I would like to thank Dan Okimoto, Anne Wren, Alberto Diaz-Cayeros, Beatriz Magaloni, Ethan Scheiner, Rob Weiner, Barry Burden, Ray Christensen, Dick Katz, Jessica Weeks, and Catherine Duggan for their advice at various stages of writing this article. Steven Reed provided much of the electoral data used here. Earlier versions were presented at the APSA Annual Conference (2004), the Berkeley-Stanford Conference on Contemporary Japanese Politics (2004), and the Japanese Politics Workshop at Harvard (2006). Suggestions from the three anonymous reviewers were critical in tightening the arguments in this article. All errors are my own.
Manipulating Electoral Rules to Manufacture Single-Party Dominance
Version of Record online: 18 JAN 2008
American Journal of Political Science
Volume 52, Issue 1, pages 32–47, January 2008
How to Cite
McElwain, K. M. (2008), Manipulating Electoral Rules to Manufacture Single-Party Dominance. American Journal of Political Science, 52: 32–47. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-5907.2007.00297.x
- Issue online: 18 JAN 2008
- Version of Record online: 18 JAN 2008
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!