Financial support for this project is provided by the National Science Foundation (SES-0850432) and the American Bar Foundation. We would like to thank Lily Liang for her excellent research assistance in data analysis and writing. The fieldwork benefited from the extraordinary work of 13 research assistants from China University of Political Science and Law, whose names have to be omitted for their protection. Earlier versions of the article were presented at the Law & Society Association 2010 Annual Meeting; the American Sociological Association 2010 Annual Meeting; the Chinese Politics Workshop and Politics, Culture, Society (PCS) Brownbag at the University of Wisconsin-Madison; the Workshop on Chinese Legal Reform at Yale Law School; and the East Asian Workshop at the University of Chicago. We received helpful comments from the participants, especially Paul Gewirtz, Chad Goldberg, Lucien Karpik, Leah Larson-Rabin, Chaeyoon Lim, Melanie Manion, Pamela Oliver, Jeffrey Prescott, and Erik Olin Wright. Please address correspondence to Sida Liu, Department of Sociology, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 8128 William H. Sewell Social Sciences Building, 1180 Observatory Drive, Madison, WI 53706; e-mail: email@example.com; or to Terence C. Halliday, Center on Law and Globalization, American Bar Foundation, 750 North Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL 60611; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Political Liberalism and Political Embeddedness: Understanding Politics in the Work of Chinese Criminal Defense Lawyers
Article first published online: 8 DEC 2011
© 2011 Law and Society Association
Law & Society Review
Volume 45, Issue 4, pages 831–866, December 2011
How to Cite
Liu, S. and Halliday, T. C. (2011), Political Liberalism and Political Embeddedness: Understanding Politics in the Work of Chinese Criminal Defense Lawyers. Law & Society Review, 45: 831–866. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-5893.2011.00458.x
- Issue published online: 8 DEC 2011
- Article first published online: 8 DEC 2011
- National Science Foundation. Grant Number: SES-0850432
- American Bar Foundation
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!