Microfluidic focal thrombosis model for measuring murine platelet deposition and stability: PAR4 signaling enhances shear-resistance of platelet aggregates
Version of Record online: 8 OCT 2008
© 2008 International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis
Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis
Volume 6, Issue 12, pages 2193–2201, December 2008
How to Cite
NEEVES, K. B., MALONEY, S. F., FONG, K. P., SCHMAIER, A. A., KAHN, M. L., BRASS, L. F. and DIAMOND, S. L. (2008), Microfluidic focal thrombosis model for measuring murine platelet deposition and stability: PAR4 signaling enhances shear-resistance of platelet aggregates. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 6: 2193–2201. doi: 10.1111/j.1538-7836.2008.03188.x
- Issue online: 24 NOV 2008
- Version of Record online: 8 OCT 2008
- Received 9 April 2008, accepted 4 September 2008
- 1In vivo thrombus formation in murine models. Circ Res 2007; 100: 979–91., .
- 2Rat model of arterial thrombosis induced by ferric chloride. Thromb Res 1990; 60: 269–80., , .
- 3Photochemically induced thrombosis model in rat femoral artery and evaluation of effects of heparin and tissue-type plasminogen activator with use of this model. J Pharmacol Methods 1991; 25: 303–17., , , .
- 4Laser-induced noninvasive vascular injury models in mice generate platelet- and coagulation-dependent thrombi. Am J Pathol 2001; 158: 1613–22., , , , , , , .
- 5Real-time in vivo imaging of platelets, tissue factor and fibrin during arterial thrombus formation in the mouse. Nat Med 2002; 8: 1175–81., , , , .
- 6The role of blood flow in platelet adhesion, fibrin deposition, and formation of mural thrombi. Microvasc Res 1973; 5: 167–79..
- 7A perfusion chamber developed to investigate platelet interaction in flowing blood with human vessel wall cells, their extracellular matrix, and purified components. J Lab Clin Med 1983; 102: 522–35., , , , .
- 8A new perfusion chamber to detect platelet adhesion using a small volume of blood. Thromb Res 1998; 92: S43–6., , , .
- 9Collagen type III induced ex vivo thrombogenesis in humans. Role of platelets and leukocytes in deposition of fibrin. Arteriosclerosis 1990; 10: 276–84., , , , , , .
- 10Measurements of platelet interaction with components of the vessel wall in flowing blood. Methods Enzymol 1989; 169: 37–70., , .
- 11Endothelial cells stimulated with tumor necrosis factor-alpha express varying amounts of tissue factor resulting in inhomogenous fibrin deposition in a native blood flow system. Effects of thrombin inhibitors. J Clin Invest 1994; 93: 2073–83., , , .
- 12Platelet adhesion and aggregation on human type VI collagen surfaces under physiological flow conditions. Blood 1995; 85: 1826–35., , , .
- 13Platelets, circulating tissue factor, and fibrin colocalize in ex vivo thrombi: real-time fluorescence images of thrombus formation and propagation under defined flow conditions. Blood 2002; 100: 2787–92., , , .
- 14Factor VIIa-mediated tenase function on activated platelets under flow. J Thromb Haemost 2004; 2: 1402–10., .
- 15Distinct antithrombotic consequences of platelet glycoprotein Ibalpha and VI deficiency in a mouse model of arterial thrombosis. J Thromb Haemost 2006; 4: 2014–21., , , , , .
- 16GPVI and alpha2beta1 play independent critical roles during platelet adhesion and aggregate formation to collagen under flow. Blood 2005; 106: 1268–77., , , , , .
- 17Rapid prototyping of microfluidic systems in poly(dimethylsiloxane). Anal Chem 1998; 70: 4974–84., , , .
- 18Active sealing for soft polymer microchips: method and practical applications. J Micromech Microeng 2006; 16: 708–14., , , , , , , , .
- 19A membrane-based microfluidic device for controlling the flux of platelet agonists into flowing blood. Lab Chip 2008; 8: 701–9., .
- 20The alpha(2) integrin subunit-deficient mouse: a multifaceted phenotype including defects of branching morphogenesis and hemostasis. Am J Pathol 2002; 161: 337–44., , , , .
- 21Viscous Fluid Flow. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Higher Education, 2006..
- 22Photoenhancement of platelet adhesion to biomaterial surfaces observed with epifluorescent video microscopy (EVM). J Biomed Mater Res 1991; 25: 1317–20., , .
- 23Aspects of hydrodynamic shear regulating shear-induced platelet activation and self-association of von Willebrand factor in suspension. Blood 2003; 101: 2637–45., , .
- 24Glycoprotein VI but not alpha2beta1 integrin is essential for platelet interaction with collagen. EMBO J 2001; 20: 2120–30., , , , , , , , , .
- 25Micropatterned surfaces for controlling cell adhesion and rolling under flow. Biomed Microdevices 2007; 9: 207–14., , .
- 26Prototype of an in vitro model of the microcirculation. Microvasc Res 2003; 65: 132–6., , , .
- 27Sickle cell vasoocclusion and rescue in a microfluidic device. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2007; 104: 20496–500., , , .
- 28Axial dependence of platelet–collagen interactions in flowing blood. Upstream thrombus growth impairs downstream platelet adhesion. Arteriosclerosis 1989; 9: 33–42., .
- 29Microfluidic devices for studies of shear-dependent platelet adhesion. Lab Chip 2008; 8: 1486–95., , , , , .
- 30Influence of fibrillar collagen structure on the mechanisms of platelet thrombus formation under flow. Blood 1999; 94: 2704–15., , .
- 31Matrix protein microarrays for spatially and compositionally controlled microspot thrombosis under laminar flow. Biophys J 2006; 91: 3474–81., .
- 32Modular chemical mechanism predicts spatiotemporal dynamics of initiation in the complex network of hemostasis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2006; 103: 15747–52., , , .
- 33Determination of surface tissue factor thresholds that trigger coagulation at venous and arterial shear rates: amplification of 100 fM circulating tissue factor requires flow. Blood 2008; 111: 3507–13., , , , .