Thrombin generation in morbid obesity: significant reduction after weight loss
Version of Record online: 21 JAN 2010
© 2010 International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis
Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis
Volume 8, Issue 4, pages 759–765, April 2010
How to Cite
AY, L., KOPP, H.-P., BRIX, J.-M., AY, C., QUEHENBERGER, P., SCHERNTHANER, G.-H., PABINGER, I. and SCHERNTHANER, G. (2010), Thrombin generation in morbid obesity: significant reduction after weight loss. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 8: 759–765. doi: 10.1111/j.1538-7836.2010.03766.x
- Issue online: 23 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 21 JAN 2010
- Received 18 September 2009, accepted 11 January 2010
- 1Overweight and obesity as determinants of cardiovascular risk: the Framingham experience. Arch Intern Med 2002; 162: 1867–72., , , , .
- 2Overweight, obesity, and mortality in a large prospective cohort of persons 50 to 71 years old. N Engl J Med 2006; 355: 763–78., , , , , , , .
- 3Risk factors for pulmonary embolism. The Framingham Study. Am J Med 1983; 74: 1023–8., , , , , , , .
- 4The effect of age on the association between body-mass index and mortality. N Engl J Med 1998; 338: 1–7., , , , , .
- 5Body-mass index and mortality in a prospective cohort of U.S. adults. N Engl J Med 1999; 341: 1097–105., , , , .
- 6Laparoscopic gastric banding prevents type 2 diabetes and arterial hypertension and induces their remission in morbid obesity: a 4-year case-controlled study. Diabetes Care 2005; 28: 2703–9., , , , , , , , , .
- 7Impact of weight loss on inflammatory proteins and their association with the insulin resistance syndrome in morbidly obese patients. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2003; 23: 1042–7., , , , , , .
- 8Swedish Obese Subjects Study. Effects of bariatric surgery on mortality in Swedish obese subjects. N Engl J Med 2007; 357: 741–52., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 9Obesity and thrombosis. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2007; 33: 223–33., , , , .
- 10Venous thromboembolism – a manifestation of the metabolic syndrome. Haematologica 2007; 92: 374–80., , , , , , .
- 11The metabolic syndrome and the risk of venous thrombosis: a case-control study. J Thromb Haemost 2006; 4: 1914–8., , , , , , , .
- 12Weight loss reduces tissue factor in morbidly obese patients. Obes Res 2003; 11: 950–6., , , , , , , , .
- 13Effects of changes in body weight and insulin resistance on inflammation and endothelial function in morbid obesity after bariatric surgery. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005; 90: 316–22., , , , , , .
- 14Activated protein C levels in obesity and weight loss influence. Thromb Res 2009; 123: 697–700., , , , , , .
- 15Plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 levels in severe and morbid obesity. Effect of weight loss and influence of 4G/5G polymorphism. Thromb Res 2008; 122: 320–7., , , , , , , .
- 16Thrombin generation testing in routine clinical practice: are we there yet? Br J Haematol 2008; 142: 889–903., , .
- 17Biomarkers and venous thromboembolism. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2009; 29: 332–6., .
- 18Gastric bypass. Ann Surg 1969; 170: 329–39., .
- 19Silicone gastric banding: a simple and effective operation for morbid obesity. Contemp Surg 1986; 28: 13–8..
- 20Dietary changes after vertical banded gastroplasty. Obes Surg 2000; 10: 37–40., , , , .
- 21American Diabetes Association: clinical practice recommendations 2002. Diabetes Care 2002; 25(Suppl 1): S1–147.
- 22Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and beta-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man. Diabetologia 1985; 28: 412–9., , , , , .
- 23Prevalence of conventional risk factors in patients with coronary heart disease. JAMA 2003; 290: 898–904., , , , , , , , .
- 24Circulating tissue factor procoagulant activity and thrombin generation in patients with type 2 diabetes: effects of insulin and glucose. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2007; 92: 4352–8., , , , .
- 25Increased thrombin generation after acute versus chronic coronary disease as assessed by the thrombin generation test. Thromb Haemost 2008; 99: 382–7., , , , , , .
- 26Thrombin generation in severely obese children. J Thromb Haemost 2006; 4: 1834–6., , , , .
- 27Corn trypsin inhibitor in fluorogenic thrombin-generation measurements is only necessary at low tissue factor concentrations and influences the relationship between factor VIII coagulant activity and thrombogram parameters. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 2008; 19: 183–9., , , , , .
- 28Optimization of plasma fluorogenic thrombin-generation assays. Am J Clin Pathol 2009; 132: 169–79., .