Air pollution and hospitalization for venous thromboembolic disease in Chile
Article first published online: 20 JAN 2010
© 2010 International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis
Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis
Volume 8, Issue 4, pages 669–674, April 2010
How to Cite
DALES, R. E., CAKMAK, S. and VIDAL, C. B. (2010), Air pollution and hospitalization for venous thromboembolic disease in Chile. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 8: 669–674. doi: 10.1111/j.1538-7836.2010.03760.x
- Issue published online: 23 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 20 JAN 2010
- Received 21 October 2009, accepted 12 January 2010
- 1An update on hypercoagulable disorders. Arch Intern Med 2001; 161: 1051–6., .
- 2Epidemiology of pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis. TuddenhamEGD, BloomAL, ForbesCD, ThomasDP (Eds). Haemostasis and Thrombosis. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 1994: 1327–33..
- 3Venous thromboembolism. Br Med J 2006; 332: 215–9., .
- 4Incidence of venous thromboembolism: a community-based study in western France. EPI-GETBP Study Group. Groupe d’Etude de la Thrombose de Bretagne Occidentale. Thromb Haemost 2000; 83: 657–60..
- 5A prospective study of the incidence of deep-vein thrombosis within a defined urban population. J Intern Med 2009; 232: 155–60., , , .
- 6Incidence and mortality of venous thrombosis: a population-based study. Thromb Haemost 2007; 5: 692–7., , , , , .
- 7The epidemiology of venous thromboembolism. Circulation 2003; 107: I4–8..
- 8Risk factors for venous thromboembolism. Circulation 2003; 107: I9–16, .
- 9Air pollution and cardiovascular disease: a statement for Healthcare Professionals from the Expert Panel on Population and Prevention Science of the American Heart Association. Circulation 2004; 109: 2655–71, , , , , , , , , , .
- 10Exposure to particulate air pollution and risk of deep vein thrombosis. Arch Intern Med 2008; 168: 920–7, , , , , , , .
- 11Living near major traffic roads and risk of deep vein thrombosis. Circulation 2009; 119: 3118–24, , , , , .
- 12Source apportionment of PM10 and PM 25 in five Chilean cities using factor analysis. J Air Waste Manage Assoc 2001; 51: 451–64, , .
- 13Nonlinear mixed effects models for repeated measures data. Biometrics 1990; 46: 673–87, .
- 14Spectral Analysis of Time Series. San Diego: Academic Press, 1981.
- 15Generalized additive distributed lag models: quantifying mortality displacement. Biostatistics 2000; 1: 279–92, , .
- 16Exposure measurement error in time series studies of air pollution: concepts and consequences. Environ Health Perspect 2000; 108: 419–26, , , , , , .
- 17Measurements of children’s exposures to particles and nitrogen dioxide in Santiago, Chile. Sci Total Environ 2002; 287: 249–64, , , .
- 18The health relevance of ambient particulate matter characteristics: coherence of toxicologic and epidemiologic. Inhal Toxicol 2006; 18: 95–125, , , , .
- 19Ambient particulate matter accelerates coagulation via an IL-6-dependent pathway. J Clin Invest 2007; 117: 2952–61, , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 20Possible mechanisms of the cardiovascular effects of inhaled particles: Systemic trans-location and prothrombotic effects. Toxicol Lett 2004; 149: 243–53, , , .
- 21Pharmacological stabilization of mast cells abrogates late thrombotic events induced by diesel exhaust particles in hamsters. Circulation. 2004; 110: 1670–7, , , ,
- 22Air pollution and thrombosis: an experimental approach. Pathophysiol Haemost Thromb. 2002; 32: 349–50, , ,
- 23Diesel exhaust inhalation increases thrombus formation in man. Eur Heart J 2008; 29: 3043–51, , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 24Platelet activation, up regulation of CD11b/CD18 expression on leukocytes and increase in circulating leukocyte-platelet aggregates in Indian women chronically exposed to biomass smoke. Hum Exp Toxicol 2006; 25: 627–35, , , , , , , .
- 25Adverse cardiovascular effects of air pollution. Nat Clin Pract Cardiovasc Med 2009; 6: 36–44, , , , , , , , .
- 26Air pollution and atherothrombosis. Inhal Toxicol 2007; 19: 81–9, , , , , , , , .
- 27Effects of particulate air pollution on hemostasis. Clin Occup Environ Med 2006; 5: 865–81, , .
- 28Environmental cardiology: studying mechanistic links between pollution and heart disease. Circ Res 2006; 99: 692–705.
- 29Potential role of ultrafine particles in association between airborne particle mass and cardiovascular health. Environ Health Perspect 2005; 113: 934–46, , .