Kristin Kanthak is Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, University of Pittsburgh, 4605 Wesley W. Posvar Hall, Pittsburgh, PA 15260 (email@example.com). George A. Krause is Professor, Department of Political Science, University of Pittsburgh, 4442 Wesley W. Posvar Hall, Pittsburgh, PA 15260 (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Valuing Diversity in Political Organizations: Gender and Token Minorities in the U.S. House of Representatives
Article first published online: 21 JUL 2010
©2010, Midwest Political Science Association
American Journal of Political Science
Volume 54, Issue 4, pages 839–854, October 2010
How to Cite
Kanthak, K. and Krause, G. A. (2010), Valuing Diversity in Political Organizations: Gender and Token Minorities in the U.S. House of Representatives. American Journal of Political Science, 54: 839–854. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-5907.2010.00467.x
Earlier versions of this article were presented at the 2007 annual meeting of the Midwest Political Science Association and the 2007 EITM summer institute held at UCLA. We thank German Lodola and Maria Yang for able research assistance. We greatly benefited from the comments and suggestions of Kathy Bawn, Frank Beatrous, Damon Cann, Keith Dougherty, James Fowler, Michael Goodhart, Susan Hansen, Eric Heberlig, Robin Kolodny, Ken Meier, Becky Morton, Leslie Schwindt-Bayer, and participants at the EITM summer institute for their comments on earlier drafts of this manuscript. We are especially grateful to Amanda Driscoll for her input in the early stages of this project. Any errors that remain are the sole responsibility of the authors. Supplementary Technical Appendix is available at http://www.pitt.edu/~gkrause/kanthak&krause.AJPStechnicalappendix.pdf. Data are available at http://www.pitt.edu/~gkrause/kanthak&krause.AJPSreplicationmaterials.zip.
- Issue published online: 21 JUL 2010
- Article first published online: 21 JUL 2010
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Type your institution's name in the box below. If your institution is a Wiley customer, it will appear in the list of suggested institutions and you will be able to log in to access content. Some users may also log in directly via OpenAthens.
Please note that there are currently a number of duplicate entries in the list of institutions. We are actively working on fixing this issue and apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!