This article was supported by the Polarization and Conflict Project (CIT-2-CT-2004-506084), funded by the European Commission-DG Research Sixth Framework Program, by the National Science Foundation (SBR 9810092), by the Research Council of Norway, and by the World Bank. We thank the European Union and the Research Council of Norway for their support of the Centre for the Study of Civil War at PRIO. Robert Bates, Patrick Brandt, Bruce Bueno de Mesquita, William Dixon, Nils Petter Gleditsch, Michael Huelshoff, Zeev Maoz, Will Moore, Magnus Öberg, Marc Rosenblum, Bruce Russett, Kaare Strøm, and Suzanne Warner provided valuable comments and suggestions. A replication dataset and Stata do-files, as well as an online appendix containing the results of several alternative models, may be downloaded from http://www.prio.no/page/cscw/datasets/9649/47323.html.
Institutional Inconsistency and Political Instability: Polity Duration, 1800–2000
Version of Record online: 19 SEP 2006
American Journal of Political Science
Volume 50, Issue 4, pages 893–908, October 2006
How to Cite
Gates, S., Hegre, H., Jones, M. P. and Strand, H. (2006), Institutional Inconsistency and Political Instability: Polity Duration, 1800–2000. American Journal of Political Science, 50: 893–908. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-5907.2006.00222.x
- Issue online: 19 SEP 2006
- Version of Record online: 19 SEP 2006
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!