Warfarin use and the risk of valvular calcification
Version of Record online: 28 SEP 2009
© 2009 International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis
Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis
Volume 7, Issue 12, pages 2023–2027, December 2009
How to Cite
LERNER, R. G., ARONOW, W. S., SEKHRI, A., PALANISWAMY, C., AHN, C., SINGH, T., SANDHU, R. and McCLUNG, J. A. (2009), Warfarin use and the risk of valvular calcification. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 7: 2023–2027. doi: 10.1111/j.1538-7836.2009.03630.x
- Issue online: 23 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 SEP 2009
- Received 22 June 2009, accepted 18 September 2009
- 1Congenital malformations associated with the administration of oral anticoagulants during pregnancy. J Pediatr 1975; 86: 459–62., .
- 2Severe cervical dysplasia and nasal cartilage calcification following prenatal warfarin exposure. Am J Med Genet 1997; 71: 391–6., , , , .
- 3Spontaneous calcification of arteries and cartilage in mice lacking matrix GLA protein. Nature 1997; 385: 78–81., , , , , , .
- 4Warfarin causes rapid calcification of the elastic lamellae in rat arteries and heart valves. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 1998; 18: 1400–7., , .
- 5Warfarin-induced artery calcification is accelerated by growth and Vitamin D. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2000; 20: 317–27., , .
- 6Matrix Gla protein (MGP) and bone morphogenetic protein-2 in aortic calcified lesions of aging rats. J Thromb Haemost 2003; 1: 178–85., , , .
- 7Cutaneous necrosis from calcific uremic arteriolopathy. Am J Kidney Dis 1998; 32: 514–8., , , , , , .
- 8Vascular and valvar calcification: recent advances. Heart 2001; 85: 13–7., , , .
- 9Matrix Gla protein accumulates at the border of regions of calcification and normal tissue in the media of the arterial vessel wall. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2001; 289: 485–90., , , , , , .
- 10Oral anticoagulant treatment: friend or foe in cardiovascular disease? Blood 2004; 104: 3231–2., , , , .
- 11Long-term warfarin treatment may induce arterial calcification in humans: case report. Clin Invest Med 2004; 27: 107–9., .
- 12Relation of oral anticoagulation to cardiac valvular and coronary calcium assessed by multislice spiral computed tomography. Am J Cardiol 2005; 96: 747–9., , , , , , .
- 13Warfarin and aortic valve calcification in hemodialysis patients. J Nephrol 2007; 20: 417–22., , , , , .
- 14A high menaquinone intake reduces the incidence of coronary heart disease. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 2009; 19: 504–10., , , , , , , , , .
- 15Matrix Gla-protein: the calcification inhibitor in need of vitamin K. Thromb Haemost 2008; 100: 593–603., , .
- 16High dietary menaquinone intake is associated with reduced coronary calcification. Atherosclerosis 2009; 203: 489–93., , , , , , , , .
- 17The circulating inactive form of matrix Gla protein (ucMGP) as a biomarker for cardiovascular calcification. J Vasc Res 2008; 45: 427–36., , , , , , , , , .
- 18Tissue-specific utilization of menaquinone-4 results in the prevention of arterial calcification in warfarin-treated rats. J Vasc Res 2003; 40: 531–7., , , , , .
- 19Effects of the blood coagulation vitamin K as an inhibitor of arterial calcification. Thromb Res 2008; 122: 411–7., , .
- 20Vitamin K epoxide reductase complex subunit 1 (VKORC1) polymorphism and aortic calcification: the Rotterdam Study. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2008; 28: 771–6., , , , , , , .
- 21Beneficial effects of Vitamin D and K on the elastic properties of the vessel wall in postmenopausal women: a follow-up study. Thromb Haemost 2004; 91: 373–80., , , , , .
- 22Dietary intake of menaquinone is associated with a reduced risk of coronary heart disease: the Rotterdam Study. J Nutr 2004; 134: 3100–5., , , , , , , .