An earlier version of this paper was presented at the American Geriatrics Society national meeting in Seattle, May 2007.
Geriatric Co-Management of Proximal Femur Fractures: Total Quality Management and Protocol-Driven Care Result in Better Outcomes for a Frail Patient Population
Version of Record online: 22 MAY 2008
© 2008, Copyright the Authors. Journal compilation © 2008, The American Geriatrics Society
Journal of the American Geriatrics Society
Volume 56, Issue 7, pages 1349–1356, July 2008
How to Cite
Friedman, S. M., Mendelson, D. A., Kates, S. L. and McCann, R. M. (2008), Geriatric Co-Management of Proximal Femur Fractures: Total Quality Management and Protocol-Driven Care Result in Better Outcomes for a Frail Patient Population. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 56: 1349–1356. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2008.01770.x
- Issue online: 7 AUG 2008
- Version of Record online: 22 MAY 2008
- 2National consensus conference on improving the continuum of care for patients with hip fracture. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2002;84-A:670–674.,
- 7Recovery from hip fracture in eight areas of function. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2000;55A:M498–M507., , et al.
- 10Efficacy of a comprehensive geriatric intervention in older patients hospitalized for hip fracture: A randomized, controlled trial. J Am Geriatr Soc 2005;53:1476–1482., , et al.
- 16Shared care between geriatricians and orthopaedic surgeons as a model of care for older patients with hip fractures. N Z Med J 2005;118:U1438., , et al.
- 18Older patients with hip fractures: Evaluation of a long-term specialist orthopaedic medicine service in their outcomes. N Z Med J 2007;120:U2535., , et al.
- 28Medical consultation for patients with hip fracture. UpToDate 2007 [on-line]. Available at: http://www.utdol.com/utd/content/topic.do?topicKey=med_cons/2188&selectedTitle=1~91&source=search_result2007 Accessed July 11, 2007.,
- 39About Solucient. Thomson Healthcare [on-line]. Available at http://www.solucient.com/aboutus/aboutus.shtml Accessed August 6, 2007.
- 40CDC Fact Sheet. Hip fractures among older adults. Center for Disease Control and Prevention [online]. Available at http://www.cec.gov/ncipc/factsheets/adulthipfx.htm Accessed October 11, 2007.
- 41Effectiveness of a multidisciplinary team approach to hip fracture management. J Surg Orthop Adv 2005;14:27–31., , et al.
- 43Clinical pathway for hip fractures in the elderly: The Hospital for Joint Diseases experience. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2004;425:72–81., , et al.
- 44Universal protocol cuts hip surgery fatalities: Sentinel event leads to innovative solutions. Health Care Benchmarks Qual Improve 2005;12:30–32.
- 45Using a collaborative approach to reduce postoperative complications for hip-fracture patients: A three-year follow-up. Jt Comm J Qual Saf 2006;32:16–23., , et al.
- 48Hazards of hospitalization: Residence prior to admission predicts outcomes. Gerontologist 2007, in press., , et al.