Vicki L. Smith-Daniels is Assistant Professor of Operations Management in the Department of Purchasing, Transportation and Operations at Arizona State University. She received her Ph.D. from The Ohio State University and a B.B.A. from the University of San Diego. Her current research interests are in the areas of process industries scheduling, multistage lot sizing, sequence-dependent setup-time sequencing, lot sizing in a project scheduling environment, and health care operations. Her articles have appeared in IIE Transactions, Journal of Operations Management, International Journal of Production Research, and Production and Inventory Management. She is a member of the Decision Sciences Institute, TIMS, ORSA, and APICS.
Capacity Management in Health Care Services: Review and Future Research Directions*
Version of Record online: 7 JUN 2007
Volume 19, Issue 4, pages 889–919, December 1988
How to Cite
Smith-Daniels, V. L., Schweikhart, S. B. and Smith-Daniels, D. E. (1988), Capacity Management in Health Care Services: Review and Future Research Directions. Decision Sciences, 19: 889–919. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-5915.1988.tb00310.x
This research was partially funded by a grant from the Operations Management Center, University of Minnesota. The authors would like to thank Roger Schroeder and John Anderson for comments on earlier versions of this paper.
Sharon Bergman Schweikhart is a Ph.D. candidate in operations management at the University of Minnesota. She received an M.B.A. from the University of Minnesota and a B.S. in industrial engineering from Wayne State University. Her current research interests are in the areas of health care operations management, facility location, and quality management. She is a member of the Decision Sciences Institute, IIE, and TIMS.
Dwight E. Smith-Daniels is Assistant Professor of Operations Management in the Department of Purchasing, Transportation and Operations at Arizona State University. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Arizona and a B.B.A. from the University of Michigan. His current research interests are in the areas of scheduling and materials management in project networks, use of the net present value criterion in operations scheduling, and health care management. His publications have appeared in Decision Sciences, IIE Transactions, Journal of Operations Management, and Production and Inventory Management. He is a member of the Decision Sciences Institute, TIMS, PMI, IIE, and APICS.
- Issue online: 7 JUN 2007
- Version of Record online: 7 JUN 2007
- [Received: August 20, 1986. Accepted: October 19, 1987.]
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!