Content from this study was presented as an abstract for poster presentation at the American Geriatrics Society Annual Scientific Meeting, Orlando, Florida, May 12–15, 2010.
New-Onset Treatment-Dependent Diabetes Mellitus and Hyperlipidemia Associated with Atypical Antipsychotic Use in Older Adults without Schizophrenia or Bipolar Disorder
Version of Record online: 30 JAN 2012
© 2012, Copyright the Authors Journal compilation © 2012, The American Geriatrics Society
Journal of the American Geriatrics Society
Volume 60, Issue 3, pages 474–479, March 2012
How to Cite
Erickson, S. C., Le, L., Zakharyan, A., Stockl, K. M., Harada, A. S. M., Borson, S., Ramsey, S. D. and Curtis, B. (2012), New-Onset Treatment-Dependent Diabetes Mellitus and Hyperlipidemia Associated with Atypical Antipsychotic Use in Older Adults without Schizophrenia or Bipolar Disorder. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 60: 474–479. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2011.03842.x
- Issue online: 12 MAR 2012
- Version of Record online: 30 JAN 2012
- 6Use of atypical antipsychotics in the elderly. Psychiatry (Edgemont) 2008;5:28–31., , .
- 13Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with Alzheimer's disease and other dementias [on-line]. Arlington (VA): American Psychiatric Association, 2007. Available at http://www.psychiatryonline.com/pracGuide/pracGuideTopic_3.aspx. Accessed March 5, 2010., , et al.
- 16Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Percentage of civilian, noninstitutionalized population with diagnosed diabetes, by age, United States, 1980–2007 [on-line] July 29, 2009. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/statistics/prev/national/figbyage.htm. Accessed March 9, 2010.
- 17American Diabetes Association. Diabetes statistics [on-line]. Available at http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-statistics/. Accessed March 9, 2010.
- 21FDA to require diabetes warning on antipsychotics. Psychiatric News 2003;38:1..
- 22U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Warning about hyperglycemia and atypical antipsychotic drugs. FDA Safety News [on-line] June 2004. Available at http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/psn/transcript.cfm?show=28. Accessed March 11, 2010.
- 27Are weight gain and metabolic side effects of atypical antipsychotics dose dependent? A literature review. J Clin Psychiatry 2009;10:1041–1050., , .