OBJECTIVES: To design, implement, and assess an educational intervention for providers focused on osteoporosis screening and management in older patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or asthma who have been prescribed prolonged courses of oral or high-dose inhaled corticosteroids or both and are therefore at high risk for bone loss and fractures.
DESIGN: One-group pretest–posttest.
SETTING: Academic outpatient pulmonary practice.
PARTICIPANTS: Nineteen pulmonary specialists at an academic medical center.
INTERVENTION: Educational theory and a needs assessment and attitude survey guided the development of a multicomponent educational intervention.
MEASUREMENTS: Change in provider behavior was assessed by auditing the electronic medical records for adherence to osteoporosis management guidelines in high-risk patients seen by participants at baseline and for 6 months after the educational intervention. Knowledge transfer and changes in attitude were assessed using pre- and posttests and surveys.
RESULTS: A 19% increase in overall rate of adherence to osteoporosis management guidelines in high-risk patients was observed: 45% before intervention to 64% after intervention (n=249 patients, P=.003). Postintervention surveys and test scores also showed statistically significant gains from baseline.
CONCLUSION: An educational intervention improved adherence to osteoporosis management guidelines of academic pulmonary specialists. The results of this study provide evidence for the positive effect of a multimodal educational program in altering practice behaviors.