Thrombin generation-based assays to measure the activity of the TFPI–protein S pathway in plasma from normal and protein S-deficient individuals
Version of Record online: 17 JAN 2010
© 2010 International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis
Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis
Volume 8, Issue 4, pages 750–758, April 2010
How to Cite
MAURISSEN, L. F. A., CASTOLDI, E., SIMIONI, P., ROSING, J. and HACKENG, T. M. (2010), Thrombin generation-based assays to measure the activity of the TFPI–protein S pathway in plasma from normal and protein S-deficient individuals. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 8: 750–758. doi: 10.1111/j.1538-7836.2010.03743.x
- Issue online: 23 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 17 JAN 2010
- Received 22 August 2009, accepted 4 January 2010
- 1Characterization of protein S, a gamma-carboxyglutamic acid containing protein from bovine and human plasma. Biochemistry 1979; 18: 899–904., .
- 2Regulation of activated protein C by a new protein. A possible function for bovine protein S. J Biol Chem 1980; 255: 5521–4..
- 3Inactivation of human factor VIII by activated protein C. Cofactor activity of protein S and protective effect of von Willebrand factor. J Clin Invest 1988; 82: 1236–43., , , .
- 4Binding of protein S to factor Va associated with inhibition of prothrombinase that is independent of activated protein C. J Biol Chem 1993; 268: 2872–7., , , , .
- 5Human protein S inhibits prothrombinase complex activity on endothelial cells and platelets via direct interactions with factors Va and Xa. J Biol Chem 1994; 269: 21051–8., , , .
- 6Purified protein S contains multimeric forms with increased APC-independent anticoagulant activity. Biochemistry 2001; 40: 8852–60., , , , , .
- 7Effect of oral contraceptives on the anticoagulant activity of protein S in plasma. Thromb Haemost 2005; 93: 853–9., , , , , .
- 8Inhibition of thrombin generation by protein S at low procoagulant stimuli: implications for maintenance of the hemostatic balance. Blood 2004; 104: 3624–30., , .
- 9Protein S stimulates inhibition of the tissue factor pathway by tissue factor pathway inhibitor. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2006; 103: 3106–11., , , .
- 10Protein S enhances the tissue factor pathway inhibitor inhibition of factor Xa but not its inhibition of factor VIIa–tissue factor. J Thromb Haemost 2008; 6: 1044–6., .
- 11Regulation of coagulation by protein S. Curr Opin Hematol 2008; 15: 529–36., .
- 12Regulation of TFPI function by protein S. J Thromb Haemost 2009; 7(Suppl. 1): 165–8., , , .
- 13Protein S as cofactor for TFPI. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2009; 29: 2015–20., .
- 14Plasma antigen levels of the lipoprotein-associated coagulation inhibitor in patient samples. Blood 1991; 78: 387–93., , , , .
- 15Purification and characterization of the lipoprotein-associated coagulation inhibitor from human plasma. J Biol Chem 1989; 264: 18832–7., , , .
- 16Heterogeneity of plasma tissue factor pathway inhibitor. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 1994; 5: 551–9., , , .
- 17Functional significance of the Kunitz-type inhibitory domains of lipoprotein-associated coagulation inhibitor. Nature 1989; 338: 518–20., , , , , , .
- 18Plasma protein S deficiency in familial thrombotic disease. Blood 1984; 64: 1297–300., , , , .
- 19Low levels of tissue factor pathway inhibitor (TFPI) increase the risk of venous thrombosis. Blood 2003; 101: 4387–92., , , , , .
- 20The C-terminus of tissue factor pathway inhibitor is essential to its anticoagulant activity. Biochemistry 1991; 30: 10371–6., , , , , , .
- 21Tissue factor pathway inhibitor: the carboxy-terminus is required for optimal inhibition of factor Xa. Blood 1992; 79: 2004–10., , , , .
- 22The calibrated automated thrombogram (CAT): a universal routine test for hyper- and hypocoagulability. Pathophysiol Haemost Thromb 2002; 32: 249–53., , , , , , , .
- 23Influ-ence of coagulation factors and tissue factor concentration on the throm-bin generation test in plasma. Thromb Haemost 2008; 99: 767–73., , , , .
- 24A new sensitive chromogenic substrate assay of tissue factor pathway inhibitor type 1. Thromb Res 2000; 97: 463–72., , .
- 25In situ neutralization in Boc-chemistry solid phase peptide synthesis. Rapid, high yield assembly of difficult sequences. Int J Pept Protein Res 1992; 40: 180–93., , , , .
- 26Citrate anticoagulation and the dynamics of thrombin generation. J Thromb Haemost 2007; 5: 2055–61., , , .
- 27The association between protein S levels and anticoagulant activity of tissue factor pathway inhibitor type 1. J Thromb Haemost 2008; 6: 393–5., , .
- 28Hereditary and acquired protein S deficiencies are associated with low TFPI levels in plasma. J Thromb Haemost 2010; 8: 294–300., , , , .
- 29Genetic analysis, phenotypic diagnosis, and risk of venous thrombosis in families with inherited deficiencies of protein S. Blood 2000; 95: 1935–41., , , , , , , , , .