An earlier version of this article was presented at the 2009 conference on “Legislative Elections, Process, and Policy: The Influence of Bicameralism” sponsored by the Department of Political Science and the Center for the Study of Democratic Institutions at Vanderbilt University. We thank Alan Abramowitz, Joshua Clinton, John Geer, Suzanne Globetti, Christian Grose, Cindy Kam, David Lewis, Kathryn Pearson, Efren Perez, Wendy Schiller, Barbara Sinclair, Stephen Utych, and the anonymous reviewers at AJPS for their help on and assistance with this research. Replication data can be found at http://www.vanderbilt.edu/political-science/bio/bruce-oppenheimer.
The House as a Stepping Stone to the Senate: Why Do So Few African American House Members Run?
Article first published online: 4 JAN 2012
© 2012, Midwest Political Science Association
American Journal of Political Science
Volume 56, Issue 2, pages 387–399, April 2012
How to Cite
Johnson, G., Oppenheimer, B. I. and Selin, J. L. (2012), The House as a Stepping Stone to the Senate: Why Do So Few African American House Members Run?. American Journal of Political Science, 56: 387–399. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-5907.2011.00562.x
- Issue published online: 16 APR 2012
- Article first published online: 4 JAN 2012
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!