Prevalence of Psychiatric Illnesses in Older Ethnic Minority Adults
Article first published online: 26 JAN 2010
© 2010, Copyright the Authors. Journal compilation © 2010, The American Geriatrics Society
Journal of the American Geriatrics Society
Volume 58, Issue 2, pages 256–264, February 2010
How to Cite
Jimenez, D. E., Alegría, M., Chen, C.-n., Chan, D. and Laderman, M. (2010), Prevalence of Psychiatric Illnesses in Older Ethnic Minority Adults. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 58: 256–264. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2009.02685.x
- Issue published online: 27 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 26 JAN 2010
- 1The demography of minority aging populations. J Fam Hist 1992;17:95–114.,
- 2Administration on Aging. Achieving cultural competence: A guidebook for providers of services to older Americans and their families [on-line]. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2001. Available at http://aoa.dhhs.gov/minorityaccess/guidebook2001 Accessed February 21, 2008.
- 9The epidemiology of affective disorders in the elderly: A review. Int J Clin Psychopharmacol 1997;12:S3–S13.,
- 11Depression in Old Age. New York: John Wiley & Sons Inc., 1994.
- 12Correlates of depressive symptomatology among older community-dwelling Mexican Americans: The Hispanic EPESE. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 1998;53B:S198–S208., ,
- 16Lifetime and twelve-month prevalence rates of major depressive episodes and dysthymia among Chinese Americans in Los Angeles. Am J Psychiatry 1998;115:1407–1414., , et al.
- 20Nativity and DSM-IV psychiatric disorders among Puerto Ricans, Cuban Americans and non-Latino Whites in the United States: Results from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions. J Clin Psychiatry 2006;67:56–65., , et al.
- 23Ethnocultural factors and substance abuse toward culturally sensitive treatment models. Psychol Addictive Behav 1993;7:162–167.
- 26National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) Data Set. Collaborative Psychiatric Epidemiology Survey Program (CPES): Integrated Weights and Sampling Error Codes for Design-based Analysis, 2007.
- 27Considering context, place and culture: The National Latino and Asian American Study. Int J Method Pyschiatr Res 2004;13:208–220., , et al.
- 32http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/cocoon/cpes/using.xml?section=Weighting Accessed September 3, 2009.National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) Data Set, Collaborative Psychiatric Epidemiology Survey Program (CPES): Integrated Weights and Sampling Error Codes for Design-based Analysis [on-line]. 2007 Available at
- 35Multiple frame surveys. Proc Soc Stat Sect 1962, 203–206.
- 36Multiple frame methodology and selected applications. Sankhya, Ser C 1974;36 (Part 3):99–118.
- 37Race, ethnicity and the use of services for mental disorders: Results from the National Survey of American Life (NSAL). Arch Gen Psychiatry 2007;64:1–10., , et al.
- 40American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders-Text Revision, 4th Ed. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press, 2000.
- 45A nonlinear hierarchical model for estimating prevalence rates with small samples. Proc Soc Stat Sect 2005, 110–120., ,
- 51Drinking in the United States: Main Findings from the 1992 National Longitudinal Epidemiologic Survey (NLAES). Bethesda, MD: NIAAA, 1998., , et al.
- 56African American religious participation: A multi-sample comparison. J Sci Study Religion 1999;38:132–145., ,
- 57Keeping the faith: Religion, Stress, and Psychological Well-Being Among African American Women In: Brown DR, Keith VM, editors. In and Out of Our Right Minds: The Mental Health of African American Women. New York: Columbia University Press, 2003, pp 233–241.,
- 59Looking beyond nativity: The relation of age of immigration, length of residence, and birth cohorts to the risk of onset of psychiatric disorders for latinos. Res Human Dev 2007;4:19–47., , et al.
- 62Functional disability of the Puerto Rican elderly. J Aging Health 1989;1:244–246.