Effects of inhalable particulate matter on blood coagulation
Article first published online: 17 NOV 2009
© 2009 International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis
Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis
Volume 8, Issue 4, pages 662–668, April 2010
How to Cite
BONZINI, M., TRIPODI, A., ARTONI, A., TARANTINI, L., MARINELLI, B., BERTAZZI, P. A., APOSTOLI, P. and BACCARELLI, A. (2010), Effects of inhalable particulate matter on blood coagulation. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 8: 662–668. doi: 10.1111/j.1538-7836.2009.03694.x
- Issue published online: 23 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 17 NOV 2009
- Received 25 June 2009, accepted 12 November 2009
- 1An association between air pollution and mortality in six US cities. N Engl J Med 1993; 329: 1753–9., , , , , , , .
- 2Exposure to particulate air pollution and risk of deep vein thrombosis. Arch Intern Med 2008; 168: 920–7., , , , , , , .
- 3Air pollution and cardiovascular disease: a statement for healthcare professionals from the Expert Panel on Population and Prevention Science of the American Heart Association. Circulation 2004; 109: 2655–71., , , , , , , , , , .
- 4Air pollution as noxious environmental factor in the development of cardiovascular disease. Neth J Med 2009; 67: 116–21., , , , .
- 5Cardiovascular and thermoregulatory effects of inhaled PM-associated transition metals: a potential interaction between nickel and vanadium sulfate. J Toxicol Sci 2001; 64: 243–52., , , , , , .
- 6Ambient air pollution and acute myocardial infarction. J Thromb Haemost 2005; 3: 1955–61., , , .
- 7Particulate air pollution and acute health effects. Lancet 1995; 345: 176–8., , , .
- 8Association of criteria pollutants with plasma hemostatic/inflammatory markers: a population-based study. J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol 2005; 15: 319–28., , , , , , .
- 9Air pollution and blood markers of cardiovascular risk. Environ Health Perspect 2001; 109 (Suppl. 3): 405–9..
- 10Exposure to concentrated ambient air particles alters hematologic indices in humans. Inhal Toxicol 2003; 15: 1465–78., , , , .
- 11Effects of exposure to air pollution on blood coagulation. J Thromb Haemost 2007; 5: 252–60., , , , , , , , , , .
- 12Ambient particulate matter accelerates coagulation via an IL-6-dependent pathway. J Clin Invest 2007; 117: 2952–61., , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 13Air pollution and markers of inflammation and coagulation in patients with coronary heart disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2006; 173: 432–41., , , , , , , , , , .
- 14Effects of exposure to ultrafine carbon particles in healthy subjects and subjects with asthma. Res Rep Health Eff Inst 2004; 126: 1–47; discussion 9–63., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 15Road tunnel air pollution induces bronchoalveolar inflammation in healthy subjects. Eur Respir J 2007; 29: 699–705., , , , , , , , .
- 16Exposure to ambient concentrations of particulate air pollution does not influence vascular function or inflammatory pathways in young healthy individuals. Part Fibre Toxicol 2008; 5: 13–21., , , , , , , , .
- 17Tissue factor: (patho)physiology and cellular biology. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 2004; 15: 521–38., .
- 18Hemostatic properties of normal and perturbed vascular cells. FASEB J 1988; 2: 116–23..
- 19The endogenous thrombin potential and high levels of coagulation factor VIII, factor IX and factor XI. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 2004; 15: 241–4., , , , , .
- 20Calibrated automated thrombin generation measurement in clotting plasma. Pathophysiol Haemost Thromb 2003; 33: 4–15., , , , , , , .
- 21Randomized trial of different regimens of heparins and in vivo thrombin generation in acute deep vein thrombosis. Blood 2002; 99: 1965–70., , , , , , .
- 22The routine determination of the endogenous thrombin potential, first results in different forms of hyper- and hypocoagulability. Thromb Haemost 1997; 77: 629–36., , , , , , , , .
- 23The endogenous thrombin potential and the risk of venous thromboembolism. Thromb Res 2007; 121: 353–9., , , , , .
- 24Mortality of iron foundry workers: I. Overall findings. J Occup Med 1990; 32: 529–40., , , .
- 25Linkage of the US National Health Interview Survey to air monitoring data: an evaluation of different strategies. Environ Res 2008; 106: 384–92., , , .
- 26Thrombin generation assessed as endogenous thrombin potential in patients with hyper- or hypo-coagulability. Haematologica 2003; 88: 547–54., , , , .
- 27Effects of particulate matter on genomic DNA methylation content and iNOS promoter methylation. Environ Health Perspect 2009; 117: 217–22., , , , , , , , , , , .
- 28Living near major traffic roads and risk of deep vein thrombosis. Circulation 2009; 119: 3118–24., , , , , , , , , .
- 29Cell-derived microparticles in haemostasis and vascular medicine. Thromb Haemost 2009; 101: 439–51., , , .
- 30Progress in the understanding of the protein C anticoagulant pathway. Int J Hematol 2004; 79: 109–16..
- 31Thrombin generation in first-degree relatives of patients with venous thromboembolism who have factor V Leiden. A pilot study. Thromb Haemost 2008; 99: 223–8., , , , , .
- 32Tissue plasminogen activator (tPA) antigen in plasma: correlation with different tPA/inhibitor complexes. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 1998; 58: 475–83., .
- 33Rapporto sulla qualità dell’aria di Brescia e provincia [in Italian]. Milan: ARPA Lombardia, 2006., .
- 34Bias in occupational epidemiology studies. Occup Environ Med 2007; 64: 562–8., , .
- 35Foundries. In: StellmanJM, ed. Encyclopedia of Occupational Health and Safety. Geneva: International Labor Office, 1998: 821–56..
- 36Carbon monoxide exposure in blast furnace workers. Aust J Public Health 1992; 16: 262–8., , .
- 37The health of the workers in a rapidly developing country: effects of occupational exposure to noise and heat. Occup Med (Lond) 2002; 52: 121–8., , .