This is a revised version of a paper prepared for delivery at the 2005 “Workshop for Preliminary Presentations of Findings from the Citizenship, Involvement, Democracy (CID) Survey Project,” Center for Democracy and the Third Sector (CDATS), Georgetown University. Support for the research on which this article is based has been provided by the Atlantic Philanthropies in a grant to the Center for Democracy and the Third Sector (CDATS) at Georgetown University, and by the Weidenbaum Center on the Economy, Government, and Public Policy at Washington University in St. Louis. Marc Morjé Howard, with the assistance of James L. Gibson, was primarily responsible for executing that survey. I greatly appreciate Howard's untiring efforts on the 2005 project, as well as the support for this research provided by Steven S. Smith of the Weidenbaum Center at Washington University in St. Louis. I also appreciate the research assistance of Marc Hendershot, Jessica Flanigan, and Eric Wolfish and the comments of E. J. Dionne on an earlier draft of this article.
Intolerance and Political Repression in the United States: A Half Century after McCarthyism
Article first published online: 18 JAN 2008
American Journal of Political Science
Volume 52, Issue 1, pages 96–108, January 2008
How to Cite
Gibson, J. L. (2008), Intolerance and Political Repression in the United States: A Half Century after McCarthyism. American Journal of Political Science, 52: 96–108. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-5907.2007.00301.x
- Issue published online: 18 JAN 2008
- Article first published online: 18 JAN 2008
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!