The Time Is Now: Acceptance and Conquest in Pop Music1
Article first published online: 23 MAR 2012
© 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Popular Music Studies
Volume 24, Issue 1, pages 57–70, March 2012
How to Cite
Ventzislavov, R. (2012), The Time Is Now: Acceptance and Conquest in Pop Music. Journal of Popular Music Studies, 24: 57–70. doi: 10.1111/j.1533-1598.2012.01316.x
- Issue published online: 23 MAR 2012
- Article first published online: 23 MAR 2012
- “Lady Power. The Stone, The New York Times Online. June 20, 2010. Available at http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/20/lady-power/#more-52953. Accessed on December 9, 2011. .
- Time and Free Will; An Essay on the Immediate Data of Consciousness. Translated by F. L. Pogson. New York : Dover Publications, 2001. .
- Theory of The Avant-Garde. Translated by Michael Shaw as “Theory and History of Literature,” Volume 4. Manchester : Manchester UP, 1984. .
- “The Artworld. The Journal of Philosophy. American Philosophical Association Eastern Division Sixty-First Annual Meeting. 61.19 (1964): 571–84. .
- A Thousand Plateaus. Translated by Brian Massumi. Minneapolis : U of Minnesota P, 1987. , and .
- “Authenticity in Art. The Oxford Handbook of Aesthetics. Ed. Jerrold Levinson. New York and Oxford : Oxford UP, 2003. .
- “Sociological Aspects and Ritual Similarities in the Relationship between Pop Music and Religion. International Review of the Aesthetics and Sociology of Music 34.1 (2003): 57–70. .
- “Ladies Wild: How Not Dumb Is Gaga?” The New Yorker April 27, 2009. Available at http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/musical/2009/04/27/090427crmu_music_frerejones?currentPage=all. Accessed on December 9, 2011. .
- “Show Runners, The Women of Pop. The New Yorker June 27, 2011. Available at http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/musical/2011/06/27/110627crmu_music_frerejones?currentPage=allWeb. Accessed on December 9, 2011. .
- “Dept. of Hoopla: Celebromatic. The New Yorker November 30, 2009. Available at http://www.newyorker.com/talk/2009/11/30/091130ta_talk_goodyear. Accessed on December 9, 2011. .
- “Space Oddities: Aliens, Futurism and Meaning in Popular Music. Popular Music 22.3 (2003): 337–55. .
- “Performance and the Postmodern in Pop Music. Theatre Journal, Performance in Context. 41.3 (1989): 273–93. .
- “The Broken Heart & Violent Fantasies of Lady Gaga. Rolling Stone Magazine (1108/1109) (2010): 66–74. .
- “‘I’d Sell You Suicide:’ Pop Music and Moral Panic in the Age of Marilyn Manson,” Popular Music 19.3 (2000): 365–85. .