This article was delivered as the presidential address at the annual meeting of the Law and Society Association, San Francisco, California, June 5, 2011, and, as such, it retains much of the tone and style of that occasion. I thank Rick Abel, Eileen Gauna, Margaret Montoya, Alfonso Morales, Osagie Obasogie, Liz Rapaport, Carroll Seron, as well as audiences at the University of Miami School of Law, the Graduate Program in Socio-Legal Studies at York University, and the University of Toronto's Centre for Criminology and Sociolegal Studies for helpful feedback on earlier drafts. I am grateful to Lissa Ganter for so faithfully keeping the records that allowed me to corroborate my memories about the association's institutional history. I have benefited enormously from conversations over many years with colleagues in critical race theory, LatCrit, and law and society circles, and I thank the organizers of those various forums. I thank the librarians and student assistants at the law libraries at the University of New Mexico School of Law and the UCLA School of Law. Please address correspondence to Laura E. Gómez, UCLA School of Law, 385 Charles E. Young Drive East, Los Angeles, CA 90095; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Looking for Race in All the Wrong Places
Version of Record online: 21 MAY 2012
© 2012 Law and Society Association
Law & Society Review
Volume 46, Issue 2, pages 221–245, June 2012
How to Cite
Gómez, L. E. (2012), Looking for Race in All the Wrong Places. Law & Society Review, 46: 221–245. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-5893.2012.00486.x
- Issue online: 21 MAY 2012
- Version of Record online: 21 MAY 2012
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!