Ten years ago, we published our first article using this longitudinal data set in a volume of the Journal of Social Issues coedited by Michele Alexander and Shana Levin (Sinclair, Sidanius, & Levin, 1998). The topic of the volume was “Understanding and Resolving National and International Group Conflict.” The current article, written for a special issue of JSI dedicated to Michele, examines national group conflict. The focus of other work, conducted in collaboration with Michele, is international group conflict (Alexander, Levin, & Henry, 2005). Michele's legacy is the passion for scholarly inquiry she instilled in her students and stirred in her colleagues. Her inspiration will always be with us.
Ethnic and University Identities across the College Years: A Common In-Group Identity Perspective
Article first published online: 10 APR 2009
© 2009 The Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues
Journal of Social Issues
Volume 65, Issue 2, pages 287–306, June 2009
How to Cite
Levin, S., Sinclair, S., Sidanius, J. and Van Laar, C. (2009), Ethnic and University Identities across the College Years: A Common In-Group Identity Perspective. Journal of Social Issues, 65: 287–306. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-4560.2009.01601.x
This research was supported by grants from the Russell Sage Foundation, the UCLA Office of the Chancellor, and the National Science Foundation (Award No. BCS-9808686). Special thanks are due to David O. Sears for his collaboration on the longitudinal data collection. Stacey Sinclair is now at Princeton University.
- Issue published online: 10 APR 2009
- Article first published online: 10 APR 2009
This article has been cited by:
- 1Constructing and protecting identity in a diverse higher education context, Perspectives: Policy and Practice in Higher Education, 2015, 19, 4, 127,
- 3National Identification and Intergroup Attitudes Among Members of the National Majority and Immigrants: Preliminary Evidence for the Mediational Role of Psychological Ownership of a Country, Journal of Social and Political Psychology, 2015, 3, 1, 24, , ,
- 4Local university students and intercultural interactions: conceptualising culture, seeing diversity and experiencing interactions, Higher Education Research & Development, 2014, 33, 3, 440, , ,
- 5Assimilation, multiculturalism, and colorblindness: Mediated and moderated relationships between social dominance orientation and prejudice, Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 2012, 48, 1, 207, , , , , , , ,