Which platelet function test is suitable to monitor clopidogrel responsiveness? A pharmacokinetic analysis on the active metabolite of clopidogrel
Article first published online: 21 DEC 2009
© 2009 International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis
Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis
Volume 8, Issue 3, pages 482–488, March 2010
How to Cite
BOUMAN, H. J., PARLAK, E., VAN WERKUM, J. W., BREET, N. J., TEN CATE, H., HACKENG, C. M., TEN BERG, J. M. and TAUBERT, D. (2010), Which platelet function test is suitable to monitor clopidogrel responsiveness? A pharmacokinetic analysis on the active metabolite of clopidogrel. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 8: 482–488. doi: 10.1111/j.1538-7836.2009.03733.x
- Issue published online: 11 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 21 DEC 2009
- Received 15 October 2009, accepted 16 December 2009
- 1Identification and biological activity of the active metabolite of clopidogrel. Thromb Haemost 2000; 84: 891–6., , , , , , , .
- 2Identification of the platelet ADP receptor targeted by antithrombotic drugs. Nature 2001; 409: 202–7., , , , , , , , , , .
- 3Variability in platelet responsiveness to clopidogrel among 544 individuals. J Am Coll Cardiol 2005; 45: 246–51., , , , , .
- 4Cytochrome p-450 polymorphisms and response to clopidogrel. N Engl J Med 2009; 360: 354–62., , , , , , , , , , .
- 5Prognostic significance of post-clopidogrel platelet reactivity assessed by a point-of-care assay on thrombotic events after drug-eluting stent implantation. Eur Heart J 2008; 29: 992–1000., , , , , , , , , .
- 6Cardiovascular death and nonfatal myocardial infarction in acute coronary syndrome patients receiving coronary stenting are predicted by residual platelet reactivity to ADP detected by a point-of-care assay: a 12-month follow-up. Circulation 2009; 119: 237–42., , , , , , , , , .
- 7Impact of platelet reactivity after clopidogrel administration on drug-eluting stent thrombosis. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007; 49: 2312–7., , , , , , , , , .
- 8Platelet reactivity after clopidogrel treatment assessed with point-of-care analysis and early drug-eluting stent thrombosis. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009; 53: 849–56., , , , , , , .
- 9Low response to clopidogrel is associated with cardiovascular outcome after coronary stent implantation. Eur Heart J 2006; 27: 2420–5., , , , , , , , .
- 10Adjusted clopidogrel loading doses according to vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein phosphorylation index decrease rate of major adverse cardiovascular events in patients with clopidogrel resistance: a multicenter randomized prospective study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; 51: 1404–11., , , , , , , , , .
- 11Effects of diabetes mellitus on platelet reactivity after dual antiplatelet therapy with aspirin and clopidogrel. Thromb Haemost 2008; 99: 637–9., , , , , , .
- 12Monitoring antiplatelet therapy with point-of-care platelet function assays: a review of the evidence. Future Cardiol 2008; 8: 33–55., , , , , .
- 13Quantitative determination of clopidogrel active metabolite in human plasma by LC-MS/MS. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2008; 48: 1219–24., , , , .
- 14Pharmacokinetics of clopidogrel in patients with stent thrombosis. J Thromb Haemost 2008; 6: 1230–2., , , , .
- 15Evaluation of the platelet response to clopidogrel with light transmittance aggregometry: peak aggregation or late aggregation? J Thromb Haemost 2007; 5: 884–6., , , , .
- 16Dependence of platelet thrombus stability on sustained glycoprotein IIb/IIIa activation through adenosine 5′-diphosphate receptor stimulation and cyclic calcium signaling. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006; 47: 155–62., , , .
- 17Determination of Clopidogrel Resistance by Whole Blood Platelet Aggregometry and Inhibitors of the P2Y12 Receptor. Clin Chem 2006; 52: 383–8., , , , , .
- 18Variable responsiveness to clopidogrel and aspirin among patients with acute coronary syndrome as assessed by platelet function tests. Thromb Res 2008; 122: 336–45., , , , , , , .
- 19A head-to-head comparison between the VerifyNowP2Y12-assay and light transmittance aggregometry for monitoring the individual platelet response to clopidogrel in patients undergoing elective PCI. J Thromb Haemost 2006; 4: 2516–8., , , , .
- 20Pharmacokinetics of clopidogrel after administration of a high loading dose. Thromb Haemost 2004; 92: 311–6., , , , , , , .
- 212005 Writing Committee Members, , , , , , , , , , , , , et al. 2007 Focused Update of the ACC/AHA/SCAI 2005 Guideline Update for Percutaneous Coronary Intervention: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines: 2007 Writing Group to Review New Evidence and Update the ACC/AHA/SCAI 2005 Guideline Update for Percutaneous Coronary Intervention, Writing on Behalf of the 2005 Writing CommitteeCirculation 2008; 117: 261–95., , , , , ;
- 22Validation of a VerifyNow-P2Y12 cartridge for monitoring platelet inhibition with clopidogrel. Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 2006; 28: 315–22., , , , .
- 23The flow cytometric VASP assay can be used to determine the effectiveness of clopidogrel in patients treated with abciximab. J Thromb Haemost 2007; 5: 881–3., , , , .
- 24High stability of blood samples for flow cytometric analysis of VASP phosphorylation to measure the clopidogrel responsiveness in patients with coronary artery disease. Thromb Haemost 2005; 94: 886–7., , , , .
- 25Clopidogrel for coronary stenting: response variability, drug resistance, and the effect of pretreatment platelet reactivity. Circulation 2003; 107: 2908–13., , , .
- 26Evidence that pre-existent variability in platelet response to ADP accounts for “clopidogrel resistance”. J Thromb Haemost 2007; 5: 75–81., , , , , , , , .