I am indebted to Dan Reiter, Cliff Carrubba, Jeff Staton, Eric Reinhardt, Kristian Gleditsch, David Lake, Branislav Slantchev, Barbara Walter, David Meyer, Holger Schmidt, participants of the PIPES workshop at the University of Chicago, and three anonymous reviewers for helpful comments and discussion. I am especially appreciative of Nigel Lo's assistance in coding the data.
Agreement without Peace? International Mediation and Time Inconsistency Problems
Version of Record online: 29 SEP 2008
©2008, Midwest Political Science Association
American Journal of Political Science
Volume 52, Issue 4, pages 723–740, October 2008
How to Cite
Beardsley, K. (2008), Agreement without Peace? International Mediation and Time Inconsistency Problems. American Journal of Political Science, 52: 723–740. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-5907.2008.00339.x
- Issue online: 29 SEP 2008
- Version of Record online: 29 SEP 2008
- 2006. “Politics by Means Other Than War: Understanding International Mediation.” Dissertation. University of California, San Diego . .
- 2007. “Pain, Pressure, and Political Cover: Explaining Mediation Selection.” Unpublished manuscript. .
- 2006. “Mediation Style and Crisis Outcomes. Journal of Conflict Resolution 50(1): 58–86. , , , and .
- 1998. “Taking Time Seriously: Time-Series-Cross-Section Analysis with a Binary Dependent Variable. American Journal of Political Science 42(4): 1260–88. , , and .
- 1996. “Understanding Mediation's Role in Preventive Diplomacy. Negotiation Journal 12(3): 241–58. .
- 1997. “Mediation in International Conflict: An Overview of Theory, a Review of Practice.” In Peacemaking in International Conflict: Methods and Techniques, ed. I. WilliamZartman and J. LewisRasmussen. Washington , DC : United States Institute of Peace, 125–53. .
- 1991. “Some Conceptual Issues and Empirical Trends in the Study of Successful Mediation in International Relations. Journal of Peace Research 28(1): 7–17. , , and .
- 2006. “Is There Method in the Madness of Mediation? Some Lessons for Mediators from Quantitative Studies of Mediation. International Interactions 32: 329–54. , and .
- 1996. “The Study of International Mediation: Theoretical Issues and Empirical Evidence.” In Resolving International Conflicts: The Theory and Practice of Mediation, ed. JacobBercovitch. Boulder , CO : Lynne Rienner, 11–35. , and .
- 1993. “The Nature of the Dispute and the Effectiveness of International Mediation. Journal of Conflict Resolution 37(4): 670–91. , and .
- 2007. “Event Dependence and Heterogeneity in Duration Models: The Conditional Frailty Model. Political Analysis 15(3): 237–56. , , and .
- 2004. Event History Modeling: A Guide for Social Scientists. New York: Cambridge University Press . , and .
- 2003. “Nonproportional Hazards and Event History Analysis in International Relations. Journal of Conflict Resolution 47(1): 33–53. , , and .
- 2000. A Study of Crisis. 2nd ed. Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press (with CD-ROM). , and .
- 1986. “Strategic Choice in Mediation. Negotiation Journal 2(1): 41–56.
- 2007. “Back to the Future: Modeling Time Dependency in Binary Data.” Unpublished manuscript. , and .
- 1996. “United Nations Intervention and Recurring Conflict. International Organization 50(4): 683–700. , , and .
- 1994. “Democracy and the Peaceful Settlement of International Conflict. American Political Science Review 88(1): 14–32.
- 1996. “Third-Party Techniques for Preventing Conflict Escalation and Promoting Peaceful Settlement. International Organization 50(4): 653–81.
- 2006. Making War and Building Peace: United Nations Peace Operations. Princeton , NJ : Princeton University Press. , and .
- 1995. “Rationalist Explanations for War. International Organization 49(3): 379–414.
- 2004a. “Does Peacekeeping Keep Peace? International Intervention and the Duration of Peace after Civil War. International Studies Quarterly 48(2): 269–92. .
- 2004b. “Interstate Peacekeeping: Causal Mechanisms and Empirical Effects. World Politics 56: 481–519. .
- 2004c. Peace Time: Cease-Fire Agreements and the Durability of Peace. Princeton , NJ : Princeton University Press. .
- 2006. “Third-Party Intermediaries and Negotiated Settlements, 1946-2000. International Interactions 32: 385–408. , and .
- 2006. “Overcoming Obstacles to Peace: The Contribution of Mediation to Short-Lived Conflict Settlements. International Studies Quarterly 50(4): 819–40. , and .
- 2005. “Maintenance Processes in International Relations. Journal of Conflict Resolution 49: 742–69. , , and .
- 2003. Econometric Analysis. 5th ed. Upper Saddle River , NJ : Prentice Hall.
- 2001. “Moments of Opportunity: Recognizing Conditions of Ripeness for International Mediation Between Enduring Rivals. Journal of Conflict Resolution 45: 691–718. .
- 2005. “Stepping into the Fray: When Do Mediators Mediate? American Journal of Political Science 49: 249–66. .
- 2006. “Softening Up: Making Conflicts More Amenable to Diplomacy. International Interactions 32: 355–84. , and .
- 2001. “Contentious Issues and World Politics: The Management of Territorial Claims in the Americas, 1816-1992. International Studies Quarterly 45(1): 81–109. .
- 2003. “Dyadic Processes and International Crises. Journal of Conflict Resolution 47: 669–92. .
- 2000. “Making the Most of Statistical Analyses: Improving Interpretation and Presentation. American Journal of Political Science 44(2): 347–61. , , and .
- 1996. “Understanding Success and Failure of International Mediation. Journal of Conflict Resolution 40(2): 360–89. .
- 1996. “Varieties of Mediating Activities and Mediators in International Relations.” In Resolving International Conflicts: The Theory and Practice of Mediation, ed. JacobBercovitch. Boulder , CO : Lynne Rienner, 219–33. .
- 2003. “Which Side Are You On? Bias, Credibility and Mediation. American Journal of Political Science 47(4): 597–611. .
- 1996. “Containing Fear: The Origins and Management of Ethnic Conflict. International Security 21(2): 41–75. , and .
- The Determinants of Postwar Peace Duration, 1914-2001: Institutions, Information, and Commitments. International Organization. , , and . Forthcoming. “
- 1983. Limited-Dependent and Qualitative Variables in Econometrics. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 1972. “Mediation as a Method of Conflict Resolution: Two Cases. International Organization 26: 595–618.
- 1999. In the Shadow of Power: States and Strategies in International Politics. Princeton , NJ : Princeton University Press. .
- 2004a. “Bargaining and Learning while Fighting. American Journal of Political Science 48(2): 344–61. .
- 2004b. “The Inefficient Use of Power: Costly Conflict with Complete Information. American Political Science Review 98(2): 231–41. .
- 1992. Intermediaries in International Conflict. Princeton , NJ : Princeton University Press. .
- 1981. Negotiation Behavior. New York : Academic Press.
- 2006. “Power Play: Mediation in Symmetric and Asymmetric International Crises. International Interactions 32(4): 441–70. , , , and .
- 2006. “Asymmetric Information, Mediation and Conflict Management. World Politics 58(2): 207–41. .
- 2006. “Diplomacy and Other Forms of Intervention in Civil Wars. Journal of Conflict Resolution 50(5): 736–56. , and .
- 2000. “In the Nick of Time: Conflict Management, Mediation Timing, and the Duration of Interstate Disputes. International Studies Quarterly 44: 239–60. , and
- 1991. “The Timing of Ripeness and the Ripeness of Timing.” In Timing the De-escalation of International Conflicts, ed. LouisKriesberg and Stuart J.Thorson. Syracuse , NY : Syracuse University Press, 237–46.
- 2004. “An Event Data Analysis of Third-Party Mediation. Journal of Conflict Resolution 48(3): 310–30. , and .
- 1972. “Capability Distribution, Uncertainty, and Major Power War.” In Peace, War, and Numbers. Beverly Hills , CA : Sage, 19–48. , , and .
- 2003. “Mediation and Peacekeeping in a Random Walk Model of Civil and Interstate War. International Studies Review 5(4): 115–35. , and .
- 2007a. “Bargaining, Bias and Peace Brokers: How Rebels Commit to Peace. Journal of Peace Research 44(2): 177–94. .
- 2007b. “Mediation with Muscles or Minds? Exploring Power Mediators and Pure Mediators in Civil Wars. International Negotiation 12: 229–48. .
- 2005. “Rational Mediation: A Theory and a Test. Journal of Peace Research 42(5): 563–83. , and .
- 1985. “Introduction: Mediation in Theory.” In International Mediation in Theory and Practice, ed. SaadiaTouval and I. WilliamZartman. Boulder , CO : Westview Press, 7–18. , and .
- 2002. Committing to Peace: The Successful Settlement of Civil Wars. Princeton , NJ : Princeton University Press.
- 1999a. “Choosing Demands Strategically: The Distribution of Power, the Distribution of Benefits, and the Risk of Conflict. Journal of Conflict Resolution 43(6): 705–26. .
- 1999b. “The Precarious Nature of Peace: Resolving the Issues, Enforcing the Settlement, and Renegotiating the Terms. American Journal of Political Science 43(3): 912–34. .
- 2005. “Making and Keeping Peace. International Organization 59(2): 261–92. , and .
- 2003. “Mediating International Crises: Cross-National and Experimental Perspectives. Journal of Conflict Resolution 47(3): 279–301. , , , and .
- 2005. Mediating International Crises. New York : Routledge. , , , and .
- 2004. Going Critical: The First North Korean Nuclear Crisis. Washington , DC : Brookings. , , and .
- 1967. The Intermediaries: Third Parties in International Crises. Princeton , NJ : Princeton University Press.
- 1972. “Intermediaries: Additional Thoughts on Third Parties. Journal of Conflict Resolution 16: 51–65.
- 1985. Ripe for Resolution: Conflict and Intervention in Africa. New York : Oxford University Press. .
- 1985. “International Mediation: Conflict Resolution and Power Politics. Journal of Social Issues 41(2): 27–45. , and .