A comparison of risk stratification schemes for stroke in 79 884 atrial fibrillation patients in general practice
Version of Record online: 7 JAN 2011
© 2010 International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis
Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis
Volume 9, Issue 1, pages 39–48, January 2011
How to Cite
VAN STAA, T. P., SETAKIS, E., DI TANNA, G. L., LANE, D. A. and LIP, G. Y. H. (2011), A comparison of risk stratification schemes for stroke in 79 884 atrial fibrillation patients in general practice. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 9: 39–48. doi: 10.1111/j.1538-7836.2010.04085.x
- Issue online: 7 JAN 2011
- Version of Record online: 7 JAN 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 1 OCT 2010 03:25PM EST
- Received 16 August 2010, accepted 28 September 2010
- 1American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines; European Society of Cardiology Committee for Practice Guidelines and Policy Conferences (Committee to Develop Guidelines for the Management of Patients With Atrial Fibrillation); North American Society of Pacing and Electrophysiology ACC/AHA/ESC Guidelines for the Management of Patients With Atrial Fibrillation: Executive Summary A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and the European Society of Cardiology Committee for Practice Guidelines and Policy Conferences (Committee to Develop Guidelines for the Management of Patients With Atrial Fibrillation) Developed in Collaboration With the North American Society of Pacing and Electrophysiology. Circulation. 2001; 104: 2118–50., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ;
- 2National Collaborating Centre for Chronic Conditions. Atrial Fibrillation: National Clinical Guideline for Management in Primary and Secondary Care. London: Royal College of Physicians, 2006.
- 6Stroke Prevention in Atrial Fibrillation Investigators. Risk factors for thromboembolism during aspirin therapy in patients with atrial fibrillation: The Stroke Prevention in Atrial Fibrillation Study. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 1995; 5: 147–57.
- 7Algra A for the European Atrial Fibrillation Trial (EAFT) Study Group. Predictors of major vascular events in patients with a transient ischemic attack or minor ischemic stroke with nonrheumatic atrial fibrillation. Stroke 1995; 16: 801–6., , , , ,
- 11Chronic atrial fibrillation: incidence, prevalence, and prediction of stroke using the Congestive heart failure, Hypertension, Age >75, Diabetes mellitus, and prior Stroke or transient ischemic attack (CHADS2) risk stratification scheme. Am Heart J 2008; 156: 57–64., , , .
- 18The General Practice Research (GPRD) Database: now and the future. In: MannRD, AndrewsEB, eds. Pharmacovigilance. 2nd edn. Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., , .
- 22An Introduction to the Bootstrap. Chapman and Hall, 1993., .
- 23Bootstrap Methods and Permutation Tests, 2nd edn. New York: W. H. Freeman, 2005., , , , .
- 25Initiation and persistence of warfarin or aspirin in patients with chronic atrial fibrillation in general practice: do the appropriate patients receive stroke prophylaxis? J Thromb Haemost 2008; 6: 1500–6., , , .
- 27Guideline Development Group, National Clinical Guideline for Management of Atrial Fibrillation in Primary and Secondary Care, National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Stroke and thromboembolism in atrial fibrillation: a systematic review of stroke risk factors, risk stratification schema and cost effectiveness data. Thromb Haemost 2008; 99: 295–304., ,
- 42European Heart Rhythm Association; European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery; , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation: the Task Force for the Management of Atrial Fibrillation of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Heart J. 2010; 31: 2369–429.