For helpful comments and discussion, we thank Fred Boehmke, Tom Clark, Robert Erikson, Andrew Gelman, Shigeo Hirano, Andrew Karch, Tom Ogorzalek, Robert Shapiro, Elizabeth Theiss Smith, Christopher Wlezien, and Gerald Wright. We also thank seminar/panel participants at the 2009 State Politics and Policy Conference, Temple University, University of California – Berkeley, Emory University, the 2010 Midwest Political Science Association Annual Meeting, the 2009 American Political Science Association Annual Meeting, and at the Russell Sage Foundation. For research assistance, we thank Jared Drucker, Jacob Feldman, and Thomas Langer. Earlier drafts of this article received the State Politics and Policy Quarterly Award for Best Paper presented at any professional meeting in 2009 and the Pi Sigma Alpha Award for Best Paper at the 2010 Annual Meeting of the Midwest Political Science Association. (Replication data can be obtained from the authors or from their faculty websites.)
The Democratic Deficit in the States
Article first published online: 1 SEP 2011
© 2011, Midwest Political Science Association
American Journal of Political Science
Volume 56, Issue 1, pages 148–166, January 2012
How to Cite
Lax, J. R. and Phillips, J. H. (2012), The Democratic Deficit in the States. American Journal of Political Science, 56: 148–166. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-5907.2011.00537.x
- Issue published online: 17 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 1 SEP 2011
Options for accessing this content:
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!