Peak thrombin generation and subsequent venous thromboembolism: the Longitudinal Investigation of Thromboembolism Etiology (LITE) study
Article first published online: 28 JUL 2009
© 2009 International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis
Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis
Volume 7, Issue 10, pages 1639–1648, October 2009
How to Cite
LUTSEY, P. L., FOLSOM, A. R., HECKBERT, S. R. and CUSHMAN, M. (2009), Peak thrombin generation and subsequent venous thromboembolism: the Longitudinal Investigation of Thromboembolism Etiology (LITE) study. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 7: 1639–1648. doi: 10.1111/j.1538-7836.2009.03561.x
- Issue published online: 22 SEP 2009
- Article first published online: 28 JUL 2009
- Received 1 April 2009, accepted 8 July 2009
- 1The epidemiology of venous thromboembolism. Circulation 2003; 107: 4–8..
- 2Venous thromboembolism. In: HoffmanR, BenzeEJ, ShattilS, FurieB, CohenH, eds. Hematology: Basic Principles and Practices, 4th edn. London: Churchill Livingstone, 2004., .
- 3Thrombin formation. Chest 2003; 124: 4–10..
- 4A thrombin generation test; the application in haemophilia and thrombocytopenia. J Clin Pathol 1953; 6: 3–8., .
- 5A simple method of studying the generation of thrombin in recalcified plasma; application in the investigation of haemophilia. J Clin Pathol 1953; 6: 9–14., .
- 6Calibrated automated thrombin generation measurement in clotting plasma. Pathophysiol Haemost Thromb 2003; 33: 4–15., , , , , , , .
- 7Thrombin generation, a function test of the haemostatic–thrombotic system. Thromb Haemost 2006; 96: 553–61., , , .
- 8Identification of patients at low risk for recurrent venous thromboembolism by measuring thrombin generation. JAMA 2006; 296: 397–402., , , , .
- 9High thrombin generation measured in the presence of thrombomodulin is associated with an increased risk of recurrent venous thromboembolism. J Thromb Haemost 2008; 6: 1327–33., , , , , .
- 10Prediction of recurrent venous thromboembolism by endogenous thrombin potential and D-dimer. Clin Chem 2008; 54: 2042–8., , , .
- 11High rate of unprovoked recurrent venous thrombosis is associated with high thrombin-generating potential in a prospective cohort study. J Thromb Haemost 2008; 6: 1720–5., , , , .
- 12Elevated endogenous thrombin potential is associated with an increased risk of a first deep venous thrombosis but not with the risk of recurrence. Br J Haematol 2007; 138: 769–74., , , , , .
- 13The Aric Investigators. The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study: design and objectives. Am J Epidemiol 1989; 129: 687–702.
- 14Recruitment of adults 65 years and older as participants in the Cardiovascular Health Study. Ann Epidemiol 1993; 3: 358–66., , , , , .
- 15The Cardiovascular Health Study: design and rationale. Ann Epidemiol 1991; 1: 263–76., , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 16Deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism in two cohorts: the longitudinal investigation of thromboembolism etiology. Am J Med 2004; 117: 19–25., , , , , , .
- 17Laboratory methods and quality assurance in the Cardiovascular Health Study. Clin Chem 1995; 41: 264–70., , , , .
- 18ARIC hemostasis study – I. Development of a blood collection and processing system suitable for multicenter hemostatic studies. Thromb Haemost 1989; 61: 15–19., , , .
- 19ARIC hemostasis study – III. Quality control. Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities. Thromb Haemost 1993; 70: 588–94., , , , , , .
- 20Correlates of thrombin markers in an elderly cohort free of clinical cardiovascular disease. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 1996; 16: 1163–9., , , , , , .
- 21A prospective study of venous thromboembolism in relation to factor V Leiden and related factors. Blood 2002; 99: 2720–5., , , , , , , , .
- 22Prospective study of the G20210A polymorphism in the prothrombin gene, plasma prothrombin concentration, and incidence of venous thromboembolism. Am J Hematol 2002; 71: 285–90., , , , .
- 23ABO blood group, other risk factors and incidence of venous thromboembolism: the Longitudinal Investigation of Thromboembolism Etiology (LITE). J Thromb Haemost 2007; 5: 1455–61., , , , , , , .
- 24Synergism between smoking and vital exhaustion in the risk of ischemic stroke: evidence from the ARIC study. Ann Epidemiol 2004; 14: 416–24., , , .
- 25Confidence intervals for measures of interaction. Epidemiology 1996; 7: 286–90., , , .
- 26Coagulation factors and the protein C system as determinants of thrombin generation in a normal population. J Thromb Haemost 2008; 6: 125–31., , , , , , .
- 27Age-dependency of thrombin generation measured by means of calibrated automated thrombography (CAT). Thromb Haemost 2006; 95: 772–5., , , , .
- 28Thrombin generation in first-degree relatives of patients with venous thromboembolism who have factor V Leiden. A pilot study. Thromb Haemost 2008; 99: 223–8., , , , , .
- 29Phenotyping the clotting system. Thromb Haemost 2000; 84: 747–51., .
- 30Influence of coagulation factors and tissue factor concentration on the thrombin generation test in plasma. Thromb Haemost 2008; 99: 767–73., , , , .
- 31Plasma coagulation factor levels in venous thrombosis. Semin Hematol 2007; 44: 77–84., , .
- 32Levels of coagulation factors and venous thromboembolism. Haematologica 2003; 88: 705–11..
- 33Coagulation factors, inflammation markers, and venous thromboembolism: the longitudinal investigation of thromboembolism etiology (LITE). Am J Med 2002; 113: 636–42., , , , , , .
- 34High plasma levels of factor VIII and the risk of recurrent venous thromboembolism. N Engl J Med 2000; 343: 457–62., , , , , , , , , .
- 35D-dimer as a risk factor for deep vein thrombosis: the Leiden Thrombophilia Study. Thromb Haemost 2002; 87: 47–51., , .
- 36Thrombotic variables and risk of idiopathic venous thromboembolism in women aged 45–64 years. Relationships to hormone replacement therapy. Thromb Haemost 2000; 83: 530–5., , , , , .
- 37Risk of venous thromboembolism recurrence: high negative predictive value of D-dimer performed after oral anticoagulation is stopped. Thromb Haemost 2002; 87: 7–12., , , , , .
- 38Fibrin fragment D-dimer and the risk of future venous thrombosis. Blood 2003; 101: 1243–8., , , , , , .
- 39The measurement and application of thrombin generation. Br J Haematol 2005; 130: 653–61..
- 40Effect of standardization and normalization on imprecision of calibrated automated thrombography: an international multicentre study. Br J Haematol 2007; 139: 303–9., , , , , , , , , , .
- 41Economic issues in the treatment and prevention of deep vein thrombosis from a managed care perspective. Am J Manag Care 2001; 7: S535–8..