The Social Amplification of Risk: A Conceptual Framework
Article first published online: 29 MAY 2006
Volume 8, Issue 2, pages 177–187, June 1988
How to Cite
Kasperson, R. E., Renn, O., Slovic, P., Brown, H. S., Emel, J., Goble, R., Kasperson, J. X. and Ratick, S. (1988), The Social Amplification of Risk: A Conceptual Framework. Risk Analysis, 8: 177–187. doi: 10.1111/j.1539-6924.1988.tb01168.x
- Issue published online: 29 MAY 2006
- Article first published online: 29 MAY 2006
- Received October 8, 1987; revised January 8, 1988
- 2Risk Perception: A Systematic Review of Concepts and Research Results,” in Avoiding and Managing Environmental Damage from Major Industrial Accidents, Proceedings of the Air Pollution Control Association International Conference in Vancouver, Canada , November 1985 (The Association, Pittsburgh, 1986), pp. 377–408., “
- 7R. E.Kasperson, (ed.), Equity Issues in Radioactive Waste Management ( Cambridge , Oelgeschlager , Gunn and Hain, 1983).
- 9Public Perceptions of Risk,” in The Urban Transportation of Irradiated Fuel, J.Surrey, (ed.), (Macmillan, London , 1984), pp. 246–259., “
- 11Risk and Culture: An Essay on the Selection of Technological and Environmental Dangers (University of California Press, Berkeley , 1982).and ,
- 12B.Johnson. V.Covello, (eds.), Social and Cultural Construction of Risk (Reidel, Boston , 1987).
- 13Understanding Public Disputes about Risky Technologies, technical report (Social Science Research Council, New York , 1984).and ,
- 14Chemical Catastrophes: Regulating Environmental Risk Through Pollution Liability Insurance (R. D. Irwin, Springfield , Illinois , 1985).,
- 16EDB: A Case Study in the Communication of Health Risk (Office of Policy Analysis, Environmental Protection Agency, Washington , D.C. , 1985).,
- 17Risk Assessment in Social Perspective,” in Perceptions of Risk (National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurement, Washington , 1980), pp. 37–85., “
- 18Theories of Mass Communication (D. McKay, New York , 1966).,
- 20The Structure and Function of Communication in Society,” in L.Bryson, (ed.), The Communication of Ideas: A Series of Addresses (Cooper Square Publishers, New York , 1948), pp. 32–35., “
- 21Social Communication,” Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society 92, 371–375 (1948)., “
- 22Decision-Making Uncertainties in Emergency Warning System Organizations,” International Journal of Mass Emergencies and Disasters (in press).and , “
- 23French and Swiss Fight about Tainted Cheese,” New York Times (January, 1988), p. 2., “
- 26Impacts of Hazardous Technology: The Psycho-Social Effects of Restarting TMI (State University of New York Press, Albany , 1987).et al.,
- 27Is Nuclear Energy Acceptable Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists 33(4), 54–60 (1977)., “
- 28D.Kahneman, P.Slovic, A.Tversky, (eds.), Judgment under Uncertainty: Heuristics and Biases (Cambridge University Press, New York , 1982).
- 29The Dynamics of Technical Controversy (Communication Press, Washington , D.C. , 1981).,
- 30National Research Council, Disasters and the Mass Media (National Academy of Sciences Press, Washington , D.C. , 1980).
- 32Symbolic Interactionism: Perspective and Method (Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs , New Jersey , 1969).,
- 33Stigma (Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs , New Jersey , 1963).,
- 34Forecasting the Adverse Economic Effects of a Nuclear Waste Repository,” in R. G.Post, (ed.), Waste Management '87 (Arizona Board of Regents, University of Arizona, Tuscon , 1987)., “
- 35Radioactive Wastes and the Social Amplification of Risk,” in R. G.Post, (ed.), Waste Management '87 (Arizona Board of Regents, University of Arizona, Tucson , 1987)., , , , , and , “