I would like to thank the following friends and colleagues for their help and advice: Edward Ayers, Woody Beck, W. Fitzhugh Brundage, Jerome Bruner, Mitchell Duneier, Gretchen Feltes, Jeff Goodwin, Dirk Hartog, James B. Jacobs, Michael Klarman, Daryl Levinson, Michael Meranze, William I. Miller, Rick Pildes, John P. Reid, and Loic Wacquant. I am also grateful to several anonymous referees for LSR and to the participants in workshops at the NYU School of Law, Columbia Law School, New York Law School, Emory Law School, Princeton Sociology Department, Yale Sociology Department, and Green College, Vancouver. Finally, I would like to acknowledge the assistance of the Filomen D'Agostino and Max E. Greenberg Research Fund at NYU. Please address correspondence to David Garland, School of Law, New York University, New York, NY 10012; e-mail: David.Garland@nyu.edu.
Penal Excess and Surplus Meaning: Public Torture Lynchings in Twentieth-Century America
Version of Record online: 18 NOV 2005
Law & Society Review
Volume 39, Issue 4, pages 793–834, December 2005
How to Cite
Garland, D. (2005), Penal Excess and Surplus Meaning: Public Torture Lynchings in Twentieth-Century America. Law & Society Review, 39: 793–834. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-5893.2005.00245.x
- Issue online: 18 NOV 2005
- Version of Record online: 18 NOV 2005
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!