We would like to thank Stephen Brown, Jennifer Carpenter, Kalok Chan, Lewis Chan, Gregory Chow, John Griffin, John Heaton, Jean Helwege, David Hirshleifer, Burton Hollifield, Douglas Joines, Andrew Karolyi, Donna Keyser, Burton Malkiel, René Stulz, Jessica Wachter, Karen Wruck, Jeff Wurgler, and participants at NBER Japan Project Meeting, 13th Annual Conference in Financial Economics and Accounting at University of Maryland, and seminars at City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, New York University, Ohio State University, University of Southern California for helpful discussions and suggestions. We are grateful to Kenneth West, the editor, and two anonymous referees for helpful comments. Jianping Mei's research is supported by China National Science Foundation Grant No. 70440420136 and Cheung Kong Graduate School of Business research grant.
Unique Symptoms of Japanese Stagnation: An Equity Market Perspective
Article first published online: 8 JUN 2007
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking
Volume 39, Issue 4, pages 901–923, June 2007
How to Cite
HAMAO, Y., MEI, J. and XU, Y. (2007), Unique Symptoms of Japanese Stagnation: An Equity Market Perspective. Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, 39: 901–923. doi: 10.1111/j.1538-4616.2007.00050.x
- Issue published online: 8 JUN 2007
- Article first published online: 8 JUN 2007
- Received July 23, 2003; and accepted in revised form October 6, 2005.
This article has been cited by:
- 1Cyclical behavior of firm-level volatility: An explanation for the contrast between the United States and Japan, Journal of Macroeconomics, 2013, 38, 452,
- 2R2and the Economy, Annual Review of Financial Economics, 2013, 5, 1, 143, , ,
- 5When did firms become more different? Time-varying firm-specific volatility in Japan, Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, 2012, 26, 4, 578, ,
- 6An Equity Market Perspective on the Korean Financial Crisis, Global Economic Review, 2010, 39, 1, 83, ,
- 7Zombie Lending and Depressed Restructuring in Japan, American Economic Review, 2008, 98, 5, 1943, , ,