Evaluation of lyophilized platelets as an infusible hemostatic agent in experimental non-compressible hemorrhage in swine
Version of Record online: 28 JUL 2009
© 2009 International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis
Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis
Volume 7, Issue 10, pages 1663–1671, October 2009
How to Cite
HAWKSWORTH, J. S., ELSTER, E. A., FRYER, D., SHEPPARD, F., MORTHOLE, V., KRISHNAMURTHY, G., TOMORI, T., BROWN, T. S. and TADAKI, D. K. (2009), Evaluation of lyophilized platelets as an infusible hemostatic agent in experimental non-compressible hemorrhage in swine. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 7: 1663–1671. doi: 10.1111/j.1538-7836.2009.03562.x
- Issue online: 22 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 JUL 2009
- Received 4 March 2009, accepted 18 July 2009
- 1Epidemiology of trauma deaths: a reassessment. J Trauma 1995; 38: 185–93., , , , , , .
- 2Preventable trauma deaths. A review of trauma care systems development. JAMA 1985; 254: 1059–63., .
- 3Epidemiology of trauma: military experience. Ann Emerg Med 1986; 15: 1384–8., , .
- 4Injury severity and causes of death from Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom: 2003–2004 versus 2006. J Trauma 2008; 64: S21–6; discussion S26–7., , , , , , , , , , .
- 5Causes of death in U.S. Special Operations Forces in the global war on terrorism: 2001–2004. Ann Surg 2007; 245: 986–91., , , , , , , , , , .
- 6Recombinant factor VIIa as adjunctive therapy for bleeding control in severely injured trauma patients: two parallel randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind clinical trials. J Trauma 2005; 59: 8–15; discussion 15–18., , , , , , , .
- 7Off-label use of recombinant factor VIIa for treatment of haemorrhage: results from randomized clinical trials. Vox Sang 2008; 95: 1–7..
- 8Prevention and treatment of major blood loss. N Engl J Med 2007; 356: 2301–11., .
- 9Antifibrinolytic Drugs for Acute Traumatic Injury (Cochrane Review). Chichester, UK: Wiley, 2004., , .
- 10Lyophilized platelets: fifty years in the making. Artif Cells Blood Substit Immobil Biotechnol 2007; 35: 125–33., .
- 11Procedure and apparatus for preservation in ‘Lyophile’ form of serum and other biological substances. J Immunol 1935; 29: 389–425., .
- 12Preservation of hemostatic and structural properties of rehydrated lyophilized platelets: potential for long-term storage of dried platelets for transfusion. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1995; 92: 397–401., , , , , , , , , .
- 13Platelet storage: efforts to extend the shelf life of platelet concentrates. Mol Med Today 1995; 1: 322–8., .
- 14Intracellular function in rehydrated lyophilized platelets. Br J Haematol 2000; 111: 167–74., , , , , , , .
- 15Activation and adherence of lyophilized human platelets on canine vessel strips in the Baumgartner perfusion chamber. J Lab Clin Med 1999; 133: 200–11., , .
- 16Rehydrated lyophilized platelets: a proposed mechanism contributing to the hemostatic action. Blood 1995; 86: 907a., , , , , , , .
- 17Coagulation patterns following haemoglobin-based oxygen carrier resuscitation in severe uncontrolled haemorrhagic shock in swine. Transfus Med 2006; 16: 290–302., , , , , , , , .
- 18Preservation of platelet receptors for platelet aggregating factor/von Willebrand factor by air drying, freezing, or lyophilization: new stable platelet preparations for von Willebrand factor assays. Thromb Res 1978; 13: 591–7., .
- 19Bacterial contamination of blood components. Clin Microbiol Rev 2005; 18: 195–204., .
- 20Lyophilized platelets: continued development. Transfus Sci 2000; 22: 99–105., .
- 21Hemostatic and signaling functions of transfused platelets. Transfus Med Rev 2007; 21: 287–94., , , , .
- 22Triggers, targets and treatments for thrombosis. Nature 2008; 451: 914–18..
- 23Adhesion mechanisms in platelet function. Circ Res 2007; 100: 1673–85., .
- 24Human blood platelet adhesion to artery subendothelium is mediated by factor VIII–Von Willebrand factor bound to the subendothelium. Nature 1979; 279: 636–8., , .
- 25The growing complexity of platelet aggregation. Blood 2007; 109: 5087–95..
- 26Specific synergy of multiple substrate–receptor interactions in platelet thrombus formation under flow. Cell 1998; 94: 657–66., , .
- 27Distinct mechanisms of platelet aggregation as a consequence of different shearing flow conditions. J Clin Invest 1998; 101: 479–86., , , .
- 28Fibrinogen binding to rehydrated lyophilized platelet surface GPIIbIIIa: normal clot formation and TPA lysis. Blood 1996; 88: 30a., , , , .
- 29Thrombus formation with rehydrated, lyophilized platelets. Hematology 2002; 7: 359–69., , , , , , , , .
- 30Primary and secondary hemostatic functionalities of rehydrated, lyophilized platelets. Transfusion 2006; 46: 1943–50., , , , , , .
- 31Resuscitation with normal saline (NS) vs. lactated Ringers (LR) modulates hypercoagulability and leads to increased blood loss in an uncontrolled hemorrhagic shock swine model. J Trauma 2006; 61: 57–64; discussion 64–5., , , , , , , , , , .
- 32Effect of critical injury on plasma antithrombin activity: low antithrombin levels are associated with thromboembolic complications. J Trauma 1996; 41: 396–405. ., , , , .
- 33Hypercoagulability following multiple trauma. World J Surg 1996; 20: 5–10., , , , .
- 34Hemostatic properties of human lyophilized platelets in a thrombocytopenic rabbit model and a simulated bleeding time device. Blood 1994; 84: 464a., , , .
- 35Survival of baboon biotin-X-N-hydroxysuccinimide and (111)In-oxine-labelled autologous fresh and lyophilized reconstituted platelets. Vox Sang 2005; 88: 122–9., , , , , .
- 36Barriers to xenotransplantation. Nat Med 1995; 1: 869–73., , , , , , .
- 37Interaction of porcine von Willebrand factor with the platelet glycoproteins Ib and IIb/IIIa complex. Br J Haematol 1992; 82: 81–6., , , .
- 38Porcine von Willebrand factor binding to human platelet GPIb induces transmembrane calcium influx. Thromb Haemost 1996; 75: 655–60., , , , .
- 39O-linked glycosylation and functional incompatibility of porcine von Willebrand factor for human platelet GPIb receptors. Xenotransplantation 2005; 12: 30–7., , , , .
- 40The role of the porcine von Willebrand factor: baboon platelet interactions in pulmonary xenotransplantation. Transplantation 2002; 74: 1596–603., , , , , .
- 41Thrombelastography/thromboelastometry. Clin Lab Haematol 2005; 27: 81–90..