Chad Westerland is Assistant Professor of Political Science, School of Government and Public Policy, University of Arizona, 315 Social Sciences Building, Tucson, AZ 85721-0027 (email@example.com). Jeffrey A. Segal is Chair of Political Science and SUNY Distinguished Professor at Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794-4392 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Lee Epstein is the Beatrice Kuhn Professor of Law and Political Science at Northwestern University, 357 East Chicago Ave., Chicago, IL 60611-3069 (email@example.com). Charles M. Cameron is Professor of Politics and Public Affairs, Princeton University, 030 Corwin Hall, Princeton, NJ 80544, and visiting Professor of Law at New York University School of Law (firstname.lastname@example.org). Scott Comparato is Associate Professor of Political Science, Southern Illinois University, 1000 Faner Drive, Mailcode 4501, Carbondale, IL 62901-4501 (email@example.com).
Strategic Defiance and Compliance in the U.S. Courts of Appeals
Article first published online: 21 JUL 2010
©2010, Midwest Political Science Association
American Journal of Political Science
Volume 54, Issue 4, pages 891–905, October 2010
How to Cite
Westerland, C., Segal, J. A., Epstein, L., Cameron, C. M. and Comparato, S. (2010), Strategic Defiance and Compliance in the U.S. Courts of Appeals. American Journal of Political Science, 54: 891–905. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-5907.2010.00465.x
We presented earlier versions of this article at the 2006 annual meeting of the Midwest Political Science Association and the 2006 Empirical Legal Studies conference. We thank Raffaele Engle, Justina Geraci, Scott Graves, Nicole Liguori, Collin Hitt, Marinus van Kuilenberg, Jason Markley, Matthew Newton, Jody Pennington, and Vanessa Maldonado for research assistance. We also thank Donald Songer, Tom Hansford, Andrew D. Martin, Jim Spriggs, and Nancy Staudt for supplying valuable insights and the National Science Foundation [SES-007996] for its support. A full replication archive is available on the project's website: http://epstein.law.northwestern.edu/research/defiance.html.
- Issue published online: 21 JUL 2010
- Article first published online: 21 JUL 2010
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!