Burcu Savun is Assistant Professor of Political Science, University of Pittsburgh, 4600 Posvar Hall, Pittsburgh, PA 15260 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Daniel C. Tirone is a Ph.D. Candidate in the Department of Political Science, University of Pittsburgh, 4600 Posvar Hall, Pittsburgh, PA 15260 (email@example.com).
Foreign Aid, Democratization, and Civil Conflict: How Does Democracy Aid Affect Civil Conflict?
Article first published online: 1 FEB 2011
©2011, Midwest Political Science Association
American Journal of Political Science
Volume 55, Issue 2, pages 233–246, April 2011
How to Cite
Savun, B. and Tirone, D. C. (2011), Foreign Aid, Democratization, and Civil Conflict: How Does Democracy Aid Affect Civil Conflict?. American Journal of Political Science, 55: 233–246. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-5907.2010.00501.x
A previous version of this article was presented at the 2008 annual meeting of the Peace Science Society (International) in Claremont and the 2009 annual meeting of the American Political Science Association in Toronto. We thank Jen Laks for research assistance, and David Bearce, Finley Biggerstaff, Daniela Donno, Jim Fearon, Steve Finkel, Chuck Gochman, Ashley Leeds, Michaela Mattes, Ted Miguel, Anibal Pérez-Liñán, four anonymous reviewers, and the editor for helpful comments and suggestions. Replication data and a Supplementary Technical Appendix are available at http://www.pitt.edu/~burcu.
- Issue published online: 1 APR 2011
- Article first published online: 1 FEB 2011
This article has been cited by:
- 1Aid and institutions in transition economies, European Journal of Political Economy, 2015, 38, 55, ,
- 2Resource rents, institutions, and violent civil conflicts, Defence and Peace Economics, 2015, 26, 1, 89, ,
- 3The Influence of Aid Changes on African Election Outcomes, International Interactions, 2015, 41, 2, 201,
- 4Aiding Labor: Foreign Aid and the Promotion of Labor Rights in LDCs, Journal of Human Rights, 2014, 13, 2, 186,
- 7Risk and liberal peace: democratisation as risk management, Critical Studies on Security, 2014, 2, 3, 293,
- 8Explaining the African food riots of 2007–2008: An empirical analysis, Food Policy, 2013, 39, 28, ,
- 9Assessing Fit Quality and Testing for Misspecification in Binary-Dependent Variable Models, Political Analysis, 2012, 20, 4, 480, ,
- 10Democracy promotion and ODA: a comparative analysis, Contemporary Politics, 2012, 18, 3, 303,
- 12The Effect of Elections on Postconflict Peace and Reconstruction, The Journal of Politics, 2012, 74, 02, 558, ,