*Both authors contributed equally. This paper was accepted in fall 2008 when the first author was affiliated with the Aarhus School of Business, Aarhus University, Denmark. We thank Guido Berens, Tom J. Brown, Nikolaus Franke, Ulrike Kaiser, Peter Keinz, Emanuela Prandelli, Bodo B. Schlegelmilch, Rajan Varadarajan, and Eric von Hippel for their valuable help with and feedback on earlier versions of this paper. We are also grateful for the suggestions made by the editor, Tony di Benedetto, and the reviewers. The project was funded by the University of Vienna (first author affiliation during PhD), the Vienna University of Economics and Business (second author affiliation during habilitation), and the Wiener Wissenschafts-, Forschungs- und Technologiefonds (WWTF).
Customer Empowerment in New Product Development†
Article first published online: 16 DEC 2010
© 2010 Product Development & Management Association
Journal of Product Innovation Management
Volume 28, Issue 1, pages 17–32, January 2011
How to Cite
Fuchs, C. and Schreier, M. (2011), Customer Empowerment in New Product Development. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 28: 17–32. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-5885.2010.00778.x
- Issue published online: 16 DEC 2010
- Article first published online: 16 DEC 2010
- 1996. Building strong brands. New York: Free Press.
- 1985. The salesperson as outside agent or employee: A transaction cost analysis. Marketing Science 4 (3): 234–54.
- 1982. A cross-national survey of consumer attitudes towards marketing practices, consumerism and government regulations. Columbia Journal of World Business 17 (2): 71–96. , , , , , and , et al.
- 1986. Investment banking, reputation, and the underpricing of initial public offerings. Journal of Financial Economics 15 (1–2): 213–32. , and .
- 2005. Corporate associations and consumer product responses: The moderating role of corporate brand dominance. Journal of Marketing 69 (3): 35–48. , , and .
- 2000. Too much corporate power? Business Week 11:52–60 (September). , , , and .
- 1989. A framework for analyzing customer service orientations in manufacturing. Academy of Management Review 14 (1): 75–95. , , and .
- 2001. Cyberspace advertising vs. other media: Consumer vs. mature student attitudes. Journal of Advertising Research 41 (5): 23–32. , and
- 2001. Customer orientation: Effects on customer service perceptions and outcome behaviors. Journal of Service Research 3 (3): 241–51. , and
- 1997. The company and the product: Corporate associations and consumer product responses. Journal of Marketing 61 (1): 68–84. , and .
- 1992. Comparing dynamic consumer choice in real and computer-simulated environments. Journal of Consumer Research 19 (1): 71–82. , , , and .
- 1981. Designing research for application. Journal of Consumer Research 8 (2): 197–08. , , and .
- 2003. The era of open innovation. Sloan Management Review 44 (3): 35–41.
- 2006. The influence of corporate character on customers and employees: Exploring similarities and differences. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 34 (2): 138–46. , and .
- 2006. With a little help of my friends. CIO Insight 74 (11): 84–92.
- 1999. Winning at new products: Accelerating the process from idea to launch, (2d ed.). Reading, MA: Perseus Books.
- 1987. Product novelty. Does it moderate the relationship between ad attitudes and brand attitudes? Journal of Advertising 16 (3): 39–44. , and .
- 1994. Communists and democrats: Democratic attitudes in two Germanies. British Journal of Political Science 24: 469–93.
- 2002. The virtual customer. Journal Product Innovation Management 19 (5): 332–53. , and .
- 2007. The defensive consumer: Advertising deception, defensive processing, and distrust. Journal of Marketing Research 44: 114–27 (February). , and .
- 1993. Corporate culture, customer orientation, and innovativeness in Japanese firms: A quadrad analysis. Journal of Marketing 57 (1): 23–37. , , and
- 2006. Building corporate associations: Consumer attributions for corporate socially responsible programs. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 34 (2): 147–57. , , and .
- 2006. Finding commercially attractive user innovations: A test of lead-user theory. Journal of product innovation management 23 (4): 301–15. , , and .
- 2000. Happiness, economy and institutions. Economic Journal 110 (466): 918–38 (October). , and .
- 2002. What can economists learn from happiness research? Journal of Economic Literature 40 (2): 402–35. , and .
- 2007. Innovation creation by online basketball communities. Journal of Business Research 60 (1): 60–71. , , and .
- 1997. Strategic orientation of the firm and new product performance. Journal of Marketing Research 34 (1): 77–90. , and .
- 1993. The voice of the customer. Marketing Science 12 (1): 1–27. , and .
- 2002. Why do brands cause trouble? A dialectical theory of consumer culture and branding. Journal of Consumer Research 29:70–90 (June).
- 1996. Dialectic of enlightenment. New York: Continuum. , and .
- 1986. Effects of competitive context and of additional information on price sensitivity. Journal of Marketing Research 23 (3): 250–60. , , and .
- 1996. The importance of utility balance in efficient choice designs. Journal of Marketing Research 33 (3): 307–17. , and .
- 1972. The components of perceived risk. In: Proceedings of the 3rd annual conference of the Association for Consumer Research, ed. M.Venkatesan. College Park, MD: Association for Consumer Research, 382–92. , and .
- 1993. Market orientation: Antecedents and consequences. Journal of Marketing 57 (3): 53–70. , and .
- 1993. Conceptualizing, measuring, and managing customer-based brand equity. Journal of Marketing 57 (1): 1–22.
- 1992. Developing customer orientation among service employees. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 20 (1): 27–36.
- 2005. Market orientation: A meta-analytic review and assessment of its antecedents and impact on performance. Journal of Marketing 69 (2): 24–41. , , and .
- 1999. No logo. New York: Picador.
- 2002. Can consumers escape the market? Emancipatory illuminations from Burning Man. Journal Consumer Research 29 (1): 20–38.
- 2003. Mind the gap: An analysis of service provider versus customer perception of market orientation and the impact on satisfaction. European Journal of Marketing 37 (1–2): 197–17. , , , and .
- 2006. Broadcast search in problem solving: Attracting solutions from the periphery. Working Paper, Sloan School of Management, MIT, Cambridge, MA.
- 1996. Customer contributions to quality: A different view of the customer-oriented firm. Academy of Management Review 21 (3): 791–24.
- 2006. Users' contributions to radical innovation: Evidence from four cases in the field of medical equipment technology. R&D Management 36 (3): 251–72. , , and .
- 2002. Performance assessment of the lead user idea generation process. Management Science 46 (12): 1513–27. , , , , and .
- 1982. Limit pricing and entry under incomplete information. An equilibrium analysis. Econometrica 50 (2): 443–59. , and .
- 1995. A comparative analysis of four scales of consumer involvement. Psychology & Marketing 12 (7): 663–82.
- 1991. The critical imagination: Emancipatory interests in consumer research. Journal of Consumer Research 18 (2): 129–44. , and .
- 1995. Uniting critical theory and public policy to create the reflexively defiant consumer. American Behavioral Scientist 38 (4): 516–25. , and .
- 2002. Designing virtual customer environments for new product development: Toward a theory. Academy of Management Review 27 (3): 392–13.
- 1990. The effect of a market orientation on business profitability. Journal of Marketing 54 (4): 20–35. , and .
- 2006. Reducing the risks of new product development. Sloan Management Review 47 (2): 65–71. , and .
- 2006. The penguin's window: Corporate brands from an open-source perspective. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 34 (2): 115–27. , , , , and .
- 1990. The empirical relevance of comparative institutional analysis. European Economic Review 34 (2–3): 458–69.
- 2004. The role of contingency awareness, involvement, and need for cognition in attitude formation. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 32 (3): 329–44. , and .
- 2006. Learning from leading-edge customers at The Sims: Opening up the innovation process using toolkits. R&D Management 36 (3): 237–50. , and .
- 1986. Representative versus direct democracy: A Tiebout test of relative performance. Public Choice 48 (1): 55–63.
- 2000. Communities of creation: Managing distributed innovation in turbulent markets. California Management Review 42 (4): 24–54. , and .
- 2005. Collaborating to create: The Internet as a platform for customer engagement in product innovation. Journal of Interactive Marketing 19 (4): 4–17. , , and .
- 1982. The SOCO Scale: A measure of the customer orientation of salespeople. Journal of Marketing Research 19 (3): 343–51. , and .
- 2008. Extending lead-user theory: Antecedents and consequences of consumers' lead userness. Journal of Product Innovation Management 25 (4): 331–46. , and .
- 2000. The antecedents and consequences of customer-centric marketing. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 28 (1): 55–66. , , and .
- 1982. Warranty and other extrinsic cue effects on consumers' risk perceptions. Journal of Consumer Research 19 (2): 229–39. , and .
- 1995. Market orientation and the learning organization. Journal of Marketing 59 (3): 63–74. , and .
- 2005. An attitude-behavior model of salespeople's customer orientation. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 33 (4): 536–52. , and .
- 1993. Perceived risk: Further considerations for the marketing discipline. European Journal of Marketing 27 (3): 39–50. , and .
- 2005. The ties that bind: Measuring the strength of consumers' emotional attachments to brands. Journal of Consumer Psychology 15 (1): 77–91. , , and .
- Trendwatching. 2006. Customer-made: Time to tap into the global brain. Report (May 2006) retrieved from http://www.trendwatching.com/(October 2006).
- 1990. ‘Consumers’ attitudes towards marketing practices, consumerism and government regulations: Cross-national perspectives. European Journal of Marketing 24 (6): 6–23. , and .
- 1978. Successful industrial products from customer ideas. Journal of Marketing 42 (1): 39–49.
- 2005. Democratizing Innovation. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- 2002. Shifting innovation to users via toolkits. Management Science 48 (7): 821–33. , and .
- 2004. The asymmetric effect of discount retraction on subsequent choice. Journal of Consumer Research 31 (3): 652–57. , , and .
- 1986. The effect of brand advertising on company image: Implications for corporate advertising. Journal of Advertising Research 26: 54–59 (April–May).
- 1988. Does it pay to advertise hostile audiences with corporate advertising? Journal of Advertising Research 28: 11–18 (June–July).
- 2005. The brand attitude formation process of emotional and informational ads. Journal of Business Research 58 (10): 1397–06. , and .
- 1985. Measuring the involvement construct. Journal of Consumer Research 12 (3): 341–52.
- 1996. The behavioral consequences of service quality. Journal of Marketing 60 (2): 31–46. , , and .
- 1988. Citizen participation, perceived control, and psychological empowerment. American Journal of Community Psychology 16 (5): 725–50. , and .