[See Editorial Comments by Drs. Sei J. Lee and Cynthia M. Boyd, 361–363]
Treating Chronically Ill People with Diabetes Mellitus with Limited Life Expectancy: Implications for Performance Measurement
Article first published online: 19 JAN 2012
© 2012, Copyright the Authors Journal compilation © 2012, The American Geriatrics Society
Journal of the American Geriatrics Society
Volume 60, Issue 2, pages 193–201, February 2012
How to Cite
Woodard, L. D., Landrum, C. R., Urech, T. H., Profit, J., Virani, S. S. and Petersen, L. A. (2012), Treating Chronically Ill People with Diabetes Mellitus with Limited Life Expectancy: Implications for Performance Measurement. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 60: 193–201. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2011.03784.x
The views expressed are solely of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Issue published online: 14 FEB 2012
- Article first published online: 19 JAN 2012
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- Johnson Foundation. Grant Number: 045444
- National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. Grant Number: K23 HD056298
- VA HSR&D Service Career Development. Grant Number: CDA-09–028
- 2California Healthcare Foundation/American Geriatrics Society Panel on Improving Care for Elders with Diabetes. Guidelines for Improving the Care of the Older Person with Diabetes Mellitus. J Am Geriatr Soc 2003;51(5 Suppl Guidelines):S265–S280.
- 3Veterans Health Affairs, Department of Defense. VA/DoD Clinical Practice Guideline for the Management of Diabetes Mellitus. Version 4.0. Release date: August 2010.
- 4Office of Quality and Performance. FY 2011 Q1 Clinical Measures Specification Manual, 2.Veterans Health Administration. October 1, 2010.
- 6SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975–2006. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute. Available at http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2006/ Accessed July 26, 2011., , et al.
- 10Racial and ethnic differences in the treatment of seriously ill patients: A comparison of African-American, Caucasian and Hispanic veterans. J Natl Med Assoc 2008;100:041–1051., , et al.
- 16Office of Quality and Performance. FY 2007, Q3 Technical Manual. VHA Performance Measurement System. Office of Quality and Performance. March 16, 2007.
- 19GLLAMM Manual, Paper 160. Berkley, CA: University of California, 2004., , .
- 23British Medical Association. Quality and outcomes framework guidance: Section 2: Clinical indicators [on-line]. Available at http://www.bma.org.uk/employmentandcontracts/independent_contractors/quality_outcomes_framework/qof06.jsp?page=6#Exceptionreporting Accessed July 26, 2011.
- 34Executive Summary. American Diabetes Association. Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes—2009. Diabetes Care 2009;32(Suppl 1):S6–S12.