An earlier version of this article was presented at the annual meeting of the Midwest Political Science Association. I thank Barbara Geddes, Jeffrey B. Lewis, Yuch Kono, Kevin Morrison, Jennifer Tobin, and two anonymous reviewers for helpful comments and suggestions. I am grateful to Jessica Weeks and Xun Cao for sharing data. I gratefully acknowledge financial support for this research from the UCLA Graduate Division and the Niehaus Center for Globalization and Governance at Princeton University. All errors remain my own.
How Foreign Aid Can Foster Democratization in Authoritarian Regimes
Article first published online: 23 JUN 2009
©2009, Midwest Political Science Association
American Journal of Political Science
Volume 53, Issue 3, pages 552–571, July 2009
How to Cite
Wright, J. (2009), How Foreign Aid Can Foster Democratization in Authoritarian Regimes. American Journal of Political Science, 53: 552–571. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-5907.2009.00386.x
- Issue published online: 23 JUN 2009
- Article first published online: 23 JUN 2009
- 2000. “Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why Journal of Economic Growth 5(1): 33–63. , and .
- 2000. Democracy and Development. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. , , , and .
- 1996. “The Cross-National Time-Series Data Archive. .
- 1971. Dissent on Development. London : Weidenfield and Nicholson.
- 2008. “Foreign Aid, Recipient Growth, and the Strategic Goals of Donor Governments.” University of Pittsburgh . Unpublished manuscript. , and .
- 2008. “Donors and Development: The Use of Sector Allocation as a Tool in Foreign Aid Policy.” Princeton University . Unpublished manuscript. .
- 2003. “Nonproportional Hazards and Event History Analysis in International Relations. Journal of Conflict Resolution 47(1): 33–53. , , and .
- 2006. “Understanding Interaction Models: Improving Empirical Analyses. Political Analysis 14(1): 63–82. , , and .
- 2000. Aid Dependence and Governance. Stockholm : Almqvist & Wiksell International. .
- 2004. “Foreign Aid, Institutions, and Governance in Sub-Saharan Africa. Economic Development and Cultural Change 52: 255–85. , and .
- 2005. “Ruling Parties and Regime Persistence: Explaining Durable Authoritarianism in the Third Wave Era.” University of Texas . Typescript. .
- 2001. “Authoritarian Leaders and Multiparty Elections in Africa: How Foreign Donors Help to Keep Kenya's Daniel Arap Moi in Power. Third World Quarterly 22(5): 725–39. .
- 2007. “Foreign Aid and Policy Concessions. Journal of Conflict Resolution 51: 251–84. , and .
- 2003. Logic of Political Survival. Cambridge , MA : MIT Press. , , , and .
- 1994. “Comparative Democracy: The Economic Development Thesis. American Political Science Review 88(4): 903–10. , and .
- 2000. “Aid, Policies, and Growth. American Economic Review 90: 847–68. , and .
- 1999. “Presidential Agenda Control and Spending Policy: Lessons from General Pinochet's Constitution. American Journal of Political Science 43(1): 29–55. , and .
- 2008. “Back to the Future: Modeling Time Dependence in Binary Data.” University of Rochester . Typescript. , and .
- 2004. “Counting Chickens When They Hatch: The Short-Term Effect of Aid on Growth. Center for Global Development Working Paper 44. , , and .
- 2001. Foreign Aid and Political Reform: A Comparative Analysis of Democracy Assistance and Political Conditionality. New York : Palgrave. .
- 2008. “The Curse of Aid. Journal of Economic Growth 13(3): 169–94. , , and .
- 2004. “Conditioning the Effects of Aid: Cold War Politics, Donor Credibility, and Democracy in Africa. International Organization 58: 409–23. .
- 2006. The White Man's Burden: Why the West's Efforts to Aid the Rest Have Done So Much Ill and So Little Good. New York : Penguin Press HC. .
- 2004. “New Data, New Doubts: A Comment on Burnside and Dollar's “Aid, Policies, and Growth. American Economic Review 94(3): 774–80. , , and .
- 2006. “Democratic Transitions. American Journal of Political Science 50(3): 551–69. , , , , and .
- 1998. “A Panel Data Analysis of the Fungibility of Foreign Aid. World Bank Economic Review 12(1): 29–58. , , and .
- 1986. “Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why. Journal of Development Economics 20: 225–45. , and .
- 1958. “Foreign Economic Aid. Yale Economic Review 47(4): 500–16. .
- 2006. “Cooperation, Cooptation, and Rebellion under Dictatorships. Economics and Politics 18(1): 1–26. , and .
- 2007. “Authoritarian Institutions and the Survival of Autocrats. Comparative Political Studies 40(11): 1279–1301. , and .
- 1995. “Economic Crisis and Political Regime Change: An Event History Analysis. American Political Science Review 89: 882–97. .
- 1999. “Authoritarian Breakdown: Empirical Test of a Game Theoretic Argument.” Presented at the annual meeting of the American Political Science Association, Atlanta . .
- 2003. Paradigms and Sand Castles: Theory Building and Research Design in Comparative Politics. Ann Arbor : University of Michigan. .
- 2004. “Autocratic Transitions and Democratization. Paper presented at the International Studies Association Meeting. , and .
- 1997. “Double Take: A Re-Examination of Democracy and Autocracy in Modern Polities. Journal of Conflict Resolution 41: 361–83. , and .
- 2006. “Diffusion and the International Context of Democratization. International Organization 60(4): 911–33. , and .
- 2002. “Armed Conflict 1946–2001: A New Dataset. Journal of Peace Research 39(5): 615–37. , , , , and .
- 2001. “Foreign Aid and Statehood in Africa. International Organization 55: 123–48. .
- 1992. “Foreign Aid and Insurrection. DefenseEconomics 3: 275–88. .
- 1995. The Political Economy of Democratic Transitions. Princeton , NJ : Princeton University Press. , and .
- 2005. Aid and the Resource Curse. ViewPoints 291 The World Bank Group Public Policy for the Private Sector. Available at http://rru.worldbank.org/Documents/PublicPolicyJournal/291Harford_Klein.pdf. , and .
- 2005, April. “Foreign Aid and Market-Liberalizing Reform. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper No. 3557. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=708421. , and .
- 1997. Eroding Military Influence in Brazil: Politicians against Soldiers. Chapel Hill : University of North Carolina Press. .
- 2008. “Political Terror, Election Fraud, and Foreign Aid: When Do Donors Withdraw Aid to Promote Democracy?” Presented at the annual meeting of the Midwest Political Science Association. , and .
- 2006. “Does Aid Help Improve Economic Institutions?” World Bank Policy Research Working Paper Series (3990). , and .
- 2006. “What Is Effective Aid? How Would Donors Allocate It?” World Bank Policy Research Working Paper Series (4005). .
- 2000. “Making the Most of Statistical Analyses: Improving Interpretation and Presentation. American Journal of Political Science 44(2): 347–61. , , and .
- 2004. “Does Foreign Aid Promote Democracy International Studies Quarterly 48: 251–66. .
- 2006. “How Much Is a Seat on the Security Council Worth? Foreign Aid and Bribery at the United Nations. Journal of Political Economy 114: 905–30. , and .
- 1999. Aid to Africa. Chicago : University of Chicago Press. .
- 2008. “The Cost of Shame: International Organizations and Foreign Aid in the Punishing of Human Rights Violators. Journal of Peace Research 46(1): 79–97. , and .
- 1959. “Some Social Requisites of Democracy: Economic Development and Political Legitimacy. American Political Science Review 53(1): 69–105. .
- 2006. “World Population, GDP and Per Capita GDP, 1-2003 AD.” http://www.ggdc.net/. .
- 2009. “Oil, Non-Tax Revenue, and the Redistributional Foundations of Regime Stability. International Organization 63: 107–38.
- 1990. Institutions, Institutional Change, and Economic Performance. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. .
- 2004. “Does Foreign Aid Promote the Expansion of Government. American Journal of Political Science 48(1): 77–92. .
- 1988. The Dialectics of Oppression in Zaire. Bloomington : Indiana University Press. .
- 1997. “Beyond Mobutu: Kabila and the Congo. Journal of Democracy 8(4): 70–84. .
- 1998. “Clarifying the Foreign Aid Puzzle: A Comparison of American, Japanese, French and Swedish Aid Flows. World Politics 50(2): 294–323. , , and .
- 1997. “Instrument Relevance in Multivariate Linear Models: A Simple Measure. Review of Economics and Statistics 79(2): 348–52. .
- 1988. The Politics of Military Rule in Brazil,1964–85. New York : Oxford University Press. .
- 2004. “Oil Wealth and Regime Survival in the Developing World: 1960–1999. American Journal of Political Science 48(2): 232–46. .
- 2005. “Life of the Party: The Origins of Regime Breakdown and Persistence under Single-Party Rule. World Politics 57(3): 421–51. .
- 2002. Lending Credibility: The International Monetary Fund and the Post-Communist Transition. Princeton , NJ : Princeton University Press. .
- 1999. “Aid, Growth, and Democracy. Economics and Politics 11(3): 275–97. .
- 1990. Coercion Capital and European States. New York : Blackwell. .
- 2003. The IMF and Economic Development. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. .
- 2008. “Autocratic Audience Costs: Regime Type and Signaling Resolve. International Organization 62(1): 65–101. .
- 2008. “Do Authoritarian Institutions Constrain? How Legislatures Impact Economic Growth and Investment. American Journal of Political Science 52(2): 322–43. .
- 2000. In the Footsteps of Mr. Kurtz: Living on the Brink of Disaster in Mobutu's Congo. New York : Harper Perennial. .