This research has been funded in part by the Summer Research Fellowship of Howard University and the Chinese National Science Foundation Key Project (70532006).
The Institutionalization of an Electronic Marketplace in China, 1998–2010†
Article first published online: 17 OCT 2012
© 2012 Product Development & Management Association
Journal of Product Innovation Management
Volume 30, Issue 1, pages 96–109, January 2013
How to Cite
Yang, G. and Wang, R. (2013), The Institutionalization of an Electronic Marketplace in China, 1998–2010. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 30: 96–109. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-5885.2012.00989.x
- Issue published online: 20 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 17 OCT 2012
- Summer Research Fellowship of Howard University
- Chinese National Science Foundation Key Project. Grant Number: 70532006
- 1986. Some elements of a sociology of translation: Domestication of the scallops and the fishermen of St. Brieuc Bay. In Power, action and belief: A new sociology of knowledge, ed. J. Law , 196–223. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul.
- 2007. Understanding the emerging C2C electronic market in China: An experience-seeking social marketplace. Electronic Markets 17 (2): 86–100. , , , and .
- China Daily. 2005. Taobao extends free online bid service. Available at: http://english.people.com.cn/200510/21/eng20051021_215801.html.
- 2011. Ubiquity and legitimacy: Disentangling diffusion and institutionalization. Sociological Theory 29 (1): 27–53. , and .
- 1997. Culture and cognition. Annual Review of Sociology 23: 263–287.
- 2006. The world is flat: A brief history of the twenty-first century. New York: Farrar Straus & Giroux.
- 2004. A rhetorical theory of diffusion. Academy of Management Review 29 (4): 653–669.
- 2009. Suspended in self-spun webs of significance: A rhetorical model of institutionalization and institutionally embedded agency. Academy of Management Journal ARCHIVE 52 (1): 11–36. , , and .
- 2010. Theorising big IT programmes in healthcare: Strong structuration theory meets actor-network theory. Social Science & Medicine 70 (9): 1285–1294. , and .
- 2001. When innovations meet institutions: Edison and the design of the electric light. Administrative Science Quarterly 46 (3): 476–501. , and .
- 2010. Megamarketing: The creation of markets as a social process. Journal of Marketing 74 (2): 1–19.
- 2010. The mediating effect of experiential value on customers’ perceived value of digital content: China's anti-virus program market. Journal of Global Academy of Marketing Science 20 (2): 219–230. , and .
- 2006. Legitimacy as a social process. Annual Review of Sociology 32: 53–78. , , and .
- 2008. A cross cultural study of antecedents of purchase intention for sports shoes in Korea and China. Journal of Global Academy of Marketing Science 18 (1): 158–177. , , and .
- 1987. Science in action: How to follow scientists and engineers through society. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- 2010. How new market categories emerge: Temporal dynamics of legitimacy, identity, and entrepreneurship in satellite radio, 1990–2005. Administrative Science Quarterly 55 (3): 439–471. , and .
- 1990. Institutions, institutional change, and economic performance. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- 2004. Discourse and institutions. Academy of Management Review 29: 635–652. , , and .
- 1991. The new institutionalism in organizational analysis. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. , and .
- 1991. The institutional domain of technology diffusion. Journal of Product Innovation Management 8: 295–304. , , and .
- 2001. Institutions and organizations. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- 2007. Technological embeddedness and organizational change. Organization Science 18 (5): 832–848. , , and .
- 2006. The role of SMS in mobile data service diffusion in China: A longitudinal case study based on actor-network theory. Twenty-Seventh International Conference on Information Systems, Milwaukee, WI, 1737–1755. , and .
- 2008. Forage for thought: Mobilizing codes in the movement for grass-fed meat and dairy products. Administrative Science Quarterly 53 (3): 529–567. , , and .
- 2010. An actor-network theory analysis of policy innovation for smoke-free places: Understanding change in complex systems. American Journal of Public Health 100: 1208–1217. , , and .
- 2006. eBay China gets Shanghaied by Taobao. Retrieved June 12, 2011. Available at: http://techfreep.com/eBay-China-gets-shangahaied-by-taobao.htm.