 2012. Using activity-based modeling to simulate urban resource demands at high spatial and temporal resolutions. Journal of Industrial Ecology, DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00486.x and .
- 2010. Historical statistics for mineral and material commodities in the United States. Data series 140, U.S. Geological Survey data, Washington, DC, USA. http://minerals.usgs.gov/ds/2005/140/#phosphate. Accessed 1 October 2012. and .
- 2007. The changing metabolism of cities. Journal of Industrial Ecology 11(2): 43–59. , , and .
- 2012. Mainstreaming urban metabolism. Journal of Industrial Ecology, DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00548.x and .
- 2012. New insights into electronic waste recycling in metropolitan areas. Journal of Industrial Ecology, DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00525.x , , and .
- 2012a. Efficiency through proximity: Changes in phosphorus cycling at the urban–agricultural interface of a rapidly urbanizing desert region. Journal of Industrial Ecology, DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00554.x , , and .
- 2012b. Phosphorus in Phoenix: A budget and spatial approach representation of phosphorus in urban systems. Ecological Applications 22(2): 705–721. , , , , , , and .
- 2012. Greenhouse gas emission scenario modeling for cities using the PURGE model: A case study of the greater Toronto area. Journal of Industrial Ecology, DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00563.x and .
- 2008. A demand-centered hybrid life cycle methodology for city-scale greenhouse gas inventories. Environmental Science & Technology 42(17): 6456–6461. , , , , and .
- 2012a. Carbon footprinting of cities and implications for analysis of urban material and energy flows. Journal of Industrial Ecology, DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00569.x , , and .
- 2012b. A social-ecological-infrastructural systems framework for interdisciplinary study of sustainable city systems: An integrative curriculum across seven major disciplines. Journal of Industrial Ecology, DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00566.x , , , , , , , and .
- 2012. Toward low energy cities: A case study of the urban area of Liège, Belgium. Journal of Industrial Ecology, DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00533.x and .
- Rosenzweig, C., W. D. Solecki, S. A. Hammer, and S. Mehrotra (eds.). 2011. Climate change and cities: First assessment report of the Urban Climate Change Research Network. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- 2005. Developing sustainability criteria for urban infrastructure systems. Canadian Journal for Civil Engineering 32(1): 72–85. , , and .
- 2012. Using life cycle assessment to evaluate green and grey combined sewer overflow control strategies. Journal of Industrial Ecology, DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00534.x , , and .
- 2012. Greenhouse gas emissions in King County: An updated geographic-plus inventory, a consumption-based inventory, and an ongoing tracking framework. Somerville, MA, USA: Stockholm Environmental Institute (U.S. Center). , , , , , and .
- 2012. Multi-scale approach to life cycle assessment: Evaluation of the effect of an increase in New York City's rooftop albedo on human health. Journal of Industrial Ecology, DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00560.x
- UNEP (United Nations Environment Programme). 2012. Sustainable, resource efficient cities—Making it happen! Paris, France: UNEP Division of Technology, Industry and Economics.
- UN-HABITAT. 2011. Cities and climate change: Global report on human settlements. Nairobi, Kenya: UN-HABITAT.
- 1965. The metabolism of cities. Scientific American 213(3): 179–190.
- World Bank. 2010. Cities and climate change: An urgent agenda. Washington, DC, USA: World Bank.
- 2012. Translating research to policy for sustainable cities: What works and what doesn't? Journal of Industrial Ecology DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00565.x , , , , , and .