A Social-Ecological-Infrastructural Systems Framework for Interdisciplinary Study of Sustainable City Systems
An Integrative Curriculum Across Seven Major Disciplines
Article first published online: 3 DEC 2012
© 2012 by Yale University
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Special Issue: Sustainable Urban Systems
Volume 16, Issue 6, pages 801–813, December 2012
How to Cite
Ramaswami, A., Weible, C., Main, D., Heikkila, T., Siddiki, S., Duvall, A., Pattison, A. and Bernard, M. (2012), A Social-Ecological-Infrastructural Systems Framework for Interdisciplinary Study of Sustainable City Systems. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 16: 801–813. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00566.x
- Issue published online: 12 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 3 DEC 2012
- Integrative Graduate Education, Research, and Traineeship (IGERT)
- National Science Foundation. Grant Number: DGE-0654378
- 2010. Behavior and energy policy. Science 327(5970): 1204–1205. and .
- 2003. Design through the 12 principles of green engineering. Environmental Science and Technology 37(5): 94A–101A. and .
- ANL (Argonne National Laboratory). 2011. GREET model: The greenhouse gases, regulated emissions, and energy use in transportation model. Argonne, IL, USA: ANL. http://greet.es.anl.gov/. Accessed 9 September 2011.
- 2010. Society, energy and materials: The contribution of urban metabolism studies to sustainable urban development issues. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management 53(4): 439–455.
- 2010. Arithmetics of population growth. Video. University of Colorado Boulder, Boulder, CO, USA. www.albartlett.org/presentations/arithmetic_population_energy.html. Accessed 9 September 2011.
- 2007. Targeted assessment of students’ interdisciplinary work: An empirically grounded framework proposed. Journal of Higher Education 78(2): 215–237. and .
- 2008. Understanding policy change: Multiple streams and emissions trading in Germany. Global Environmental Change 18(3): 501–507.
- BTS (Bureau of Transportation Statistics). 2009. Freight in America. Washington, DC, USA: BTS.
- 2007. Climate change and developing-country cities: Implications for environmental health and equity. Journal of Urban Health 84(1): 109–117. and .
- 2011. Progress towards low-carbon: Approaches for trans-boundary greenhouse gas emissions footprinting for cities. Carbon Management 2(4): 471–482. and .
- 2011. Implementing trans-boundary infrastructure-based greenhouse gas accounting for Delhi, India: Data availability and methods. Journal of Industrial Ecology 16(6). DOI: 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00546.x. , , , and .
- 2001. The IPAT equation and its variants: Changing views of technology and environmental impact. Journal of Industrial Ecology 4(4): 13–29.
- 2008. Modeling the carbon cycle of urban systems. Ecological Modelling 216(2): 107–113.
- 2001. Developing an evidence base for interdisciplinary learning: A systematic review. Journal of Advanced Nursing 35(2): 228–237. , , , and .
- 2012. Assessing development of an interdisciplinary perspective in an undergraduate neuroscience course. Journal of Undergraduate Neuroscience Education 10(2): A88–A95. and .
- 2005. Economics in a full world. Scientific American 293(3): 100–107.
- 2009. Household actions can provide a behavioral wedge to rapidly reduce U. S. carbon emissions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 106(44): 18452–18456. , , , , and .
- DOE (U.S. Department of Energy). 2010. Basic petroleum statistics: Ranking of U.S. refineries. Updated June 2011. www.eia.gov/neic/rankings/refineries.htm. Accessed 9 September 2011.
- 1997. Industrial ecology in practice: The evolution of interdependence at Kalundborg. Journal of Industrial Ecology 1(1): 67–79. and .
- EPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency). 2007. eGRID: Emissions and generation resource integrated database. Updated 5 February 2009. www.epa.gov/cleanenergy/energy-resources/egrid/index.html#download. Accessed 9 September 2011.
- 2007. Rational choice and regional governance. Journal of Urban Affairs 29(1): 47–63.
- 2003. The human development paradigm: Operationalizing Sen's ideas on capabilities. Feminist Economics 9(2–3): 301–317.
- 2003. Global freshwater resources: Soft-path solutions for the 21st century. Science 302: 1524–1528.
- 2008. A room with a viewpoint: Using social norms to motivate environmental conservation in hotels. Journal of Consumer Research 35(3): 472–482. , , and .
- 2001. Energy efficiency and the rebound effect: Does increasing efficiency decrease demand? Congressional research service. Library of Congress. RS20981 (Report number). Washington, DC: National Council for the Science and the Environment.
- 2008. Global change and the ecology of cities. Science 319: 756–760. , , , , , , and .
- 1968. The tragedy of the commons. Science 162: 1243–1248.
- 1998. Environmental and natural resources economics. New York, NY, USA: M. E. Sharpe.
- 2011. Petroleum and health care: Evaluating and managing health care's vulnerability to petroleum supply shifts. American Journal of Public Health 101(9):1568–1579. , , , and .
- 2010. Greenhouse gas emission footprints and energy use benchmarks for eight U.S. cities. Environmental Science and Technology 44(6): 1902–1910. and .
- 2000. Expanding U.S. transmission capacity. Washington, DC: Edison Electric Institute.
- 2000. The economics of energy efficiency: Insights from voluntary participation programs. Energy Policy 28(6–7): 477–486. , , and .
- 1998. Review of community-based research: Assessing partnership approaches to improve public health. Annual Review of Public Health 19: 173–202. , , , and
- 2002. Interdisciplinary learning: Process and outcomes. Innovative Higher Education 27(2): 95–111. , , , and .
- 1991. Explaining change in policy subsystems: Analysis of coalition stability and defection over time. American Journal of Political Sciences 35(4): 851–880. , , and .
- 2010. SynCity: An integrated toolkit for urban energy systems modeling. In Energy efficient cities: Assessment tools and benchmarking practices, edited by R. K. Bose. Washington, DC: The World Bank. , , and .
- 2007. The changing metabolism of cities. Journal of Industrial Ecology 11(2): 43–59. , , and .
- 2009. Greenhouse gas emissions from global cities. Environmental Science and Technology 43(19):7297–7302. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1997. Advancing interdisciplinary studies. In Handbook of the undergraduate curriculum: A comprehensive guide to purposes, structures, practices, and change, edited by J. Gaff and J. Ratcliff. San Francisco, CA, USA: Jossey-Bass, 393–415. and .
- 1978. Progress and its problems: Towards a theory of scientific growth. Berkeley, CA, USA: University of California Press.
- 2010. Fostering sustainable behavior. www.cbsm.com/pages/guide/preface. Accessed 9 September 2011. and .
- 2003. Two avenues for encouraging conservation behaviors. Human Ecology Review 10(2): 429–434.
- 1995. Promoting active learning: Strategies for the college classroom. San Francisco, CA, USA: Jossey-Bass. and .
- 2004. Megacities and atmospheric pollution. Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association 54(6): 644–680. and .
- 2012. India power outage: 620 million people affected by one of the world's biggest blackouts. Associated Press, July 2012.
- 2003. Sorting out the connections between the built environment and health: A conceptual framework for navigating pathways and planning healthy cities. Journal of Urban Health 80(4): 556–568. , , and .
- 2010. Global demographic trends and future carbon emissions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 107(41): 17521–17526. , , , , , and .
- OPOWER. 2011. http://opower.com/. Accessed 9 September 2011.
- 1990. Governing the commons: The evolution of institutions for collective action. New York, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press.
- 2005. Understanding institutional diversity. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press.
- 1994. Rules, games, and common-pool resources. Ann Arbor, MI, USA: University of Michigan Press. , , and .
- 2004. Stabilization wedges: Solving the climate problem for the next 50 years with current technologies. Science 305(5686): 968–972. , and .
- 2010. Carbon footprints and embodied carbon at multiple scales. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability 2: 245–250.
- 2001. Urban ecological systems: Linking terrestrial ecological, physical, and socioeconomic components of metropolitan areas. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 3: 127–157. , , , , , , and .
- Potoski, M. and A. Prakash (eds.). 2009. Voluntary programs: A club theory perspective. Cambridge, MA, USA: MIT Press.
- 2012. Quantifying carbon stabilization wedges for U.S. cities: Near-term strategy analysis and critical review. Environmental Science & Technology 46(7): 3629–3642. , , , , , , , and .
- 2011a. Two approaches to greenhouse gas emissions foot-printing at the city-scale. Environmental Science & Technology 45(10): 4205–4206. , , , and .
- 2008. A demand-centered, hybrid life-cycle methodology for city-scale greenhouse gas inventories. Environmental Science & Technology 42(17): 6455–6461. , , , , and .
- 2011b. Planning for low-carbon communities in U.S. cities: A participatory process model between academic institutions, local governments and communities in Colorado. Carbon Management 2(4): 397–411. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Integrating developing world knowledge into global discussions and strategies for sustainability, part 2: Economics and governance. Environmental Science & Technology 41(10): 3415–3430. , , and .
- 2009. Identifying barriers to and outcomes of interdisciplinarity in the engineering classroom. European Journal of Engineering Education 34(1): 29–45. and .
- 2006. Water scarcity: Fact or fiction? Agricultural Water Management 80: 5–22.
- 2003. Diffusion of innovations, 5th ed. New York, NY, USA: Free Press.
- 1988. An advocacy coalition framework of policy change and the role of policy-oriented learning therein. Policy Sciences 21: 129–168.
- 2007. The constructive, destructive, and reconstructive power of social norms. Psychological Science 18(5): 429–434.Direct Link:, , , , , and .
- 2009. Identifying future electricity-water tradeoffs in the United States. Energy Policy 37(7): 2763–2773. and .
- 2010. From constraint to sufficiency: The decoupling of energy and carbon from human needs, 1975–2005. Ecological Economics 70(2): 425–433. and .
- 2000. Toward a coherent theory of environmentally significant behavior. Journal of Social Issues 56(3): 407–424.
- Transportation Research Board. 2009. Driving and the built environment: The effects of compact development on motorized travel, energy use, and CO2 emissions. Washington, DC, USA: National Research Council, 50–105.
- 2008. Energy performance of LEED for new construction buildings. Vancouver, WA, USA: New Buildings Institute. and .
- UN (United Nations). 2008. World population prospects: The 2008 revision population database. New York, NY, USA: UN. http://esa.un.org/unpp/. Accessed 9 September 2011.
- 2004. Introduction to urban simulation: Design and development of operational models. In Handbook of transport geography and spatial systems, edited by D. A. Hensher. San Diego, CA, USA: Elsevier. and .
- 2008. Food-miles and the relative climate impacts of food choices in the United States. Environmental Science & Technology 42(10): 3508–3513. and .
- 2012. The advocacy coalition framework: Coalitions, learning, and policy change. In The handbook of public policy edited by E. Araral, S. Fritzen, M. Howlett, M. Ramesh, and X. Wu. New York, NY: Routledge. and .
- WHO (World Health Organization). 2009. The global burden of disease. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO.
- 2011. Carbon footprinting for climate change management in cities. Carbon Management 2(1): 49–60. , , , and .