Russian Jews and “Gypsy Punks”: The Performance of Real and Imagined Cultural Identities within a Transnational Migrant Group
Article first published online: 23 MAR 2012
© 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Popular Music Studies
Volume 24, Issue 1, pages 3–24, March 2012
How to Cite
Jablonsky, R. (2012), Russian Jews and “Gypsy Punks”: The Performance of Real and Imagined Cultural Identities within a Transnational Migrant Group. Journal of Popular Music Studies, 24: 3–24. doi: 10.1111/j.1533-1598.2012.01313.x
- Issue published online: 23 MAR 2012
- Article first published online: 23 MAR 2012
- Jazz Age Jews. Princeton : Princeton UP, 2001. .
- Modernity at Large: Cultural Dimensions of Globalization. Minneapolis : U of Minnesota P, 1996. .
- “Russia between Europe and Asia: The Ideological Construction of Geographical Space. Slavic Review 50.1 (1991): 1–17. .
- And You Shall Know Us by the Trail of Our Vinyl: The Jewish Past as Told by the Records We Have Loved and Lost. New York : Crown Publishers, 2008. , and .
- “Burdel Dali Presents: Immigrant Anthems for Global Citizens.” Available at <http://burdeldali.com/> (accessed on 22 March 2010).
- “GB-Dancing to ‘Undestructable.’” Available at <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehD3s-z3qig> (accessed on 11 April 2010).
- “GB Hutz Performing ‘Alcohol.’” Available at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJBm2BR1IUY> (accessed on 9 April 2010).
- “GB-Hutz picks up wine bottle.” Available at <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afaqa3j3X54> (accessed on 9 April 2010).
- “GB-Invite to afterparty.” Available at <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWrqndJYfeg> (accessed on 9 April 2010).
- “GB Pedro on bass drum.” Available at <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwsiI91Cey8> (accessed on 9 April 2010).
- “GB-Provocation of Audience.” Available at <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1EcQ9kzJls> (accessed on 9 April 2010).
- “GB-Thanks the audience.” Available at <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6FtqziWNcs> (accessed on 11 April 2010).
- “Gogol Bordello Lyrics.” Available at <http://gogolbordello.com/frequencies/lyrics/> (accessed on 4 April 2010).
- Jewish Russians: Upheavals in a Moscow Synagogue. Philadelphia : U of Pennsylvania P, 2003. .
- Subculture: The Meaning of Style. London : Methuen, 1979. .
- Break all rules!: punk rock and the making of a style. Ann Arbor: UMI Research P, 1989. .
- “Ice Cage.” Available at <http://www.mehanata.com> (accessed on 22 March 2010).
- 2009. “Gypsy Tabor Festival.” Online television series episode. Available at <http://www.twilightvisiontv.com/episodepages/episodes21.html> (accessed on 11 April 2010). , and .
- “The Russian Jewish Intelligentsia and the Search for National Identity. Ethnic and National Issues in Russian and Eastern European History. Ed. John Morison. New York : St. Martin's P, 2000. .
- Between Two Fires: Gypsy Performance and Romani Memory from Pushkin to Post-Socialism. Durham, NC : Duke UP, 2000. .
- Love and Theft: Blackface Minstrelsy and the American Working Class. New York : Oxford UP, 1993. .
- Lipstick Traces: A Secret History of the Twentieth Century. Cambridge , MA: Harvard UP, 1989. .
- A Community in Spite of Itself: Soviet Jewish Emigrés in New York. Washington , DC: Smithsonian Institution P, 1993. .
- An Ethnic History of Russia: Pre-Revolutionary Times to the Present. Ed. Vitaly Naumkin and Irina Zviagelskaia. Westport , CT : Greenwood P, 1996. , and .
- “Mehanata Gypsy Tabor Festival.” Available at <http://www.nygypsy.com/default.aspx> (accessed on 11 April 2010).
- Home Territories: Media, Mobility, and Identity. London : Routledge, 2000. .
- Punk Jews: A Documentary Film about Badass Jews. Available at <http://www.punkjews.com> (accessed on 30 October 2011).
- “Punk Jews: Why We Made It.” The Algemeiner (Beta) 30 August 2001. Available at <http://www.algemeiner.com/2011/08/30/punk-jews-why-we-made-it/> (accessed on 8 December 2011).
- “Jewish Identity, Values, and Religion in a Globalized World: A Study of Late Adolescents. Identity: An International Journal of Theory and Research 6 (2006): 231–49. , and .
- The USSR as a Communal Apartment, or How a Socialist State Promoted Ethnic Particularism. Slavic Review 53.2 (1994): 414–52. .
- “Citizenship and Identity: Living in Diasporas in Post-War Europe. Ethnic and Racial Studies 23.1 (2000): 1–15. .