We are highly indebted to Joan Scott for inspiring us and for many discussions on the parity movement in France. We are grateful to the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton for giving us the opportunity to start this project. Comments by Matt Jackson, Dean Lacy, Matthias Messner, Kira Sanbonmatsu, Gilles Serra, Ken Shepsle, Guido Tabellini, Jack Wright, four anonymous referees, and by the participants at various workshops are gratefully acknowledged. We thank Ji Li, Chloé Tergiman, and Violette Van Dyck for their assistance with the data as well as the Centre de Données Socio-Politiques for providing us with some of the data. Morelli gratefully acknowledges the financial support of the National Science Foundation (Grants SES-0213312 and SES-0519045) and the Deutsche Bank. Maniquet thanks the Belgian Program on Interuniversity Poles of Attraction initiated by the Belgian State, Prime Minister's Office, Science Policy Programming. Fréchette's research was partially supported by the Center for Experimental Social Science, the C.V. Starr Center, and the National Science Foundation (Grants SES-0519045 and SES-0721111). Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations in this material are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the institutions supporting the project.
Incumbents' Interests and Gender Quotas
Version of Record online: 29 SEP 2008
©2008, Midwest Political Science Association
American Journal of Political Science
Volume 52, Issue 4, pages 891–909, October 2008
How to Cite
Fréchette, G. R., Maniquet, F. and Morelli, M. (2008), Incumbents' Interests and Gender Quotas. American Journal of Political Science, 52: 891–909. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-5907.2008.00349.x
- Issue online: 29 SEP 2008
- Version of Record online: 29 SEP 2008
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!